Cheap Eats; UWS New York City

Mar 22nd, 2007, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Cheap Eats; UWS New York City

We got a great rate at the Lucerne Hotel in the UWS. Their restaurant is not horribly expensive, but want to explore some other alternatives close by that are "cheap". Looking for a place for a basic breakfast (not a buffet), deli food, Mexican, Italian or Seafood. Actually, we're pretty open. Prices? Breakfast/lunch under $10 per person and dinner $15 or under for an entree. Thanks a lot.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 01:43 PM

www.menupages.com

Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:26 PM

well, you'll certainly be in the right neighborhood for some cheap eats. The 5 or 6 blocks just north of the hotel are FILLED with such restaurants.
A few ideas:
For Breakfast (or lunch or dinner)EJs(retro diner but better quality)
Cafe Con Leche (brunch/lunch or dinner)(Cuban/dominican)
McAleer's (bar with good burgers)
Artie's Deli
As you've mentioned, the resto in the hotel, Nice Matin is very good and not terribly expensive, but the places I've mentioned fall into the cheap category you've asked for. all should have menus on menupages but know that the listings there are sometimes a little out of date with prices
Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:34 PM

Yes as Janie mentions this neighborhood is packed with restaurants. This website lets you look at a list of stores and restaurants block by block http://www.nysite.com/westside/blocks/a80.htm (this is for the corner where the Lucerne is, but you can go up or down the listings, east and west too)
Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:35 PM

1st of all go to:
hopstop.com
Put in your hotel address and then "map" it.
It will give you a choice such as *attractions", "hotels", "restaurants". Click on restaurants.
A whole list will come up - they are listed by which one is the closest to your hotel.

I always have menupages.com in another window and then I check out the restaurants on it - to see the rating and the $$$. You can also look at the menu. If you like this, add it to your menu pages.

When you are through, just print it out and you'll be set! You may need to "subscribe" to My Menu Pages before you can save it.

Good luck.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:39 PM

It's right down the street from the Hampton Chutney Co., which is different but very good. My favorite is their chicken, goat cheese, and spinach dosa with tomato chutney.

http://www.hamptonchutney.com/
Mar 22nd, 2007, 05:25 PM

Just walk up and down Broadway, Amsterdam and Columbus and you'll find a ton of inexpensvie places. as long as there are lot of customers the food wil be fine (you're not going to get great at those prices).

Agree on Cafe con Leche for dominican

Try Pampas for Argentinian

There's an interesting Ethiopian place on Broadway around 86

For Italian you'll get only pasta for under $15 - meat dises will be more. Check out Bella Luna on Columbus for very nice at a decent price.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:06 PM

Flor de Mayo - Peruvian chicken. It is on 83rd and Amsterdam.

Also, Saigon Grill, 92nd (or so) and Columbus. Almost as good as chinatown.

Well within budget. They also deliver.

I live on West End Ave in the low 80s.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:07 PM

Also, Coppola's (decent red sauce Italian) is right across the street from the Lucerne. Some of the items will be within budget.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 11:53 PM

Zabar's deli is only a block or two away as is H & H bagels. When we stayed at the Lucerne, we did receive a 10% discount at their restaurant which was helpful.

Have a great trip!
Mar 23rd, 2007, 02:14 AM

One of my favorite MTW places just opened up a 2nd spot on Columbus around 85th---Vynyl fun place, good food, and pretty cheap.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 03:04 AM

Also, Arte Cafe on 73rd and Columbus has good food on the less expensive end of things. Last time I looked there was some discount offered on diningfever.com which has some other good deals as well.

For breakfast, there is a Cosi at Bway &76 For decent cheap Chinese, there is Ollies at Bway & 84th.