Williamsburg Restaurant Suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be visiting Williamsburg the end of August and would like to take friends out to dinner. Are there any "authentic" colonial restaurants in the village that are atmospheric and good? Other suggestions would be welcomed too.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 11:52 AM

Yes, based on your specific schedule there are 3-4 authentic Taverns in CW. Try www.history.org. In keeping with my handle, consider eating at the Williamsburg Lodge. As of this past May, I thought that the atmosphere and food was as good there as it was at the terribly overpriced taverns for a fraction of the cost.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 12:14 PM

The colonial taverns may be overpriced, but the atmosphere is authentic. You can ck the menus online since different taverns specialize in different foods - Christiana Campbells-seafood, etc. They are also open for lunch so that might be an option. In the evenings and sometimes during lunch, strolling musicians singing ballads also add to the atmosphere. However, dinner by candlelight in an old building is pretty cool in my opinion.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 12:43 PM

Almost forgot - after you pick the Tavern restaurant of your choice, make reservations immediately - they fill quickly.You can always cancel at a later date
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 02:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm going to assume that if you're interested in taking folks out to eat that you're looking for a nicer dinner venue.

Colonial Williamsburg has revamped their restaurants recently. There are 4 colonial taverns operated by CW::

Kings Arms (entrees start at $25)
Christiana Campbells (entrees start at $25)
Shields (set menu at $37 or close to that)
Chownings Tavern (burgers etc $8-$15)

The first three are very charming places to eat in the evening, especially by candlelight and music. The food is good but not extraordinarily so given the prices. Chownings is less expensive but serves burgers and BBQ. The atmosphere is like a pub, loud and fun with colonial entertainment. Great place for an after dinner drink. Agree with the suggestion to make a booking now for the first three on the list. Chownings is first come, first serve.

The restaurant at the Williamsburg Lodge (also operated by CW) has downscaled their menu. The food will be an equivalent quality as those places above but without the atmosphere. Not saying the atmosphere isn't nice, it is, but it's not the colonial atmosphere. Entrees here are in the $15-$20 range.

In the same price range or slightly less as the menu's at the pricier taverns:

The Fat Canary in Merchant Square next to the restored area. Small and very popular. Bookings definitely required here. Might be too late for late August.

A perennial favorite is The Trellis which very very popular and boasts an awarding winning chef (who hasn't cooked there in years). I find this place too crowded and the food over-rated. It's worth a visit post dinner for dessert, particularly for the famed Death By Chocolate.

Also popular in the Merchant Square area is Berret's Seafood Restaurant which is very good and a pleasant atmosphere.

If you're willing to go about 30 minutes into the countryside there is a lovely restaurant in a big old farm house called Indian Fields Tavern. Quiet and romantic atmosphere for dining and the drive is very pretty. We taken friend here often for dinners on the big screened porch.

Just say so if you're looking for more casual places.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for all the suggestions. It's exactly what I want . . .we'll be there two night!
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 03:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The Williamsburg Inn is pricey and very nice. The food was excellent when I was there a few years ago. If you want to take them out really nice, this is the place. The inn is very pretty. I found the food at the lodge not much to talk about. Also the taverns and the trellis were so so. There is the Whaling CO. which is pretty good with a normal restaurant atmosphere. (seafood)
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 05:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Wmburg Inn's Regency Room is a very formal occasion, to the point of being stuffy. Food is first rate and priced accordingly. A special event sort of place.

The Inn is, in MHO, an anachronism. Colonial Wmbg hasn't figured out how to attract a 21st C. clientle with a 1950's sensibility.

The Whaling Co. is pretty good for food. Gets a big tourist trade. A bit like the Olive Garden with fins.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 06:41 PM

The Whaling Company is very good. It is popular among locals. Another authentic Virginia landmark - tho not from Colonial times - is Pierce's Pitt Cooked Barbecue, a short drive from Colonial Wmsbg. Not at all fancy, but terrific BBQ slow cooked on the only licensed open pit in Virginia. they serve breakfast too! For directions go to http://www.pierces.com/dir.html
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 01:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Another colonial atmosphere restaurant is The Kitchen at Powhatan Plantation. A tiny place with a lot of game on the menu. It is in a timeshare about 10 min from the historic area. I've always had good food there. I second the recommendation for Indian Fields. It is a drive out there but an easy and pretty one. Its right on Rt. 5 amongst the plantations.