Myth Restaurant in SF

Search

Myth Restaurant in SF

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2008, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Myth Restaurant in SF

Antone eat at Myth Restaurant in SF lately? Comments or recommedations of dishes would be welcome.

Thanks
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 10:13 PM
Kal

I'm thorry.

I muthta mithed Myth my last trip to San Franthithco.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 11:34 PM

Hello Davethecat, I am not familar with the Myth Restaurant but after checking out their website it certainly appeals to me. Good location, the restaurant looks quite lovely and I like their menu. Here is their website:

http://www.mythsf.com/

If you dine at Myth please let us know how you enjoyed it. And have a wonderful time in San Francisco.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

LoveItaly- I will follow up. FYI, I lived in the city for 29 years until moving to the east bay in 2003, and I still work in the city.

We're going to Myth on Saturday for my wife's 60th birthday.

Kal- that's just thilly.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 02:08 PM

Kal, next time in Than Francithco, take Mrth Kal to the Myth.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 02:48 PM
Kal

Dave the C,
Make thure you tell uth how it wath.
And birthday withes to the mitheses.

Faina...
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

A most interesting experience, for reasons I will explain later. First, the menu is set up so that many of the dishes can either be ordered as a small plate or dinner, which is about twice the size. We ordered smaller plates of salad of greens, blue cheese, nuts (walnuts, as I recall) and pears, with vinagrette, a mushroom risotto, yellowfin tuna and the dinner portion of duck breast with a very nice sauce. I liked the salad the best, but all were very good. My wife loves sushi and thought the tuna was great, superior to the Ahi which she almost always orders when we have sushi. We each had a glass of wine. I was not very happy with the selection of wines by the glass (tried a little taste of two, then ordered a third which was OK, but not great), but that is my biggest complaint. My other small complaint is that the portions weren't very big, but we didn't walk out hungry, so that is sort of a moot point, at least for us. People who like to eat more might be more disappointed by the portion sizes. We shared a dessert of a soufle which was delicious. They remembered that I had had told them it was my wife's birthday when I made the reservation, and put a candle on the soufle. Very nicely laid out restaurant, quiet enough for us to converse comfortably. Price was $130, including a $20 tip.

The 2007 Zagat guide gives Myth a 25-25-24 score and notes that the chef is a Gary Danko protegee, so it surprised us when the waiter told us that the restaurant was closing in a month and bringing in a new chef who would revamp the menu.

There are certainly bay area restaurants I like better, but this was very good. So if my description sounds interesting to you, better get on the phone (FYI, I tried to make a reservation through OpenTable and got a message that there were no reservations within 2 hours of the time I wanted, but I called and had no problem making one) and make your reservation. I can definitely see us going back after the changes are made.

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 08:43 PM

Quite enough for us to converse comfortably"..that is a great recommendation in itself Dave. So many restaurants are so loud it is almost impossible to hold a conversation. Thanks for the feed back, and a late Happy Birthday to your wife
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 09:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
One of the contestants on this season's Top Chef is/was the chef/manager of Myth. The winner has not been selected, but I read that the contestant was leaving Myth.

MY
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Kal

Thx DC65 for the follow up.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 01:22 PM
SAB

Myth has been sold and yes the executive chef O'Brien is leaving (or has left already since he was only staying until Feb) but no, he is not the contestant on Top Chef. That person is/was the chef at Myth CAFE, which is not the restaurant, but the cafe next door, which only serves breakfast and lunch.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

I believe the Cafe has already closed. In fact, as we approached the restaurant, I became a little scared because I saw that the cafe (on the corner) was closed (of course, it would have been anyway, since it was around 6:45 PM); fortunately, the restaurant (middle of the block) was not.

Oh- the semi-surprise birthday party on Sunday was an even bigger hit. My girl is very happy.

Happy eating.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 01:46 PM

I was going to post the same thing -- which is that I heard Myth closed.

I was there about a month ago. As a previous poster mentioned, there are some smaller plates and entrees. I had a salad with roasted beets and blue cheese, but was envious of a fellow diner's peekytoe crab salad. I ordered a pork chop that was so salty as to be almost inedible. My husband's fish, on the other hand, was divine. Desserts were good, but not memorable. It seemed like a little bit of a "scene" for us. Preferred Boulevard.