Restaurants in Williamsburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family will be traveling to Williamsburg in November. I'm looking for a good restaurant, that might have a private room for 10, to celebrate my sister-in-law's 25th wedding anniversary. I e-mailed The Trellis restaurant for information, but wanted more places to compare this restaurant to. Any suggestions??
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 11:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You might consider one of the Colonial Williamsburg taverns. I've attended private parties at Shields and Kings Arms Taverns. More upscale would be a private room at the Dining Room At Ford's Colony (contact info at fordscolony.com). A bit more relaxed would be the Cities Grille which a very popular place with locals.

I think the Trellis is over-rated and resting on past laurels. Still have to die for desserts though.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 12:24 PM

Besides the Trellis, which gets almost consistently good reviews, you might want to check with Berrett's Seafood in the Marketplace Shopping Center (very near The Trellis, by the way). I never visit Williamsburg without eating at least one meal at Berrett's.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 02:47 PM

Lauren,

Do you mean Merchant Square? I agree Berrett's is a very fine restaurant.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 03:36 PM

Lower cost but terrific food is The Whaling Company on route 60 just a few miles from colonial area. They have great seafood and meeting rooms, they are busy all the time. I also second City Grill, or one of the Colonial wmsbg taverns.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 04:05 PM

We travel to Wmsbrg. at least once per year (for the last 20 years) and I agree that the Trellis and Berrets are tops!. The Williamsburg Inn is classy, but overpriced. The taverns are not only too crowded (and they rush you thru dinner) but the food (my opinion) is not as good. It is nice to eat at one of the taverns for the experience (Christina Campbells is my choice b/c they have the most seafood selections), but the taverns do not serve the best food.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 06:46 PM

Yes, obxgirl, I meant Merchant Square, not Market Square. Thanks for posting the correction so people would not get confused.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 08:37 PM

ttt
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 08:38 PM

country french-

Here is the link:

Le Yaca (757) 220-3616 $$$
French cuisine at itys best, this award winning restaurant is located in the quaint Village Shops at Kingsmill. Considered one of the top restaurants in the Hampton Roads area, Le Yaca is known for its innovative cuisine and charming but elegant French country atmosphere. Reservations Recommended

and if you want to do a short drive to Yorktown, there is Nick's Seafood across the street from the water--

Nickys Seafood Pavilion (757) 564-3200 $$y$$$
Well worth the beautiful drive down the Colonial Parkway to Yorktownys waterfront, Nickys Seafood Pavilion has remained a landmark for good eating for over 50 years. Menu highlights include Lobster Dien Bien Rice, Seafood Shish-Kebab, Shrimp Givitsi plus the finest steaks and fabulous salad creations. Reservations Suggested.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 09:38 PM

If you cross the bridge to Glouster, you might enjoy the River House, especially for brunch. It is right on the water and has replaced my old favorite the Cascades as the best place for brunch.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your input! Will definitely look into the seafood restaurants as the majority of our family enjoys this the best.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 02:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
The last I heard is that Nick's is closed. The River House is actually River's Inn. River's Inn is very good but I don't think they have a private room. Whaling Co. does have good food but it has a fairly "touristy" atmosphere. It depends on what you want. If you were looking at the quality of the Trellis, Le Yaca would provide a lovely meal but I would look at the menu. It is fairly limited and french. Also look at White Hall on Jamestown Rd. They have lovely private rooms and the food is delicious. A varied continental menu with a German slant. Ford's Colony and the Inn are at the top of the heap with prices to match. Cities Grill is great but does not have a private room. Happy hunting!
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 02:50 PM

Thanks for the correction on the River's Inn. I have only been there once and was not 100% sure of the name.

Once you cross the bridge, you make a right and follow the signs. I do plan to have brunch there the next time I go to Williamsburg.
Old Apr 27th, 2003, 04:58 PM

Birdie,

The Cities Grille has a space adjacent to the main restaurant for private parties.

This has been an interesting thread as Wmburg is not especially known as a foodie town.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:29 AM

Cities Grill would be worth checking out but I think they expanded that adjacent area into another larger second room for the restaurant. Things may be slow enough in Nov to close it for a private party. I have found, however, that CG stays busy on weekends because it is such a locals' choice. Sometimes they do private parties in the wine shop but you still have wine buyers mingling around your table.
Old May 7th, 2003, 05:36 AM

oops, Saw an ad for Nick's. I guess it is still open. My apologies.