South Beach Hotels

Old Dec 14th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Beach Hotels

I'm planning a trip over the xmas holiday with my husband, two teenage sons and two of their friends. I'm considering the Cardozo, Doubletree Surfcomber and Park Central. Which of these three hotels is the most spacious (four boys in one room)? Is it on or near the beach? Free beach chairs? Pool?

Old Dec 14th, 2004, 02:36 PM

The standard rooms in these hotels are typically quite small. I've stayed in the Cardozo's ocean view suite, which is nice and roomy, but it has a queen-sized bed and a queen-sized sofa bed. I doubt the boys would go for it.

The only one that's on the beach is the Surfcomber; the other two are across the street (Ocean Drive) from the beach. Beach chairs are NOT free; you rent them from vendors. The Park Central has a small pool; the Surfcomber has a considerably larger one. The Cardozo does not have a pool.

The Cardozo is the only hotel I stay in when I'm in South Beach, but I don't think it would meet your needs (although why a pool would even be necessary is beyond me, as the beach is across the street). In fact, none of these properties would, unless you rent three rooms. I don't know how management would handle two of the rooms having teenage boys in them, but you can certainly call and check.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 06:39 AM
GoTravel

Rooms with two double beds in one room are scarce and expensive in South Beach because the rooms are so small. These hotels were typically built back in the 40s-50s and the rooms haven't been resized just renovated.

The Doubletree would probably be your best bet for two doubles that will not cost you $500 per night. Your beach chair rental fee is covered in the daily resort fee ($7 a room maybe? It is cheap).

Another oceanfront choice for you next door to the Doubletree (it is one of the nicest Doubletrees I've ever stayed in) would be either The South Seas or The Marsailles.

rjw is correct when he states the Doubletree is the only one of the three on the beach and the location is excellent near the Lincoln Road Mall.

Just a heads up, topless bathing is very common on the beach but you shouldn't see it by the pool. If that is a problem for you, you might want to head up the beach to Mid Beach.

In Mid Beach, The Wyndham, The Fountainbleu, and The Eden Roc are all excellent choices.

Old Dec 15th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. If South Beach won't work, how would you compare the Boca Resort to Eden Roc or Fountainbleu? I'm very concerned that the kids have something to keep them busy in the evenings.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 08:23 PM

We LOVE the Crown Plaza Royal Palm Hotel on South Beach. Rooms have 2 double beds and they are $275-$325 a night. Call them direct for the best deals, then try the website just in case they have a better deal, THEN call the 1 800 # for Holiday Inn and maybe they have even better specials. You never know where you'll get your best deal. Great rooms. Great views.

Good luck,
Steve R
Maryland
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 05:38 AM
GoTravel

I love the Boca Raton Resort but it is a little removed from things.

The Fountainbleu and Eden Roc ( I can never remember which one is nicer, mclaurie always helps me) are a little removed from South Beach, 2 miles north, but the boys can take the bus to Lincoln Road Mall and Ocean Drive at night and find plenty to do.

I love the Royal Palm Crown Plaza but it will be more expensive than the Doubletree. It is also right in the same area as the Doubletree and it is ocean front.

Old Dec 16th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

stever - You're a genius!!!!!
I wasn't considering the Crown Plaza since the best rate I could get for a one bedroom suite was $409/night. After getting your message, I went on their website and found a deal for $199/night. Unbelievable. Thank you thank you thank you.