COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Restaurants in New York City

Old Oct 9th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Restaurants in New York City

What restaurants do you recommend in New York City that is good but not over priced...Staying near Times Square but willing to taxi to any area....thanks.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 05:42 PM

You might do a search on this board, since this subject comes up ALL the time and there are ALOT of threads. Also we have not kidding more than 10,000 restaurants in MANHATTAN, and that works out to more than 1 per block, so you won't have a problem finding something that you like within your budget.

Also get a Zagat Guide to keep handy while you are here, so whereever you end up you can find a restaurant within walking distance.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 05:54 PM

You need to give us a type or types of cuisines that you like and what you mean by not over priced.

There are some places that are awful and overpriced at $15 - and others that are great and not overpriced at $150 or even more. Times Square specialized in a lot of overprices places - either local - or the same awful chain places you will find at the local mall - but at much higher prices. If you go over to 9th Ave you will find a lot of ethnic places usualy modest to moderate and some quite good.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 12:02 AM

Whether or not you think of a place as "overpriced," don't forget to include an additional 25-30% to your bill for tax and tip.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 01:37 AM

I have found that most people who say "overpriced" really simply mean "expensive". To me, Olive Garden or even MacDonald's may be "overpriced", but a $117 for a fantastic meal at LeBernardin is NOT overpriced.

But for meals that are better quality than their prices might seem to suggest, I agree that many of the restaurants along 9th Ave. between 42nd and mayb 52nd are hard to beat.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 04:52 AM

I would assume with such an open ended question, you don't realize how many thousands of restaurants there are in NYC. Menupages.com is one place where you can do some research by area, by type of food. Times Square area is "midtown west" or west 40's or west 50's to be more specific to your hotel. A lot of restaurants in the area offer prix fixe meals (a set price for 2 or 3 courses) or pre theater menus if you eat before a certain time. Sometimes you have to ask for that menu if it's not offered.

Saju Bistro connected the Mela hotel is one place I've had a very good pre theater meal for ~ $30/person. I'd read about the prix fixe online (I notice they don't give a price for it now on their website). When we sat down, we were not given the pre theater menu but had to ask for it. Mussels, soup and hanger steak were all good. West Bank Cafe is a reliable place, also with a $30 meal but also affordable a la carte items. http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/west-bank-cafe/

46th st between 8th & 9th ave. is known as restaurant row. While some of the places on the block are a bit touristy (and one really bad option, Joe's Steakhouse-do NOT go there) there are a few good choices. Joe Allen's is a popular theater hangout serving simple American food like meatloaf, burgers, salads, chicken. It's quite popular so you need a reservation. The Hourglass Tavern at the end of the block is pretty good. http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/hourglass-tavern/
http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/saju/
Becco is a popular Italian with a $20 all you can eat pasta dinner (another must for a reservation). Tables are close and I'm not a big fan, but lots like this place. I prefer Basilica on 8th ave. http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/basilica/ In fact, there are a bunch of restaurants now along 9th ave. (known as Hell's Kitchen) that are good and more reasonably priced. There's a Mexican place called Hell's Kitchen that's quite good.

What you should avoid in Times Square are any of the national chains (Applebees, TGI Fridays etc.) because they tend to be poor quality at inflated prices.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 05:16 AM

And here is a famous list of places from Aduchamp:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...urant-list.cfm
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 06:57 AM

Recently returned from a 4 day trip to NYC. Had a lovely lunch at the cafe at the Neue Museum. It was lovely and not overly expensive and kind of Vienna/Austrian in nature. Wonderful desserts too.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 07:01 AM

We liked Trattoria Trecolori. Carmine's was fun, but their portions are huge. One entree is easily enough for two or three people. The pizza at John's Pizzeria was delicious and the architecture is pretty cool since it's built in an old church. Not sure if these are the types of places you're looking for, but they're very convenient to Times Square and the Theater District.
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 07:06 PM

I go to NYC slot for busines and visit daughter in law school. I agree with using Zagat as a guide, but here are some favorites (in no particular order, non-high end,
Tao (59th and Madison), the Meatball Shop (Stanton St in LES), The Burger Joint (Le Parker Meridian hotel)or JG Mellons (3rd and 73rd), Joe Shangahi (Pell St), Fig and Olive or Spice Market (meatpacking), Cabana (3rd and 62nd), Bubby's, Oedon or Landmarc (Tribeca), Blue Ribbon (Soho) and Del Frisco's (6th and 49th).
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 07:03 AM

From one of those New York restaurant threads, we got the recommendation to dine at Aldea and I must say, we had a fantastic meal (we took the grazing menu with matching wines) at a most reasonable rate.

Thanks again, Aduchamp and other Fodorites!
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 07:26 AM

Considering the vagueness of the OP's request and the fact that he/she hasn't come back to this thread with any response since the original posting, I'd recommend we all ignore it!
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 08:43 AM

You are welcome Echnaton for whatever I said.
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 08:59 AM

OK, Aduchamp1, that's a legitimate exception to my suggestion!
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 09:04 AM

Ironman has topped a bunch of old NYC threads. Don't keep answering them.
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 09:22 AM

Guys - I'm also going to NYC for Christmas with my family - we are British - and the above suggestions have been very useful to me, so thank you - will follow them up. I think we are staying on the East side of Manhatten - 3rd and near the big station.
Thank you.
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 12:15 PM

Ironman's topping is very odd indeed. I even noticed he topped his own post asking for Spain suggestions over a year ago today and added "thanks, I'll keep using these as I keep planning" or something like that. So I guess it took a year to get back to his own questons for a trip that may be several years away yet?
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 01:11 PM

As noted by Jane Jamieson above sometimes old threads can be useful. If the poster is topping with current information what difference does it make?
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 04:46 PM

Um, the "big station" on the east side would be rand Central - as opposed to the big station on the west side Penn Station. the latter is truly awful, but Grand Central is interesting to visit (have a good look at the ceiling - and has several interesting places to eat - including the Oyster Bar and Campbell Apartment is good for drinks.