Wild Sage
The Arden
The Cross House
The Deane House
Fleur De Sel
The Inn On Lake Buena Vista
Pfanntastic Pannenkoek Haus
Wildwood Brewing Co.

We are looking for unique places to eat that serve good food along with a good atmosphere.

I had asked earlier, but apparently I made someone defensive and I sure did not mean to do so. We are really looking forward to our time in Calgary and the surrounding area and just want to make the most of it.

We have had friends tell us what to see but not where to eat. Any help would certainly be helpful and appreciated.

Thank you!!!!
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi!
I just wanted to let you know that there is a website(message board) specifically for Canada where people write and ask about different restaurants. It is called ChowHounds, and I really think you need to check it out.

http://www.chowhound.com/canada/boar...da/canada.html

ENJOY YOUR TRIP!!!!
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Dear FromAtlanta,

Thank you for the input! I will definitly check it out.
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 03:25 PM

Here's my two cents on the restaurants I've been to off of your list:

The Arden Diner - Relatively small diner on 17th Avenue. Owned by singer Jann Arden. Atmosphere is good, but the food is about what you would expect from a diner, burgers/blue plate specials/comfort food. It has been about 2 years since I've eaten there, so both the menu and atmosphere may have changed.

The Inn on Lake Bonavista: I've only been for Sunday brunch (which was excellent) but I seem to recall reading something a few months back which said that the restaurant has been closed, or changed into a bar - sorry, not sure. If it's still open, it is situated on a beautiful small (man-made) lake, and from what I've heard, their dinners are quite good.

Wildwood Brewing Company: This is one of my most favourite restaurants in the city, and I've never been disappointed with service or quality. The restaurant (there is a brew pub in the basement) is reasonably upscale, and serves a menu with a "western flavour", i.e. they use a lot of game meat such as pheasant, buffalo, wild boar.

In terms of other restaurants with good food and atmosphere, here are my suggestions - (I'm only listing restaurants I have eaten at in the last 6 months, so there will be a number of great ones which I won't be commenting on):

Murrietta's - Located downtown on about 1st St. and 8th Ave SW. Great menu/west coast style cuisine. Head chef hosts a program on the Food Network. Reasonably priced - appetizers $10-12, entrees $20-30.

Catch - In the new Hyatt hotel. Seafood restaurant (as you probably guessed). Best seafood I have had in Calgary. Head chef Michael Noble was the only Canadian ever to compete on Iron Chef.

River Cafe - On Prince's Island - downtown. Somewhat eclectic menu, reasonably similar to Wildwood, but more expensive. Great atmosphere - it feels like you are in the woods. Meals have been hit or miss.

Chinese - Silver Dragon - In Chinatown (downtown). The place to go for dim sum. Show up early if you go on a Sunday, you can often wait in line for 45 minutes+ for a table.

Italian - Osteria de Medici. In Kensington, just north of downtown. Best Italian food I have eaten in Calgary, but the atmosphere is so-so.

Mexican - El Sombrero - On 17th Avenue, just south of downtown. The best of the few Mexican restaurants in the city (you would think with a population of 950,000 Calgary could have more than 4 Mexican restaurants). On Friday and Saturday nights, they have a strolling guitarist or mariachi band.

If you have any other restaurants on your list, please let me know and if I've been there recently, I'll give you my opinion.

Terry
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 03:55 PM

Hi!
I'll just expound on what Terrence wrote!
Arden - to be honest, it's been over a year since I've eaten there - I haven't returned as I was not impressed. If you are interested in a "diner" experience, my recommendations are The Galaxy and Diner Deluxe (my vote goes to Diner Deluxe for both atmosphere and food!).
I've only been to the Inn on the Lake for functions and the last one was over a year ago - can't comment.
Wildwood - a definite fave of mine - I'm actually getting married there this September. The atmosphere is great - open kitchen, a lot of natural materials (tiles, wood floors, etc.).
Murrietta's - good food although I find the atmosphere a little cold (may be the high ceilings).
Personally, I didn't find Catch all that it's cracked up to be. I've had equally satisfying seafood at Wildwood, and the River Cafe. I think it's overpriced/overrated - IMHO.
BTW - River Cafe is gorgeous - get a table inside and you can look out into the park or sit outside on the patio and watch people stroll by! Menu focuses on seasonal foods - great flavours.
Italian - my vote goes to Il Sogno first and then Dolce Vita. Il Sogno is newer on the scene but the chef makes some of the greatest sauces I've ever tasted - not cheap - appetizers around $8-$12 and meals about $18 -34. Wonderful small restaurant in restored heritage building. Dolce Vita - also very good and in the same price range.
Good luck - take a look at the website; http://www.calgaryplus.ca/section/bars_restaurant/ - they've got listings and reviews - the options are endless!