Search

Restaurants in Kiilington

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2004, 03:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants in Kiilington

Hi
We are two New York City families going to Killington around Xmas. Can anyone recommend some good, funky family/non family restaurants in the area?thanks in advance!
laurie
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 10:21 AM

I would avoid anything around the ski area. Those joints are mostly just that with all-you-can buffets or just plain lousy food. We always head into Woodstock for decent food. I would suggest: Long Trail Inn (great beer, cozy environs, family-friendly), Kedron Valley Inn (cozy, family-friendly) and two for finer dining: Jackson House Inn and Hemingway's. Simon Pearce has a restaurant in Quechee that's casual and interesting if you like glass blowing.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 11:51 AM

If you want good quality Italian, Three Tomatoes Trattoria in Rutland is one of the best in New England.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 12:27 PM

Of course Killington is not a gourmet mecca, but you're not there for the cuisine. (Since you live in NYC, you have access to the best food in the world, so everything would suffer in comparion anyway.)

With that in mind, Killington has several restaurants that are fun and fine, particularly apres ski.

Casey's Caboose
Wobbly Barn
Grist Mill

It's a major ski resort -- you'll find just about everything.

Enjoy!
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 01:42 PM
KMK

I had Xmas dinner at a restaurant a few years ago called Panache. Nice decor, good service, wonderful food. It's known for its wild game - we had a sampler...the camel was very good, as I recall. They also have less exotic meats as well; overall, it was fun, relaxing and not crowded.

http://www.killingtoninfo.com/panache/
Old Dec 11th, 2004, 05:30 PM

Choices on the access road is great. Reasonably priced, comparatively, but not kid food. Peppinos for Italian is OK. Outback is good for pizza. Most people like Grist Mill. I don't but that's me. Most of the restaurants on the access rd are mediocre and overpriced, with a few exceptions, IMO. It's the same in all ski areas. The Killington Mkt on the access rd.has good take out and a new place has just opened for take out - Toast Cafe or Glazes or something similar, in back of Choices, just before the ski area parking lots on the right going up. Haven't been there. If you want to travel to Rutland, there are many other choices but it is a 30-45 min drive each way.

We always stop at Shaws in Lebanon off rt. 89, exit 20, on the way up to stock up on groceries and staples, etc. After that, there isn't anything for supermarkets except for a small store in Woodstock, Macs, but prices are more expensive than at Shaws.

Christmas vaca. will be VERY crowded so, if you want to eat out, try to make reservations or get there early.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 07:38 AM

My thoughts on the restaurants I've eaten at in the area:

Breakfast - only one place to go -
Johnny Boys Pancake House on the access road. Fantastic pancakes. In my weaker moments I think about driving up from NY to just eat there and drive back.

Lunch/Dinner:
Grist Mill, Wobbly Barn, Casey's - decent meat oriented places. Nothing specially good or bad about them.

Sushi Yoshi's - actually a pretty good (but pricey) chinese/japanese place.

There are also a lot of good places in Rutland that other posters have mentioned...
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 08:46 AM

If you can justify a drive for some sightseeing, consider the 46 miler to Middlebury. The Dog Team Tavern is the best, unique restaurant that I have been to in a long time.The town is not a Woodstock but it has a few 1st class shops & sites.