Restaurants in Madison, WI?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2005, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our past favorites have been Harvest, LaPaella and Essen Haus. Any others to recommend? Thanks!
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 06:25 AM

Lots of good places in Madison. L'Etoile is one of my favorites. It's located on the Square. Another one, actually in Middleton (probably about 15 minutes from the downtown area), is Louisianne's. It's on Hubbard Avenue in downtown Middleton.

There is a fantastic Laotian restaurant - the name escapes me right now - that's on Atwood Avenue (near east side of Madison).
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Janey, do you prefer L'Etoile to Harvest (right next door)? My mother had given a lukewarm review of L'Etoile, so we tried its neighbor and have had three excellent meals there.

I had heard of -- and forgotten --Louisianne's, so thanks for the reminder, also for the Laotian recommendation.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 07:02 AM

I would recommend L'Etoile also. For dinner, as well as pastries in the morning.

I hosted an anniversary party at Harvest and although the food was very good, I was so frustrated and angry with the owner that I will not be back. I've heard similar stories from others, but I'm glad you've had good experiences there.

Magnus is also good (although not in the league w/ L'Etoile). I have not been since their chef departed to open his own restuarant in Cambridge, would be interested to hear a review of that.

We liked a Loatian place on Willy st. I don't dare try to recall the name. Also on WIlly is Jamerica for a VERY casual Jamaican meal.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 07:23 AM

litespeed: That Laotian place that I mentioned is the same one that you're thinking of. They moved from Willy Street to Atwood Ave.

Cyonara: I think the food is very similar between L'Etoile and Harvest. Harvest might be a little bit less expensive than L'Etoile.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 07:38 AM

Eldorado Grill on Williamson St. I haven't been there in a few years, but it's really goood and different.

http://www.foodfightinc.com/eldorado.htm
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 08:43 AM

What is the name of the place in Cambridge that the chef from Magnus opened?

My parents were just at La Paella a few weeks ago. They felt the service and atmostphere had gone down hill. They were especially disappointed in the presenation of the paella.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 10:05 AM

When we get into town, we like to go to the Avenue Bar on East Wash. Good for steaks & fish, especially the perch. Decor is a badger sports motif. Many alumni go there & difficult to get in on a game day. Our kids like the food there as well.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 05:13 PM

L'Etoile would definitely be my top choice for Madison, Wi. I would say I've dined there at least 10 times and have been increasingly impressed. The new owners (since 2005?) seem to be breathing new life into the place and getting some notable attention in the process (Gourmet Top 50, Oct. 2006) The menu is the "real deal", exactly what they claim.
As for Harvest....wow they've fooled alot of people. What exactly is "certified Angus"? It's certifiably a cow??