Ottawa vs. Montreal for long weekend

Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:18 PM
John H

Ottawa vs. Montreal for long weekend

Hi,

I have to go to a business meeting in Ottawa next month on a Monday. Was thinking of making a long weekend of it, and flying in on Friday or Saturday.

Where would you spend your weekend, Ottawa or Montreal, and why?

Can you recommend nice, good value hotels (4* or 5*) and or moderate places to eat (maybe $10-15 lunch and $20-40 dinner)?

Finally, if I choose to spend the weekend in Montreal, how long a drive or train ride is it to Ottawa? Would you recommend driving or taking the train?

Thanks in advance for your help.

John H.

Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:48 AM
lisa

hi john,

montreal is a 2 hour train or car ride from ottawa. i would not recommend driving unless you are used to driving in our winter conditions. the train is very convenient and will get you to downtown montreal.

montreal is a great city but there is a lot to see in ottawa as well. i don't know if this is the best time of year for montreal because it is a great city to walk around in but right now we are in a deep freeze (-30 Celsius)!

Some nice hotels in Ottawa are the Westin or the Chateau Laurier. Both hotels are right on teh canal so you could rent skates and go for a skate along the canal.

lots of good restaurants are found nearby in the Byward Market.

good luck!

Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:36 AM
Susan

Hi John,

I spent a weekend in Ottawa in July and a long weekend in Montreal in Dec. Montreal is a more "happening" city and I bet most people would tell you to go there. But, I really liked Ottawa also! I would suggest you stay there since you are going there anyway.

I agree w/ Lisa's hotel suggestions. I stayed in the Chateau Laurier which was fantastic and in the BEST location. By calling and asking for corporate/weekend rates as well as Expedia, I managed to get a rate of US$100 which is fantastic for this hotel.

There is a recent Ottawa thread where someone was asking for advice on museums and such - will try to find and top for you.

You obviously won't want to bike the canals like I did but you can ice skate which should be great fun.

Susan

Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:03 PM
Sherry

John,
I too think most people will tell you to go to MOntreal for the weekend. I know we do and we live in Ottawa! But, I would think that if you are flying into Ottawa anyway, you might as well get settled in and stay. Its a lovely city, very cold right now though, but you will find enough to keep you busy. If you stay at either of the above mentioned hotels, you wont need a car, lots to do within walking distance, restaurants, etc. Enjoy whichever you choose. The train, if you decide to go to Montreal, is very convenient. Not a bad cab ride from Ottawa, and in Montreal the station is right downtown basically.

Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:19 PM
DS

John,

There is lots to see and do here in Ottawa, although you might find Montreal more exciting in terms of night life! Weather wise, I think Montreal and Ottawa are fairly similar. (which right now is pretty frigid!)

In addition to the suggestions others have posted, might I sugget you can check out Winterlude if you're here between Jan31st and Feb16th. Just heard on the news here that it's in fact the world's biggest outdoor Winter Carnival with absolutely gorgeous ice and snow sculptures. Chateau Laurier is a great hotel and is very close to the Winterlude site. In addition, skating on the Canal is lots of fun.

Winterlude: http://www.capcan.ca/winterlude/index_e.asp

For indoor attractions, Ottawa has tons of museums.

http://www.ottawakiosk.com/museum3.html

Have a great trip!

Jan 23rd, 2003, 03:42 PM
John H

Thanks for the great replies ... decisions, decisions. More feedback welcome, but Ottawa is definitely sounding attractive.

Many thanks.

John H.

Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:28 PM
Celine

If you're there during one of the Winterlude weekends (Jan.30-Feb.16th I think), then I would stay in Ottawa. You can go skating or walking on the canal, have a beavertail, and warm up at a cafe in the Byward Market.

I'm actually flying in to Ottawa next week and will be braving the freezing weather (coming from California) to be there for the Winterlude!

Ottawa is a nice city with plenty of great restaurants and stuff to do, although Montreal is great as well. But for just a long weekend, I would stay in Ottawa.

Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:32 PM
Celine

Also, definitely stay at the Chateau Laurier, perfectly location right beside shopping, Byward Market, Parliament and the canal! Everything is very close walking distance (or short taxi ride if it's cold!).

For food, there are great restaurants in the Byward Market.

Jan 24th, 2003, 04:38 AM
Sherry

Yikes, I forgot all about Winterlude starting next weekend! If you are coming for a weekend during its festivities that is great except:::: get a hotel room NOW!! If you still can. Very busy time of year, and this year its the 25th anniversary with some special activities planned. Have fun!

Jan 24th, 2003, 04:41 AM
curiousx

I love Montreal but more as a party town, which is not to put down attractions like the Musée des Beaux Arts, the Biodome, live theatre, festivals, etc.

IMO, Ottawa is better to be in 'on your own'. As well, the 'must do' tourist sites are all relatively close to each other and easy to find.

If you're into clubbing, check out the CBC Ottawa website for Matthew Crozier's rundowns of what's on.

Jan 24th, 2003, 06:20 AM
Interested

John,

Don't forget to tell us where you go, what you do and how you liked it! After sharing our experiences and ideas, we will all be interested in hearing how it goes and will probably learn some things ourselves!

Jan 24th, 2003, 11:50 AM
xxx

It depends on what you want. If you want a more relaxing and laid back time, I would recommend Ottawa. There are quite a few good museums and I always enjoy visiting Parliament. On the other hand, if you are looking for a really exciting trip, Montreal is your best bet. Naturally, there is much more to do and much more choice. Montreal has some of the best restaurants in North America (probably the world), has a great arts scene and a terrific and safe downtown and vieux-Montreal is fabulous. The Metro is easily accessible, simple and can take you anywhere you want to go.

Jan 25th, 2003, 06:43 PM
John H

Hi, all,

Thanks for the replies. I will certainly try to book hotel in Ottawa asap, given your comments about the winter festival. And, I will report back when I return.

Like you, Celine, I am leaving the warmth of California -- Northern CA (Oakland) was 70 degrees today! But, it will be fun being able to visit another climate temporarily.

Any further suggestions on moderately priced dining or pubs/drinks would be great. And, if Chateau Laurier is not available, what might be other good places to stay?

Many thanks.

John H

Mar 21st, 2003, 09:01 PM

So how was the trip? What was Winterlude like?
Mar 25th, 2003, 10:06 PM

JOHN How was the trip???