ROMANTIC SAN FRANCISCO RESTAURANT

Feb 7th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

ROMANTIC SAN FRANCISCO RESTAURANT

I am trying to find a nice romantic quaint restaurant in San Francisco to go for dinner. I prefer Zuni Cafe - which is fabulous - but they are closed on Monday's - Valentine's Day is on Monday this year. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We are staying in Nob Hill - but don't think there are many restaurants in Nob Hill.
Feb 7th, 2005, 12:07 PM

not far from nob hill is the fleur de lys, a very romantic, fine french restaurant.
Feb 7th, 2005, 12:34 PM

See if 1550 Hyde is open on Monday. It's one hill over, on Russian Hill. What could be more romantic than seeing the Hyde St. cable car roll by during your meal?

I recently went to dinner at Butterfly, which is on the Embarcadero on one of the shipping piers. It has a fabulous view of the Bay and the hills to the east. There was a jazz combo playing the night I went, and the mood was really nice.
Feb 7th, 2005, 01:22 PM

When are you talking about going, in 2006? I'm not sure about San Francisco, but there aren't many great restaurants in most cities that still have Valentine's Day reservations available just a week before!
Feb 8th, 2005, 08:14 AM

Check out Myth. It was reviewed in the Chronicle a few weeks back. They should be open on Monday. I tried to reserve because the place looked so interestng but they weren't open on Sundays when we're going to the Curran. We did reserve at La Suite instead which has also been reviewed. CHeck out either Chowhound or sfgate.com for more info.

Look into Quince as well.
Feb 8th, 2005, 09:30 AM

Quince is definitely cozy and in a neighborhood full of great old buildings (south edge of Pacific Heights bordering Japantown).

If you don't mind taking a cab, here's a restaurant in Portero Hill where I had dinner recently: Baraka on Connecticut Street. Baraka is owned by the same people who created Chez Papa (the restaurants are within a block of each other). While Chez Papa is French with a decided Provencal influence, Baraka is French with Moroccan overtones. There are a few strictly Moroccan items, i.e., the tagines (casseroles) and some desserts. Most of the menu is more French, with North African spicings and flavours. Anyway, what's romantic about Baraka is the setting - I found it very pretty, exotic and seductive without being hokey in anyway. Beautiful lighting and drapes as though you were in a Bedouin tent. I liked it a lot. I'd definitely take a date there - and it looked liked many of the diners were indeed on a date.
Feb 9th, 2005, 04:49 AM

In the Richmond District, (further out on Geary Ave, heading towards the ocean) there is a restaurant called Khan Toke. It was the first thai restaurant in San Francsico. It's between 22nd and 23rd ave, I believe, I may be off a block. They have the most amazing food, the prices are very reasonable, but the best part is the atmosphere. You take off your shoes and sit on the floor on cushions. There is low lighting, and orchids and flowers in a beautiful garden. They have a huge wine selection as well. They don't take reservations, and it's always crowded, but it's worth it. Just an idea if you don't want to do the "name" restaurants in the City.
Feb 9th, 2005, 07:39 AM

andiamo,
How you bring back memories! I remember going to Khan Toke in the '70s and being totally unprepared for the onslaught of flavour and heat from the dishes. The person who took me to Khan Toke had traveled extensively through Southeast Asia and was quite excited to find authentic Thai food in S.F. This first visit began an long-standing love of Thai, Vietnamese and Cambodian food for me.
Feb 9th, 2005, 07:44 AM

The dining room in the Huntington Hotel is quite nice. Has a wood panelled, clubby look, with a fireplace in the lounge area and green leather on the seating. It is not floral pretty, but warm and cozy. The room is The Big 4 (Four?), named after the industrial giants who first brought wealth to the area. The hotel has a web page so you can take a look.
Feb 13th, 2005, 12:55 AM

Message: Dovima, (as well as others) I'm glad I could renew some memories for you of Khan Toke's amazing thai food. I think it's my favourite restaurant in the City. I also think everyone that's ever visited me, from family to boyfriends, have gone with me to the restaurant. And, when I speak with them, even years later, that's the one memory they keep talking about! I'll think of you next time I'm there (hopefully, very soon!) I'm addicted to their food!