Dining alone in San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2003, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in SF one night on my own and need a good comfortable place to eat. I'll be staying at Embarcadero and really love GOOD food. But since I'm on my own don't feel comfortable having a table to myself, I'm thinking a great place with a full service bar. It will be a Sat. night. Any ideas?

Wendy
Old May 3rd, 2003, 05:02 PM

There is a great kitchen-facing counter at Boulevard (perennially a top 10 SF restaurant, #1 in Zagat as favorite restaurant in SF every year from 1998-2003) where it's hard to tell who is with whom. Seats about 10 as I recall. Seems to me I've been told that the counter is first come first serve, no reservations.
BLVD is a very busy place and fills early. I'd call them and ask about the counter. It's a wonderful restaurant, not cheap. Back tables have a view of the Bay and Bay Bridge.
Check www.boulevardrestaurant.com
Old May 3rd, 2003, 06:12 PM

I can't speak for Wendy, but aren't there any nice, good restaurants that don't cost an arm & a leg to have a nice dinner?

Boulevard seems like a very nice, expensive restaurant for an anniversary or special occasion. I'm going to SF for a long weekend and would like to have a nice dinner at a nice restaurant without having to "buy" the place.

Old May 3rd, 2003, 07:54 PM

Boulevard is a great choice, but yes it is pricey. You might also hop on the trolley and go down to Fog City Diner, where the counter is always busy -- great food at reasonable prices. Also near Embarcadero facing the Oakland Bridge, is Palomino where I've seen a lot of singles enjoying dinner at the "counter-bar". Another good and rather inexpensive place.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 08:05 PM

Here's another recommendation for Boulevard. The place is gorgeous, the aromas from the wood burning ovens/grills is intoxicating, the food is magnificent, the service is polished. This is a "dining experience", one of those "worth every penny" destinations.

For good, but inexpensive, there are lots of wonderful options at Belden Place. Our favorite is Plouf. And, riding over and back on the California cable car line from Embarcadero is great fun.

I'm often dubbing around San Francisco on my own while my husband is there on business. But, I prefer a table to a bar.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 10:07 PM

Might want to post the question(s) at chowhound.com. There's a bunch of real avid foodies on the San Francisco board....
Old May 4th, 2003, 08:06 AM

Wendy...the Hyatt Regency has a restaurant (I think on the 14th or 18th floor) called Equinox. It rotates 360 degrees and your views of the Golden Gate Bridge and the city are STUNNING! It's virtually dark in the restaurant after dark, only candelight, so no one will notice that you are alone! I can't recommend the food... but the drinks were great!The views were breathtaking. Have a great trip.
Old May 4th, 2003, 08:13 AM

Dear Wendy, your appreciation of GOOD food, investment and tip entitle you to a table anywhere you choose! I travel alone often, and always find excellent service and fun servers simply by entering with a smile and sence of humor. Wait people are dilighted to serve a table of one, when they find respect and happiness at that table. Please enjoy the dining of your dreams anywhere in San Francisco with a smile!
Old May 4th, 2003, 11:31 PM

Wendy-to my memory you will be at Moscone. Check out Lulu. It's in the vicinity of Moscone Center and does have a bar. I think you can order food there as well. The suggestion for Boulevard is a good one..and thanks for your tips for dining in Seattle.
Old May 5th, 2003, 08:49 AM

Wendy - do you like Japanese food? On the same street as the above-mentioned Boulevard is Ozumo, an upscale and new-style sushi bar. It's always very lively, and both the sushi and non-sushi selections are outstanding.
Old May 5th, 2003, 11:47 PM

Wendy-rethinking I'd say..try for Boulevard since you are staying in the Embarcadero. I'd call to make certain you don't need reservation though. And, since you'll be in town on a Saturday wander over to the Ferry Plaza building and check out the farmers' market and other vendors..it's not Pike Place..but it is SF. Lulu sometimes serves at the market.(Their pan roasted mussels are divine!)
Old May 7th, 2003, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your suggestions. As a few pointed out some of the restaurants were unfortunately a bit out of my price range as I was there on business and was using the company card.

I ended up eating on Stuert at Red Herring. Walked passed One Market, Boulevard and Ozumo (normally I love sushi but wasn't feeling good so it didn't sound good).

Red Herring had a perfect cozy little booth for me in their bar area. I have to say that the food was top notch. The waiter I had was the worst though. Luckily the hostess ended up waiting on me and she really knew her food and wine so my evening was really enjoyable!

Boulevard looked amazing! Interestingly enough One Market was closing for the night when I was walking back to the Hyatt. It was 10:30 on a Sat. night! I went in and asked if the bar was open for a nightcap and she said they were closing. Wow, I don't think that place will be around long if they can't get even half full on a Sat. night!

By the way I felt very safe walking to and from the restuarant by myself. No problems at all but then I'm careful as I live in a city myself.

Thanks for all your thoughts, I'm going to find a way to eat at Boulevard next time! half on my card, half on the company's should do it! haha!

Wendy
Old May 7th, 2003, 12:29 PM
itleyen

PLOUF - on Belden in the Financial District - just two blocks off Market near Post, and not far from the palace Hotel. French bistro, specializing in seafood. Be sure to call for a reservation if you desire to go. You'll love it!!