New York City Restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading all the guidebooks from the local library, and the postings on this site. I'm almost ready to make decisions (tentative) about where to eat when we're in NYC in late August. We have tickets to 4 shows--Hairspray, Producers, Mamma Mia and La Mancha. I'm looking for more info on some restaurants. My husband is a meat and potatoes--steak guy and I like a little adventure in my life. We can eat at the nice places, but don't want to drop $100 per person every night. Here's the ones I've read about or heard about. Can somebody tell me a)price range? b)reservations needed? c)a good choice? d)where is it? e)what to order--your favorite?
1. La Bonne Soupe b? c? e?
2. Churrascaria Plataforma b? c? e?
3. Sarabeth's Kitchen b? c? e?
4. Brazil Grill b? c? e?
5. Hourglass Tavern b? c? e?
6. Pietrasanta b? c? e?
7. World Yacht Dinner Cruise c? e?
8. Brunch at Tavern a? c? e?
9. Benito One b? c? e?
10. Del Frisco's a? b? c? e?
11. Due Amici a? b? c? d? e?
12. "Sam's in the theater dist" a?b?c?d?e?
Thanks
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 04:07 AM

An interesting group!
#3--Sarabeth's is a good choice for both dinner and Sunday brunch. Definitely make dinner reservations. However, they're not accepted for brunch,which is popular, good and crowded. If you go, go early.
#7--World Yacht Cruise--Great views, but very average and very expensive food! I'd recommend a non-dining sundown/evening cruise and then dinner elsewhere.
#12--Sam's--a decent, inexpensive place for lunch or dinner in the theater district. Similar menu to Joe Allen's. (Actually, the restaurant's original owner used to work at Joe Allen's.) It's located in the heart of the theater district on West 45th Street, between Times Square and Eighth Avenue on the north side of the street. Usually, you don't need reservations, but it's always safest to make them for pre-theater dining anywhere in the theater district.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 08:42 AM

2. b) yes c) yes, if you don't mind lively e) there's an enormous salad bar with lots of unique South American items followed by the non-stop skewered meats sliced at your table.

I would suggest taking it easy on the salad bar, so you have plenty of room for the delicious meats. The different types of beef are paticularly good.

Don't forget to have a few of the traditional Brazilian drinks made with with Cachaca. I don't know about the spelling, but it's called a caipirinha.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 09:45 AM
BAK

Sarabeth's Kitchen, to the best of my knoweldge, is underneath the Hotel Wales, a gem, (the hotel, and probably the restaurant) but a long way from most of touristy New York.

But if you want a long walk, the walk up madison Avenue is interesing and fun, and,many blcoks later, you'll get a good meal at Sarabeth's.

I suggest one serious New York steak for your husband, and my choice for a new York experience is Smith & Wollensky's, which is just "behind" the Waldorf Astoria. Assume $100 each for dinner, but you could chop a third off by going for lunch.

Is 8 Tavern on the Green? I've only toured the restauaant, never eaten there, but it is on my list, again for good food combined with a New York experience.

BAK
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 06:20 AM
Eva

Nancy- The Hourglass is a funky little place in a great location in the theater district. I haven't eaten there in a while but remember the food as being very good and inexpensive. As with any place in the theater district, you should try for reservations. Las time I walked by I checked out the menu and the entrees all seemed to be under $20.

La Bonne Soupe is excellent and will also not break the bank. Last time I was there I had an avocado soup that was great. They have these specials where you get soup, an entree and a glass of wine (or something like that) for around $20.

Never had brunch at Tavern on the Green but I have eaten there many times. The food is very good but very pricey. Even if you don't eat there, try to pop in to look around--it's wild.

Have fun!
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 06:40 AM

You've asked for a lot of info Nancy. You might want to invest in a Zagat guide (or join online at zagat.com for viewing reviews). Chowhound.com is also a good source for restaurant info.

Since you'll be in the theater district 4 times let me mention Esca at 43rd & 9th is getting a lot of good "buzz" on chowhound.

Del Friscos is at 49th & 6th. My favorite steak place is the Post House on 63rd betw Madison & Park. It gets similar ratings to Del Friscos in Zagat.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 08:32 AM
jem

Hi Nancy,
If you go to Tavern on the Green, request a table in the Crystal Room, with windows all around and above, giving you a wonderful view. If the day's not too hot, it's also nice to eat outside on the patio. The last time we were there they had a huge King Kong topiary standing guard (this was a few years ago, so I don't know if he's still there.)