Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive dining in Times Square area. Is it possible?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2000, 05:20 AM
Nicole

I did research this forum and some other sources for restaurants in Times Square area where we are going to stay for four nights in September. However, I rather not spend a few hundred dollars for the two of us. Is it possible to have a great dinner under $100 for two? Thanks

Old Aug 10th, 2000, 06:44 AM
hamlet

You can DEFINITELY spend less than $100 on dinner for 2 people and still have a good meal. Let us know what kind of food you do or don't like and I'm sure many suggestions will follow. (and you can spend less than $100 away from Time Square too!)

Old Aug 10th, 2000, 06:47 AM
lisa

Yes. Check out Le Madelaine; it's wonderful. Osteria del Circo is just outside the Times Square area (west 50s rather than west 40s -- a nice walk) and it's by the same people who own Le Cirque but it's a lot less expensive. Joe Allen is good and reasonably-priced and right on Restaurant Row. Great pizza at John's Pizzeria, also close to Times Square. A good source for checking out restaurant recommendations is newyork.sidewalk.com.

Old Aug 10th, 2000, 07:26 AM
tweedy

There are litterally hundreds of restaurants right in the times square area, and there are something like 10,000 restaurants just in Manhattan alone, so find a few good ones should be not much of a problem. That said, here area few of our favs.

Cafe 1,2,3 is right off Time Square and is very good for pre or after dinner.
We also like Restaurant Row which is just a couple of blocks away, between 8th and 9th on 44th or 45th and you will understand why it is called "Restaurant Row" every building has a restaurant. Here you will find just about anything your palate craves and some good prices. Browse the windows and pick one.

A fun time and good food is the Stardust Dinner which is on B'way at 48th or 49th, fun food and all the waiters sing. 50's theme.

Mars 2112 is right across the street, another theme place and fun, ok food.

Very good Japanese restaurant right next to "Cats" on B'way, no need for reservations there and very good food.

For good but cheap Ollie's Chinese restaurant is right on the corner of 8th and 44th.

If you need more suggestions, let me know and I can get out my Zaggats.

Hope you have a great time here.

tweedy

Old Aug 10th, 2000, 09:04 AM
simpson

I recently enjoyed a good dinner at the Hourglass restaurant at the far end of restaurant row. Probably about $75 (for two, with a bottle of wine). Friendly service and interesting decor (funky and cozy). Remember - if you are not going to the theatre you can most often get a table anywhere in this area between 7 and 9. (Promise to vacate by 9:30 or so; BTW, the Hourglass has a fun way to reinforce this.)

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 07:38 AM
ANGIE

check out RUBY FOO`S 49th and broadway,
dim sum,sushi very extensive menu with proper desserts and great cocktails.
good for little snacks or banquet type meals.

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 07:42 AM
TC

We love West Bank Cafe at 42nd and 9th Ave. Great food at reasonable prices. Also like Marlowe's which is right next door to Joe Allen - better prices and great outdoor dining. For Thai, try Pong Sri at 48th (between 8th and Broadway) or for Japanese try Hakata in the same block.

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 12:21 PM
Christine Damp

Hi Nicole.

I was in New York City last November. It was my first trip there. It was fantastic, and I know you will love each moment of it. Times Square has several different places to eat. We stopped at a pizza joint (cant remember the name of it, but its in time square) and they had the best slices of pizza. Also, I would highly recommend eating at The Brooklyn Diner around 54th street across from the Hard Rock Cafe, you will need to take a cab, but the food is fantastic, great atomosphere and reasonable prices. You will love it. You will find many places to dine just by walking around at sight seeing. the Times sqare brewery is also suppost to be great, and it's right in the middle of Times square, it has a big cut out of the Concord on the front of the building. Also, the hotdog stands and honey roasted peanut stands on all the corners of the streets are good, try a hotdog!! I am sure you will find many places to eat with great food, variety, and with reasonable prices. Have a great trip. I am going back in November again. If you have any questions on where to go or what to do, email me, and I will be happy to talk to you.!

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 03:37 PM
Debbie

Nicole-as previously posted, lots of choices, in all price ranges, in the Times Sq Area. We've enjoyed eating at the Times Square Brewery-the food's good, service is fast, but the view (go up to the 2nd floor) is the best part-of course, try and request a window table for the best views of what's going on in the Square. ENJOY!!

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 04:55 PM
em

Try Nocello (spelling?); Run about $50 if you have wine & dessert. Very nice italian. Check out zagat & timeout

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 06:35 AM
topper

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You people are wonderful! First time to NYC in about fifty years and making it a Rockettes,The producers and an all day "see the city"tour including boat to island,etc. WE are excited - First week December so you all have really helped to decide on what 2 do with little time free only one extra day(eating & walking)Already thinking about sprintime return and haven't left yet! Hoohah
Woodstock,Georgia
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 11:50 AM

You definitely can! I really like Pietrasanta, located at 47th and 9th. Another good, cozy place is the Hourglass Tavern, on the corner of 46th and 9th.

You can also stroll down 46th Street (Restaurant Row) and the immediate area and see what strikes you, as most places have menus outside.

Enjoy!
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 12:07 PM
GoTravel

""Very good Japanese restaurant right next to "Cats" on B'way, no need for reservations there and very good food. ""

howmyr, the above information is over five years old. I would try to find a more recent post.

BTW, the Brooklyn Diner is on West 57th Street not 54th.

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 12:23 PM

topping. YUM!! Just to digress a little, does anyone have similar suggestions for us, we are staying across from Madison Square Garden, at xmas time. We enjoy good size breakfast, light lunch, and will probably eat casually for dinner. 2 adults & 17 & 19 yr olds. Not really into Asian, love italian and enjoy 'good' tavern/pub type atmosphere & food. STill trying to decide where to have xmas lunch/dinner?
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 02:20 PM

I'd suggest Virgils BBQ on 42nd St. I believe. Best BBQ we've ever had and fun atmosphere and great service! They had a BBQ shrimp dish that my mouth is watering for right now!
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 07:09 AM

We also like Pierre Au Tunnel for French, Zen Palate for Oriental vegetarian and the Dervish for Turkish.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Just down the street from the Marriot Marquis is John's Pizzeria, a very nice place that is the site of an old church - excellent pizza and good Italian. Just down the street from John's Pizzeria is Puleo's Italian Restaurant also Puleo's Two on the second floor. Good Italian and not too expensive...have fun!
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 12:17 PM

We recently had a terrific meal at Puttanesca on 9th & 56th St. 3 of us for just over $100.

Have a great time!
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 01:01 PM

If you like Mexican food, there are two places on Tenth Avenue in the high 40s where two can eat for less than $20. Tehuitzingo and Del Valle. These are very, very low key places where you can wear anything. Do not expect "atmosphere," though. Either would be a good choice for adventurous diners; I doubt if you will see many tourists.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -