"Classic NYC" lunch place?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In November, I am meeting my sister, aunt, mother and grandmother in NYC for a long weekend and need a bit of advice. While we are there, we will be celebrating my Grandmothers 80th birthday with a nice lunch out. Are there any fun, festive lunch places that epitomize the spirit of NYC that we should not miss? Grandma's tastes run a bit mainstream, so no indian, sushi, etc. I was thinking of perhaps Tavern on the Green, but would love to have input from other chatters of "can't miss" NYC dining experiences. Lunch suggestions, only, please, as my aunt will only be able to join us for the day on Saturday and we would like to include her. And while cost is not a huge factor (it is a great occasion, after all!), I would prefer it not be completely exorbitant, as I am on a young professionals budget! Thanks so much!
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 05:50 AM
GoTravel

21 Club!

Quintessential New York!

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 06:04 AM

No lunch on Saturdays @ 21Club...And IMHO, any meal there would be completely exorbitant.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 07:10 AM

Do not do Tavern on the Green. The food is mediocre at best, the service pretentious and condescending and the prices exhorbitent for what they provide. The only real benefit is the pretty setting.

What I wold tend do to do is a traditional "ladies who lunch" place - somewhere like Grenouille - but they - and many of the others - don;t do lunch on the weekends.

Perhaps do Sea Grille in Rock Center - as long as she likes some kind of fish - pretty, very New Yorky and not too expensive.

Or you might do Cafe des Artistes- also very pretty and traditional - but they only do brunch on weekends - not lunch.

If you go to menupages.,com you can see the exact menus.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 07:12 AM

DO NOT go to TotG. The food is horrible.

Look at the Gotham Bar and Grill instead. It's been around for more than 20 years (they started the "tall foods" trend). The place is classic New York - also, we took my mother (the pickiest eater in America) there for her 60th b'day and she loved it. During the week they do a $25 prix fixe lunch that is worth it just for the chocolate decadance desert, I don't know if they do that on the weekends, too. It's in the Village, near Washington Square.

Have a great time and happy birthday to your grandmother!
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 07:50 AM

How about brunch/lunch at the Loeb Boathouse in Central Park? It strikes me as perfect for your occasion.

http://www.centralparknyc.org/virtua.../loebboathouse
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 08:21 AM

The tavern at Gramercy Tavern is a great room to have lunch and the food is excellent. I think that might be a nice place.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 08:28 AM
GoTravel

Oh no! Didn't realize 21 doesn't serve lunch on Saturdays but it makes complete sense.

Too bad Russian Tea Room closed, TOTG isn't good, and Rainbow Room isn't open for lunch and isn't good.

How about Tea at The Pierre or St. Regis? Just have a late breakfast/brunch that will tide you over to tea.

If lunch is the deal, agree with most of the above suggestions.

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 09:00 AM

Gramercy is great (my favorite restaurant ever) if you can afford it. I had lunch there yesterday. It cost $103 including tip for 2 iced teas, a shared appetizer (wonderful foie gras), 2 entrees, and a shared dessert.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 09:51 AM

Be glad the 21 club doesn't serve lunch on the weekends. I thought it was overly stuff, and very masculine and not very pretty. I went with a bunch of women and felt the waiters were somewhat condescending because of that.

I second the recommendation for Gotham Bar and Grill. I would suggest Balthazar, it's also classic New York, down on SoHo.

You can go to menupages.com and look up the menus for all these restaurants and see the prices and judge for yourself which restaurant you think everyone would enjoy more.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 10:00 AM

Gramercy Tavern or The Boathouse, without a doubt.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 10:08 AM

Wow this is harder than I thought. I don't believe Gotham Bar and Grill serves lunch on Saturday, but how could you not love a place with a giant Statue of Liberty in the dining room?

Grammercy Tavern seems great too, but again NO lunch on Saturday.

I was going to suggest P.J. Clarke's Sidecar which would be perfect, but also doesn't serve lunch on Saturday, although I believe the regular downstairs room does. The brick walls and checkered tablecloths are SO old New York, and so is the simple but delicious food.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 10:16 AM

Also Boathouse only serves a brunch menu on Saturday, but that might fit the bill?

I checked Bobby Flay's new BarAmericain, but no Saturday lunch.

How about a real bargain of a place -- Joe Allen's? Simple tastes and budget with casual old traditional New York brick walls feel. If you do it fairly late, you'll end up with the place kind of quiet, as most will have left for theatre matinees by 1:45.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 10:29 AM
GoTravel

Doesn't Gramercy Tavern serve in the bar on Saturdays? I could have sworn I've eaten there on a Saturday afternoon.

sonrisa, you very well may end up eating a hotdog from a cart at this rate!

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 10:44 AM

I'd suggest doing a High Tea at a wonderful location like The Palace on Madison Ave and 50th St. Tea there is a wonderful experience Grandmom would probably really enjoy all the attention.

You don't mention when you will be here, so I'll also mention that alot of restaurants have outdoor cafes and that might be nice as well. Try one of the restaurants across from Lincoln Center, and sit and watch the city go by.

Have a great time.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 11:48 AM

How about this? Do a late brunch at The Boathouse and then have a drink (alcoholic or not)at the Carlyle (Bemelman's Bar). Very old-NY...
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 11:52 AM

I agree that the food at Tavern on the Green is not very good relative to the price but lets remember this is an 80 yr. old Grandma who might quite like the ambiance and might not mind about the food. No question it's "New Yorky" and classic. I agree the Boat House also in Central Park is better food, probably less expensive to and a pretty setting but not as "glamorous." Still a good choice.

But I think the place to go is either the Sea Grill or the Rock Center Cafe at Rockefeller Center. In November you'll have a view of the ice skaters at either. They used to have a special offer on their website for birthdays but I don't see it any more. The website for either of these with menus and prices is

www.restaurantassociates.com

The Sea Grill will be pricey but how often does Grandma turn 80?

The River Cafe in Brooklyn is another great special occasion place with awesome views of the skyline. Pricey but lunch/brunch is easier on the pocket than dinner.

Hope this helps. Happy B'day to Grandma.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 11:55 AM

Um, why don't many restaurants serve lunch on Saturdays? Is because they serve brunch or are they closed? Hard to believe in a city of many millions not many resaturants serve lunch.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 12:23 PM

Many places don't do lunch on the weekends because they are serving a brunch menu instead. They are open, but the "lunch" options are going to be limited.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 12:52 PM

The main reason so many places don't do lunch on Saturday is because their primary lunch trade is business lunches, and of course that just doesn't happen on Saturday. Restaurants in the theatre district are mainly open for Saturday lunch because they are doing pre-matinee business.

I've also been surprised how many "top" places are not available late -- like for after theatre. Over and over again people will recommend going to Grammercy Tavern or Gotham Bar and Grill or a dozen other places after theatre and it just isn't possible as many of them only seat until 10 or even 11 on weekends -- and it is often impossible to travel there after a show even on a weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -