restaurants in Kauai and Oahu

Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
restaurants in Kauai and Oahu

We are visiting Kauai and Oahu in July and would like recommendations for good and inexpensive restaurants in the area. We love authentic food that is a good value. Our party consists of 2 adults and 3 teens. We will be in Kauai for 6 days and Honolulu for 2. Thanks
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:23 PM

On Kauai I eat at the Dali Deli everyday. My choice is greek salad and hummus. My husband likes the turkey and cranberry sandwich.

Let me get my Oahu list together. There are ssooooooo many.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:35 PM

Dali Deli is in Koloa by the way.

The Greek Corner on University.

Waioli Tea Room - lush surroundings, good,
2950 Manoa Rd big sandwiches

Ono Hawaiian Foods - real hawaiian
726 Kapahulu Ave

California Pizza Kitchen - Kahala Mall or Ala Moana Good salads and hummus

Auntie Pasto's
559 Kapahulu Ave - fun spot, open late

Jose's Mexican Restaurant
1134 Koko Head Ave - good real food

La Bamba
847 Kapahulu Ave. - doesn't look great, but good food by family business - byob

Down To Earth Natural Foods
2525 S. King St. - no meat deli

Kua Aina Sandwich Shop - long lines, worth it! Good burgers and breast sandwich.
North Shore or Ward Ave

Teddy's Bigger Burgers - YUM! Oldtime burgers
Kailua or 3114 Monsarrat Ave Waikiki

Gee A Deli - awesome sandwiches
Kailua behind Mc Donalds

Zia's Kaneohe or Kailua - good cheap Italian food. Great salads and pasta

The Pastele Shop - YUMMY Puerto Rican foods!
2101 N. School St.

Waihiawa for BBQ- forget the name - ask a local in town

Panya Bakery- Kapiolani

Waiola store for shaved ice - Mo ili ili

Boston pizza- two HUGE pieces for $5

Panda Express- most malls and Hawaii Kai and Kaneohe

Mel Rose Place - Kaneohe mom and pop lunches

Food court of Ala Moana mall - Sabarro's and anything else you could think of.

Maui Tacos - Kailua - healthy and good I like the paia burrito with black beans and rice inside. Get it wet. They have a good salsa bar too.

Spagetti Factory in Ward

Wolfgang Puck's Express - Ward or Waikiki - love the pesto chicken sandwich and garlic fries

Scoozies (spelling) everything is excellent and they sell premade lunch packs with baby salads or pasta salads of the day, sandwich and dessert. Hope you hit it on brownie day! Awesome split pea soup too! Great bread. Ward Center.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:43 PM

I haven't been recently, but some of the best places are downtown. Like around Alakea, Queen and Bishop. See if they still have Bishop Cafe, Fresh Garden Deli and right in the building west of the postoffice used to be a cheap plate lunch breakfast. Two scoops rice, topped with fried lunch meat and egg. Yum.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:58 PM

On Kaua'i, here are some recommendations:

Aloha Diner in Kapa'a for Hawai'ian food; we got kalua pork, lau lau, lomi salmon, and poi to go, and ate it at sunset on the beach at our hotel, with a couple cold beers--a meal to remember! we spent about $24 I think and had lots of leftovers.

In Koloa, Sueoka market has a carry out place on one side of the building. We got plate lunches for $4 each and again took them to the beach. Their servings were not huge, just the right amount for a meal without feeling stuffed.

In Hanalei, we love Hanalei Mixed Plate. We had kalua pork with cabbage, bbq ribs, and ahi with coconut pesto--which sounded odd but was excellent. About $7 per plate, large servings.

Waipouli Restaurant in Kapa'a is a very local place with no decor at all, but food and price are good; huge bowl of saimin for about $5. Located in the shopping center where Foodland is.

We thought Hula Girl in Coconut Marketplace was a good value. Lunch is about $10/person and dinner about $20 (not counting alcohol). The food was very well prepared and presented and the decor is fairly low-key but well done. They have live music every night. Service was good.

We also like Camp House Grill in Kalaheo and Kapa'a (in the shopping center where Safeway is).

the Ultimate Kaua'i Guidebook is a reliable source of info.

In Waikiki we like the Shore Bird breakfast buffet, about $7/person; includes carved ham, eggs, fruit, potatoes, sausage or bacon, danish, fried rice, fish, unlimited coffee and juice. $1-off coupons in the "best of O'ahu" small magazines you can pick up on the street.

You can find Hawai'ian buffets on certain nights in Waikiki. We have in the past enjoyed the buffet at Canoes at the Ilikai Hotel; they have either half-off or buy one get one free coupons in the tourist magazines. It used to be on Friday night. I think the restaurant at the Waikiki Parc Hotel has a Hawai'ian buffet one night, said to be good though I personally have not been there.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:43 PM

I meant to say that we were in the islands in mid-May, so my "reviews" are pretty current. Unfortunately did not make it to Canoes this time though.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:59 PM

The Hawaiian buffet at the Parc Cafe at the Waikiki Parc hotel on Wednesday night is pretty good. I think it's around $20. They have some of the best ahi poke I've tasted (even better than Sam Choy's IMO). They also have the same buffet for lunch one day a week for a little less money. Check the Waikiki Parc website for the exact day.

Sam Choy's Diamond Head has a good Sunday Brunch for $20. You'll find many Hawaiian dishes here too.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 05:39 AM

Suggest Keoki's in southern Kauai, near Poipu Beach.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 06:03 AM
Kal

Gaylord's just won the Kauai Chili cookoff so guess where I'll be in about 187 mo' days?!?!?!

You haven't SEEN tradewinds until....oh well...you get the picture! :-"