Broadway Wicked in SF - opinions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2005, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (me and hubby) will be in San Francisco in August and Wicked will be playing there. Is it worth it? WeŽll only have one night free for a show. Any other ideas? (have already seen Stomp).
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 02:23 PM

Broadway is not San Francisco. Beach Blanket Babylon is.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

I know Broadway is not SF. What I tried to ask, in few words, was that Wicked musical actually playing in Broadway will be in San Francisco in August and what are the revews about it.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 03:43 PM

Most have liked it. I'm in the small minority who didn't. It's probably going to be a hot ticket, so if you decide to go, I would suggest getting tickets as soon as they become available.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 03:44 PM

I saw Wicked in NY and it was fabulous. Highly recommend, very clever spin on the Wizard of Oz...a prequel.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 05:47 PM

I think what FainaAgain was trying to see is that in San Francisco you might want to do something that is uniquely San Francisco rather than a Broadway musical. Beach Blanket Babylon has been playing for something like 20 years or more there and is a fun institution that is unique to the city.
It's a sort of musical revue and spoof. Snow White goes in search of adventure and looking for true love (and sex of course, despite her innocence). Most of the songs are familiar ones from the 50's to the present, many performed with new lyrics or new "meanings". You will also meet the Clintons, Tina Turner, Monica Lewinsky -- well just about anybody they can make a joke out of.
See the website:
www.beachblanketbabylon.com
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 05:57 PM

Oh, and when you go to the website, don't fail to click the button that says "Current in the Show" for a taste of the current ones. I just looked -- Kirstie Alley in Fat Actress, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, Desparate Housewives, John and Theresa "Heinz" Kerry (she's dressed as the ketchup bottle), and Condalezza Rice-a-Roni. Trust me, it's a riot.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 07:26 PM

Ah, I missed it the first time it was here. I have no idea if it is good or not, however I want to go see it. Thanks for the heads up!