Accomodations in Newfoundland/ Labrador

Apr 11th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Accomodations in Newfoundland/ Labrador

My wife and I will be travelling to Newfoundland for about two weeks this summer (late June / early July).

Here's our tentative plan

St John's 3 nights
Trinity 2 nights
Twillingate 2 nights
Gros Morne 2 nights
St Anthony 2 nights
Plum Point 1 night
Labrador 1 night
Corner Brook 1 night

Any recommendations for specific accomodations (hotels or B&B's)?
Apr 12th, 2008, 05:02 AM

For a really unique experience I recommend Quirpon Lighthouse Inn. I loved it there!

http://www.linkumtours.com/site/inns_quirpon.htm
Apr 12th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks SusieQQ but I guess I should have included that we are looking for more reasonably priced accomodations. $350 a night is well beyond our budget!
Apr 12th, 2008, 06:34 AM

Instead of staying in St. Anthony, try the Tickle Inn at Cape Onion which is nearby. It's a marvellous place in a beautiful setting. You may be lucky enough to find accommodation there, as it often is booked a year in advance.

http://www.tickleinn.net/

There are quite a few nice places in Trinity, but I would recommend the Fisher's Loft in Port Rexton, not far away.

http://www.fishersloft.com/Default.asp

If it's a bit beyond your budget, you might try the Village Inn in Trinity whose proprietor, Dr. Peter Beamish, conducts whale expeditions. Whether you stay with him or not, don't miss an opportunity to go out in a Zodiac with him.
http://www.oceancontact.com/inn/inn.html

I'm sure you know of the Trinity Pageant, and you should schedule your visit to see a performance.
Apr 12th, 2008, 06:36 AM

Just curious, what are your interests? You are planning a lot of driving. Presume you are flying into St. John's and out of Deer Lake?

Jerry
Apr 12th, 2008, 07:39 AM

Hi,

Let me give you a few recommendations of places where my wife & I have stayed:

St. John's - Of course you can find all types of accomodations in all price ranges here. For the past five years, when in the St. John's area, we have stayed at Comerford's Oceanview Suites in the town of Holyrood, about 25 minutes from downtown. These are spotlessly clean, fully furnished suites priced at CAD $79 for a one bedroom. www.irishloop.com.

Trinity - I would recommend Captain Blackmore's Heritage Manor in Port Union, which is midway between Trinity and Bonavista. This is a lovingly restored family home. www.captainblackmores.com.

Twillingate - The best we've found here is the Harbour Lights Inn B&B. www.harbourlightsinn.com.

Gros Morne - For our last four vists we've stayed at Mountain Range Cottages in Rocky Harbour. Again, very clean, fully equpped cottages in a secluded area, but only a 5 minute walk from Main Street. www.mountainrangecottages.com.

St. Anthony - The Viking Village B&B in Hay Cove, about one km. from L'Anse aux Meadows NHS is very nice. www.bbcanada.com/vikingvillage.

Plum Point - We have never stayed here, but rather in St. Barbe at the Dockside Motel. It's handy to the Labrador ferry and is clean, but nothing special. www.docksidemotel.nf.ca.

Labrador - Can strongly recommend the Seaview Cabins in Forteau. These aren't really cabins, but rather large, comfortable apartments with jacuzzi for about CAD $87. No website.

Corner Brook - Have only stayed here once and that was in the Comfort Inn. Standard accomodations with a very friendly staff.

I hope this helps a bit in making your plans.

Apr 12th, 2008, 10:32 AM

The Dockside Motel in St. Barbe is definitely nothing special. The motel in Plum Point (Plum Point Motel ) is a bit better, but also nothing special. If you go a bit further north, the Torrent River Inn in Hawkes Bay http://www.torrentriverinn.ca used to be (which I emphasize because I haven't been there lately)ok, and is more of a halfway point between St. Anthony & Deer Lake.
Apr 12th, 2008, 06:22 PM

Hi,

We stayed at the Torrent River Inn two years ago and, as stated above, it is better than the Dockside Motel. Quite comfortable with a decent restaurant.

However, it is over 100 kilometers south of St. Barbe.

Regards.
Apr 14th, 2008, 12:19 PM
LJ

I can reccomend the Glyn Mill Inn in Corner Brook or Strawberry Resort, about 15 mins. outside if you are feeling flush. Book soon, these places fill fast.

Have you double-checked your distance points on Mappyquest or other map source? You can't actually do what you suggest for some of these jaunts without driving for hours on end...for example, Labrador, for the day, just doesn't make sense. You are talking about leaving a HUGE island to go to another HUGE body of land by ferry (I am assuming ferry, perhaps you are flying?).

I love to share my enthusiasm for my home province with others and don't want to curb yours, but I also don't like to think of folks exhausting themselves.

Apr 14th, 2008, 03:33 PM

I second the Fisher's Loft near Trinity. It was the nicest place we stayed in Newfoundland. If you like to hike, there is one of the most beautiful hikes that leaves from the inn. The actors in The Shipping News stayed here while the movie was being filmed.
Apr 14th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the excellent recommendations. You people are really helping to put this trip together. Also thank you so much for your queries about interests & driving itinerary. I want to get this right.

Jerry
Re your comment "a lot of driving". The tentative plan that I listed was not intended to be chronological. We are actually arriving by ferry with our car at Port aux Basques, spending a week exploring the western side of the island (the Viking Trail), then 2 nights in the Twillingate area, 2 nights in the Trinity area, and 3 nights in the St John's area before returning by ferry via Argentia. Am I being too ambitious with this plan? Our interests are to explore the beauty of the island (maybe some short hikes), and to experience the "real" people and culture of the island.

LJ
You also seem to think my tentative plan is a bit too ambitious. Re Labrador, we were thinking of the ferry from St Barbe, visiting L'anse Amour and overnighting in L'anse au Clair and returning to NFLD the next day. Too ambitious?
Apr 15th, 2008, 05:39 AM
LJ

Well often one person's 'overly ambitious' is another's 'perfect pace', but in the case of the one day trip to Labrador, as you have now explained it, yes, you CAN do it. I had visions of you heading off for Lab City or something.

Do keep in mind for your long hauls that it is wise to avoid dawn/dusk and night-time drives as you will have moose to contend with on the island and caribou on mainland Labrador.

BTW, if you have not already booked in St. John's, you might try Maunder Manor (B&B): it is in a leafy residential area, right in town. Don and Yvonne are arguably THE best NL hosts anywhere: Tel #709-726-5304.

Have a great time!
Apr 15th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

LJ
We'll probably try and get as far as Red Bay to visit the Basque Whaling Station.
Apr 15th, 2008, 11:13 AM
LJ

Yes, depending on weather (fog and wind can really screw up the ferry timetable in that area), that should be doable and you will find it interesting.

If you are overnighting in Corner Brook, try to get out along Route 450 (road is good)to Lark Harbour, as you are interested in the old ways and the fishery. You will pass some 'untouristed' fishing villages, like Frenchman's Cove that still function to fill the fish plants of the area. If you have time stop in at Captain Cooks restaurant, one of the finest views of the meeting of land and sea at 'Blow Me Down'Park.
Sep 2nd, 2008, 05:17 AM

bookmarking. thanks