Heading to Montreal this weekend

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be checking out McGill but I understand the film festival is on so what websites should I check for venues/ film screenings etc?

We have visited the city before but it was just for an overnight. Now we have 2 nights !! to explore. Any jazz venues or events happening this weekend?

Thanks for any help...
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 04:13 AM

Hi highflyer,

I hope you arrive in the right city, as you have this tagged in Ontario.

Film: http://www.ffm-montreal.org/en_index.html

Events: pick up a free copy of The Mirror or The Hour.

JQ
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

oops! We were also going to visit the University of Toronto hence the error/ confusion on my part!

Trip is now just Montreal for 2 nights...
Old Aug 28th, 2008, 12:29 PM

If you were looking for jazz in Montreal, you should have come in late June for the Montreal International Jazz Fest! Otherwise there are few venues to check out jazz, but try Modavie, a restaurant in Old Montreal that often has live jazz playing. The food's pretty good and there should be lots of action this weekend. After that you can explore Old Montreal, which is beautiful at night. Have fun!
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, JQ and thanks for the restaurant recommendation christina. We might have made it to the jazz festival if my son had decided he was interested in McGill a couple of months ago but c'est la vie!
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 06:56 AM

Well, you'll have to make it back next year when you pick him up at the end of the school year ;-) Enjoy Montreal!
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

That's a great idea!
Old Aug 30th, 2008, 04:26 AM

You are probably already in Montreal by now, but just in case you check email...

The official tourism website for Montreal is good:
http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/What-To-Do/Events

You could also check out the House of Jazz which is very near McGill on Aylmer Street
http://www.houseofjazz.ca/english/english.htm

In addition to listing events and attractions and lodging options the tourist web site has good descriptions of the different neighborhoods.

Our older son graduated from McGill in May and just moved back from Montreal last weekend. He really enjoyed his four years there and we really enjoyed visiting him! Fortunately we are still close enough to get to the city pretty often.
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Just back and we had a good time but spent soooo long in the car! Montreal is too far for 2 nights.
My son enjoyed looking around McGill and the University of Vermont on the way home. We heard a group of drummers in the Mont Royal? park (Tam tams?) and wandered around the city. Enjoyed really good Thai food but didn't note the name of the place.

We stayed in the aloft hotel near the airport and it was very good. Big room, comfortable beds but the sheets could have been softer. Very hip vibe and aimed at twenty to thirty somethings at a guess but for $100 a night it appealed to us.
15min drive into the city and we parked at meters (free mostly at weekends but not sunday from 1-6pm?!).

Keeping my fingers crossed that he chooses to go to McGill and we'll get to visit more often (and for longer!)