COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

San Francisco dining

Old May 9th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

San Francisco dining

Please recommend a good seafood restaurant for dinner on Memorial Day. Simple delicious food is what I am looking for. There are so many to choose from but I have heard conflicting reports about Tadich Grill and Hyde Street Seafood, McCormik and Kuletos, Scado's. Please help! Thank you.
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:32 PM
trippinkpj

Swan Oyster Depot. Simple, casual yet great seafood. See Citysearch link:
http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/p...ter_depot.html

Old May 10th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, they are closed on Sunday and Monday. We really wanted to go there.
Old May 10th, 2006, 08:07 AM
je

We've always enjoyed Tadich Grill for well prepared but not overly fancy seafood. Thay may not be open on a holiday though.
Old May 10th, 2006, 12:54 PM

Farallon in Union Square is really great, get a table in the main pool room. I had a really nice salmon entree at Boulevard last Sat. night if that interests you. It is located right across from the Ferry Building. ***kim***
Old May 10th, 2006, 01:12 PM

Another vote here for Tadish Grill. This is a San Francisco insttution with, just like the previous poster stated, simply prepared but always fresh and delicious.

Sam's Grill on Bush and Kearny is another SF institution. The sand dabs dish is simple, yet well worth it.

If you want 'old' San Francisco where freshness and simplicity rules, then those 2 restaurants are it.

Now, for more haute cusine type, I'd suggest Aqua (califrnia and Battery Streets) where Chef Laurent Manrique is churns out delicious seafood-based dishes in a contmporary, but very pleasant atmosphere. This one is a lot more expensive than either Tadich's or Sam's.

Reservations are a must of all 3 restaurants.
Old May 10th, 2006, 02:27 PM

Tadich does not take reservations.
I'm dying to know where "Scado's" is.
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:18 PM
SAB

Hayes Street Grill and Sam's are my personal favorites. As is Plouf for great mussels. Sam's and Plouf are downtown on Belden, Hayes Street Grill in on Hayes behind City Hall--a neighborhood worth exploring.
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:29 PM

Hi dovima..I think that Scado's is a mistype and it is Scala's. www.scalasbistro.com

I have never know Tadich Grill to take reservations either. They do have "grumpy" waiters and some visitors have been upset by the service there. Part of the "charm" so to speak. I love their petrale.

Plouf's in Belden Place does have wonderful mussels. A fun place, a former alley that has been turned into a "restaurant row" with outdoor dining.
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Neopolitan

I have mentioned before the time my partner, his two brothers, and their mother, and I all had a very expensive lunch at Tadich Grill. The mother wasn't feeling well and only had soup. But with two bottles of expensive wine and major meals, appetizers, and desserts for most of the rest of us, the bill was very high. There was an extra charge our host quesioned. It seemed they added something like $20 but because the mother didn't order the required "minimum" -- give me a break -- the rest of us ordered triple her minimum or more.

Old May 10th, 2006, 03:48 PM

Yes Neo, as I mentioned, grumpy waiters! It is fun to get a seat at the bar, have a drink and order a meal but I sure would never consider Tadich Grill a destination restaurant.
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:49 PM

As a local, the major issue that I have with Scala's is that it caters to tourists - no surprise as it is in a hotel righ smack in the middle of Union Square. Plus over the last couple of times that I've dined there on business or with an visitor staying in the hotel , the food really left me with much to be desired. The dishes are kinda confused about being Italian that's trying to be French.

On all occasions that I've dined, all on busines, I have not had issues with Tadich service. The service is not the best, but always had the better seafood and the added old San Francisco atmosphere.

Plouf at Belden Lane is quite good, but nothing spectacular as far as the dishes is concerned. Besides, the overly Euro, bodering on trash, approach by the staff doesn't quite do it for me.
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Oops. I meant Scoma's, lol. Thank you all for your help!
Old May 10th, 2006, 08:21 PM

We had comida at Scoma's in March on the way to China - simply great D. crab and Halibut washed down with Ore. Pinot Gris.
M