Lexington Kentucky restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are travelling to Lexington Kentucky at the end of September and are looking for some good restaurants in the downtown area that serve local specialties. Any suggestions? We will not have children with us.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 09:12 AM

I am from Lexington....lived there all my life- but now in Atlanta. Downtown is not really the "hub" of Lexington and good restaurants are actually everywhere, especially to the south of the city. But, I would recommend
DeSha's if it's still there for regional specialties. It's on
Broadway.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 09:18 AM

Oh yeh, it's all coming back to me now. See if Dudley's is still around. It was on Mill St. and really nice- you might want a reservation there.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

We are staying at the Hyatt and I will be with my parents (Senior) so I don't want to travel too far away from the hotel. Thanks for the suggestions. If you have any more, just keep them coming!
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 11:24 AM

Sbarra,

I posted a detailed response to this question some time ago. Here's the cut and paste of it:

Author: dfotravels
Date: 09/13/2003, 05:59 pm

I live in Lexington. You should try to stay in downtown Lexington at the Hyatt or the Raddison. Before you think that they are too expensive, I should point out that I stayed for 2 weeks straight at the Hyatt downtown (free parking and about 1 mile to the University) for $38 per night through Priceline.com. Check it out.

At to restaurants, I've copied and pasted an earlier post I made:

Author: dfotravels
Date: 08/01/2003, 01:59 pm

I've lived in Lexington for the past 17 years. I agree with you about not caring much for chain restaurants. I try to avoid them as well, although, chain restaurants are the most popular restaurants in Lexington. There are no restaurants or bars very near the horse park. You'd have to come into Lexington (about 4-5 miles) to find any decent bars.

Below is part of an email that I cut and pasted which I sent to someone who wanted some information about local restaurants in Lexington. All are locally, family-owned.

Coach House - THE COACH HOUSE, MUCH LIKE THE MARRIOTT, USED TO BE THE NICEST IN TOWN. IT'S GETTING A LITTLE OLD AS WELL. IN FACT, IT WAS CLOSED A FEW YEARS AGO, BUT IS NOW OPENED BACK UP UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT. IT'S KIND OF A LOCAL JOKE HERE NOW, BECAUSE THEY HAVE JUSTED OPENED UP A "WAFFLE HOUSE" RESTAURANT RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO IT. I'M SURE THEY WERE DELIGHTED WHEN THAT HAPPENED. MY IMPRESSION OF THE COACH HOUSE IS IT'S SLIGHTLY ABOVE AVERAGE LOCAL CUISINE WITH WELL ABOVE AVERAGE PRICES.

Merrick Inn- PERSONALLY, MY FAVORITE RESTAURANT IN LEXINGTON. IT IS TRULY AUTHENTIC KENTUCKY CUISINE IN A BEAUTIFULLY RESTORED OLD MANSION. THE PRICES ARE A LITTLE ABOVE AVERAGE ($15 - 25 PER ENTREE) BUT THE ATMOSPHERE, SERVICE AND QUALITY OF FOOD ARE SUBPERB. NO JEANS ALLOWED IN THE DINING ROOM. AT LEAST KHAKIS AND A NICE SHIRT.

Roger's- MY FATHER JUST PASSED AWAY. THIS WAS HIS FAVORITE RESTAURANT. THIS IS CHEAP, CASUAL, LOCAL FARE IN THE SAME BUILDING ITS BEEN IN FOR 50 YEARS. KIND OF GREASY FOOD, BUT THEIR STAFF HAS BEEN AROUND FOR AN AVERAGE OF 20 YEARS, SO IT MUST NOT BE THAT BAD OF A PLACE TO WORK. THEY ARE KNOWN FOR THEIR FILLING, COMFORT FOOD, E.G. MACARONI AND CHEESE AND SALMON CROQUETS (ON FRIDAYS ONLY). EACH DAY THEY HAVE A DIFFERENT SPECIAL.

Ramsey's- GO TO THE ONE ON THE CORNER OF HIGH STREET AND WOODLAND AVENUE. THIS IS THE ORIGINAL. THIS IS PROBABLY WHERE COST MEETS QUALITY. THEY DO NOTHING HERE OUTSTANDING, BUT EVERYTHING IS DONE WELL. NICE HAPPY HOUR BY THE WAY. THEY HAVE KENTUCKY HOT BROWNS AND FRIED GREEN TOMATOES. LOTS OF VEGGIES AND MEATLOAD, ETC. GREAT BREAKFAST TOO (WHICH THEY SERVE ANYTIME).

deSha's- HIGHLY OVER-RATED. FOOD SUCKS AND THE PRICE IS OVER-INFLATED TO PAY FOR THE RENT. BEAUTIFUL LOCATION RIGHT DOWNTOWN LEXINGTON. I WOULD ONLY RECOMMEND GOING HERE FOR COFFEE AND DESSERT LATE AT NIGHT.

a la lucie's- EXCELLENT FRENCH CUISINE IN A SMALL BUT QUAINT SETTING. A LITTLE EXPENSIVE, BUT GOOD. OF COURSE, THIS IS NOT KENTUCKY FOOD.

Nadines- SOME PEOPLE LOVE THIS PLACE. IT'S KIND OF COSMOPOLITAN FOOD, E.G. STUFF THAT'S TOO REFINED FOR MY WIMPY PALATE. IT'S WHAT MY DAD CALLED "FOO FOO FOOD".

Dudleys- OUTSTANDING LOCATION IN A TURN OF THE CENTURY SCHOOL HOUSE. DUDLEYS IS HALF-WAY BETWEEN MERRICK INN AND RAMSEYS. GREAT LOCAL FARE, BUT FAIRLY EXPENSIVE. GREAT SETTING. YOU CAN EVEN SIT OUTSIDE ON THEIR PATIO, WHICH IS VERY NICE. I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS PLACE WITHOUT HESITATION.

Homestead- I'VE NEVER BEEN HERE, BUT EVERYONE WHO GOES TELLS ME THAT IT'S GOOD, "JUST LIKE MERRICK INN."

Billy's BarBQ- JUST A LITTLE BBQ JOINT IN A NICE AREA OF TOWN. NOTHING SPECIAL, BUT IF YOU LIKE BBQ, IT'S A GOOD PLACE TO GO FOR AROUND $10 EACH.

Duane

P.S. The Coach House is now closed so forget about it!

Old Aug 31st, 2004, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

This is fabulous information. I will take it with me. Thanks very much.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 05:15 PM

My parents live in Lexington, and we generally go to Dudley's. Food not as good last time we were there, but okay.

Is Rogers' really still around? Seems like they used to serve lamb fries---do they still?

Merrick Inn was always my favorite when I lived there, so glad to hear that it's doing well.

We were really underwhelmed by a la Lucie. Maybe it's improved.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 01:08 PM

I will second the recommendations for Merrick Inn and The Homestead. If you are in the mood for "home cooking", try Ramsey's, which was also recommended earlier in this thread. I used to enjoy deSha's, but I haven't eaten there in at least five years, so it may have gone downhill. However, it is perfect for you location-wise, as it is within walking distance from the Hyatt.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 07:20 PM

Okay, I'm back and from looking at the suggestions it looks like the consensus is really leaning towards Dudleys for a nice dinner out! Ramsey's is good and very casual. Roger's is sorta out of the way. But, I know the owners (if the Ellengers still own it) and they are nice people.
Have a great time!
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 08:45 PM

I hate to report that the Ellingers just closed Rogers. It was around for decades, too!
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 10:24 AM

I spent my 50th BD in Lexington and really had a great time. Billy's BBQ was recommended to me and I enjoyed their ribs.

If you have time while you are in the area, check out the Shaker village at Pleasant Hill and if you are an arts and crafts lover, Berea is a must, and not that far a drive. Downtown, they have an absolutely beautiful fountain.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 06:25 PM

I always loved Shaker Village. I forgot to put a plug in for my old friend Joe Bologna! Joe Bologna's has been around since I was a very little girl and he is a friend of my Dad's. He has the best pizza and bread sticks in town! The restaurant is U.K area (not far from downtown) in an old church.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 04:38 PM

I disagree with Nadine's being "foo foo food" and I don't think I'm a food snob. They have a wonderful KY spin on food using bourbon in sauces and such and it's a pretty casual restaurant for the quality of food-business casual dress. I love Ramsey's for local food-try a KY hot brown. We now live in Columbus, OH and I go there every time I'm in town for the races or a game. Also, Magee's bakery is wonderful!
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 07:01 AM

Alfalfa Restaurant on Limestone across from UK is worth a try. The Hoppin' John is delicious.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 07:13 AM

Drive 30 minutes west to Shelbyville and have lunch at Science Hill in the historic Wakefield-Scearce Galleries.

www.wakefield-scearce.com

Incredible!

Old Mar 21st, 2005, 06:18 PM

Unfortunately, Alfalfa's is no longer at it's original location where terminus described. Alfalfa's is now directly downtown Lexington on Main Steet across from the Public Library.