Williamsburg Restaurant

Jul 1st, 2009, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Williamsburg Restaurant

My family and I will be spending 4 days in Williamsburg at the end of the month. I need help with suggestions for good, reasonably priced restaurants for lunch and dinner. Please share your favorites. I know we want to try at least a tavern for lunch and one for dinner. My children are 15 and 11. Thanks.
Jul 1st, 2009, 01:23 PM

According to my budget, the Taverns in Historic Williamsburg were priced above what I consider "reasonably priced." They are worth the splurge once for the experience. For reasonably priced eateries you will find cafes in the adjacent hotels and in the Merchants Square commercial shopping village that borders the historic park. One place we particularly liked for reasonable prices and good food in Merchants Square was Trellis Restaurant. If you do plan to eat in a Tavern I would recommend putting your name in about an hour before you want to eat because there can be waits up to that long.
Jul 1st, 2009, 01:24 PM

I don't know if the taverns are worth a lunch and a dinner but that's up to you. I like dinner at a tavern because of the candlelight. There are several good restaurants within walking distance of the historic district that you can find lunch at. You can always get sandwiches at the Cheese Shop right there on Merchant's Square and eat at an outdoor table, bench, or carry them to a grassy spot. One street over behind Baskin Robbins is Retros which has very good fries, hot dogs, burgers, etc. Near there is Aromas, a coffee shop with sandwiches etc. Also in Merchant's Square for dinner or nicer lunches is Fat Canary, Blue Talon, and the Trellis. There is also Berrets (I prefer their patio menu) and Seasons which has never been a favorite. Behind the Williamsburg Inn is the Golden Horsehoe Golf Course restaurant which is also good for lunch.

There are several other good restaurants elsewhere in Willimsburg. You can do a search here or let me know where you are staying, your other plans and what type of food you like. I would recommend going into Kingsmill and down to the marina for a sunset dinner on a weekday. It is in a beautiful setting.
Jul 1st, 2009, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your quick responses. The tavern meals were solely meant for the "experience", however, based on some menu prices I just saw, ONE dinner will be just fine to splurge. Thanks for the other options as well -- a sunset dinner sounds great. I have reservations at both the Marriott Williamsburg and the Crowne Plaza. I am leaning toward the Marriot.
Jul 1st, 2009, 02:45 PM

I took my son on a college visit to W&M last year and we had a nice lunch at Seasons in Merchant Square. I liked the fact that they had a fresh fruit salad/chicken salad that served as a main dish--very tasty and a light choice for a warm day. In the evening we ate at Aberdeen Barn which we both liked as well, especially the cheddar cheese spread appetizer which is gratis. They have good dinner specials (July's special looks great!) and we experienced attentive, professional service by our waitress. Check out both restaurant's websites for menus and details. (BTW, reservations are not required, but we were glad we made them because it was busy the night we were there.)
Jul 1st, 2009, 03:59 PM

lewright - The Marriott is right at the entrance to Kingsmill. Have you looked at Kingsmill to stay? They are running specials because occupancy is really down this summer. It may even be worth it to call and ask what is the lowest price they'll offer. Kingsmill would be great place for kids the age of yours. Lots of things to do plus shuttles to Busch Gardens and Colonial Williamsburg.

Other places to eat at that side of town are: Emerald (thai), Doraldo's (Italian), Whaling Company (very touristy looking but good seafood)
Jul 8th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Birdie, thank you for the pointer to Kingsmill. We've booked a room there and are taking advantage of one of their packages. It's a little more than we planned, but when we added the options we will take advantage of, it's not that bad.
Jul 9th, 2009, 04:54 AM

I think your kids will like Kingsmill. I hope the beautiful weather we are having now continues for you. Some activities at Kingsmill your kids might enjoy: kayaking or fishing on the pond, sunning on the beach at the river, lunch at the pool, hanging out at the game room, renting bikes and riding the loop, nine holes on the Bray (I don't know if they are still doing night golf. That is a lot of fun!), a tennis clinic... Regatta's at the sports club is a good, casual restaurant, Eagles is very pricey but has a good breakfast. I don't eat at the Bray so I can't comment on it. If you have any questions, let me know.
Jul 11th, 2009, 07:09 AM

I just posted a trip report on Williamsburg - lots of low cost suggestions