Reload this Page >

Montreal Labour Day Weekend

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 11:28 AM
CarlK

Is the Labour Day long weekend still considered high tourist season in Montreal (equal to July and August crowds)? Or am I better off to wait until mid-September when things calm down and the weather cools down?<BR>Thank-you.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 05:37 AM
CarlK

Anybody?<BR>

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 05:51 AM
zootsi

Montreal is a big, spread out city, and I don't really think crowds of tourists are a problem, other than in Old Montreal. Anytime to visit is fine, although when the weather starts to cool in mid September, you'll have less opportunities for outdoor dining, which is one of the joys of Montreal.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 07:12 AM
DianeG

Labour Day week-end is a great week-end to be in Montreal. The kids are already back in school and the weather is still good.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Donna

It's not high tourist season, but if you compare rates, you'll find them higher at many hotels that weekend, even though it's an American holiday. The best reason to visit another weekend would be crossing the border. The lines were very long Memorial Day Weekend, longer than I've ever seen them. It took us 40 minutes to cross going there, and just over an hour coming back. The per car time hasn't increased, there were just lots of cars with American plates visiting. I'm guessing more Americans are taking road trips, rather than flying, and the exchange rate has been as favorable as ever lately.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Susan

Donna, maybe I've misunderstood your post. While it may be a US holiday, Labour Day is also a Canadian holiday (I guess that's why we call it Labour and not Labor?). It's the end of summer holidays for many people and kids typically go back to school the following Tuesday. (I on the other hand will be starting my holiday on the Labour Day weekend - we'll be driving from Toronto to Quebec City for the weekend, then down to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Can't wait!)

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 06:10 PM
DianeG

Kids in Quebec will have gone back to school the week before.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 09:24 PM
Elaine

I am driving to Montreal Labor Day weekend and I am still not sure what hotel I want to stay at. I am very confused. We stayed at the Chateua Marriot and absolutely loved it but Fairmont Queen Elizabeth looks great too and rates much lower. Can you give me some advice as to where we should stay family of five.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Louis

Elaine: Both hotels are equivalent in terms of amenities and location. If rates are lower at the QE, you should go for it.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 01:24 PM
CarlK

<BR>Thank you for the responses! I am Canadian so my concern was that Labour Day could be a hard time to get a hotel. What I have discovered is that Montreal hotels seem to be much higher than normal for that weekend (in CDN $$'s). We are going to look at the middle of September with the possibility of including a jaunt over to Halifax. Thanks again!

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Leslie

I will be in Montreal over Labor Day weekend (8/30 - 9/2), and bid on Priceline for a hotel. Am staying at the Crowne Plaza in the Latin Quarter for $67 USD per night, although someone on Bidding for Travel just mentioned that he also had a successful bid in the Crowne Plaza for the same time period at $65/night USD. <BR><BR>Suggest you look at Bidding for Travel and then bid on Priceline.<BR>

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Lois

The reason hotels seem pricier than usual around Labour Day weekend probably has to do with the Int'l Film Festival in Montreal until Sept. 2. This obviously means that there is almost no availability, and certainly no deals, at any of the larger hotels, or smaller luxury properties either. Doubt Montreal hotels would look at a Priceline deal until this festival ends. Therefore, you would be best off visiting later in Sept.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:34 AM
Becky

We will be in Montreal over Labor/Labour Day weekend.My concern is about Sunday. Does it get real quite? Would this be a good time to rent a car and see something out of the city?<BR>Thanks Becky

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:46 AM
Louis

Sunday should not be "quiet". Stores and banks will be closed on Monday, except those located in tourist areas such as Vieux-Montr&eacute;al.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:47 AM
gary

It does not get 'real quiet' in Montreal on Sunday. It is a big city after all. However the weekends would be when the countryside is most busy so best save your excursions there for a weekday.