Reload this Page >

BEST CHEAP EATS ON OAHU

Search

BEST CHEAP EATS ON OAHU

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 07:22 AM
Rebecca

BEST CHEAP EATS ON OAHU

I know leonard malasadas, Hungry Lion (YUM), Ono's (hawaiian), Aunti Pastos (family style Italian), now who knows the best mixed plate, Khalbi bbq and so on. Come on I told you some, we are a family of six and we have to eat! We will be on the North Shore, Lanikai and Honolulu.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Melissa

Well, there is ALWAYS Zippy's, and they are everywhere!! (www.zippys.com) But if you know all the places you listed, you already know Zippy's. You Also must know about L&L Drive In, which is also all over.

Market City Shopping Center (on the corner of Kapiolani & Kapahulu, near UH) has a lot of good cheap places to eat: Grace's (mixed plate lunch), Gina's (Korean), Catch of the Day (sushi), and some Mexican place that is supposed to be good.

Sidestreet Inn is pretty good for lunch on Thursdays & Fridays. I just bought the "Hawaiian Plate" yesterday and it was so heavy I could drop it on someone's head to knock them out! Of course, the thing lasted me for 3 meals.

Ward Warehouse should be a good place for you to go. They recently developed a 16-theater complex in the area, and there are tons of plate lunch places to eat there. Also Kua Aina, which is found there and on the North Shore.

Phew! I'm hungry now! Gotta go and find me something to eat.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 01:02 PM
allen

There is a good lunch wagon at Kewalo Basin, go early because by noon they start running out of choices. Palace Saimin for good won tun min and barbecue sticks. Jimbo for fresh japanese udon noodles. Helen's in Kapahulu for very reasonable Chinese food. All very small and casual places.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 03:22 PM
Blalah

Waialae Chop Suey on the corner of 8th and Waialae Avenue in Kaimuki is the place to go for massive portions, quality Chinese and cheap prices. Their chicken wor mein ($4.75) is "broke da mouth" quality! Auwe! Now you made me hungry.....

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 03:43 PM
Becky

I recommend you buy 3 Entertainment Books and eat better for half price. Davey Jones Ribs, Trattoria both in Waikiki, just to name two I tried myself. (Davey Jones, Paradise Seafood, and Crouching Lion are sister properties, according to my waiter.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 04:37 PM
Rebecca

Histerical Melissa any L&L better than the other. I forget what those places are good for, Lemon Chicken? Thank you Blahh I remember that Chop Suey place what else id good there I am bringing some East coasters that don't know this stuff. I can remember Lemon Chicken, Teriyaki Chicken, Vat else dalinks? Thanks again. Oh and who has the best Khalbi? Does not have to be cheap just good. Becky have you been to crouching tiger is it good? What did you have that you liked? Nobody mentioned the best place for shave ice. Does it matter at all where you go. I am showing the place to people so I want to make a good impression.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 06:31 PM
Melissa

I don't know if the L&Ls are all different, I usually go to either the one on Liliha Street (where you can also find Masu's Massive Plate Lunch) or on Kapahulu. Ono's Korean on the first floor of Kaimuki Shopping Center is supposed to be good for Kal bi; I like Kim Chee II. My coworker here says Hyung Jae (on Sheridan) has the best kal bi--it's about $17 but he says you GET $17 worth.

Shave ice: Everyone talks about Matsumoto's in Haleiwa, but I always go to Aoki's, which is just two doors down. There's less of a line and it tastes better.

OH! For healthier but tasty local plate lunch food: Try I Love Country Cafe, found in Kahala Mall or on the outer edge of Ala Moana Center. I also forgot to mention a Hawaiian plate lunch place called, appropriately, "You Hungry?" it's across the Convention Center on Atkinson Drive. Kanak Attack is also good but they're not consistently open.

So you wanna make an impression? Take them to Hotel Street! I like Mini Garden for lunch.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 10:00 PM
Ladybug

Like Melissa, we bypass the long line at Matsumoto's and go next door to Aoki's. Just as good, but some people want to be able to say they went to famous Matsumoto's.

There is another I Love Country Cafe at Mililani Town Center (they took over the old Yum-Yum Tree Restaurant).

Waimalu Shopping Center near Pearl City is a good one-stop place for everything from shave ice at Baldwin's to malasadas at Leonard's Junior. It's a dinky strip mall, but has a great variety of restaurants offering just about any kind of local favorites you could possibly want to try (including American food). It's on Kam Highway, only a few minutes "ewa-side" of the Aloha Flea Market and the Arizona Memorial. You'll pass the Pearlridge Center if you're coming from "town".

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 10:56 PM
Becky

Sorry, didn't eat at Crouching Lion, but I hear it is very good,and I can tell you the "sister properties" were great!

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 07:10 PM
Pua'a

No fo'get Ahi's on the windward side of the island! It's located near Punalu'u. I don't know what the kaukau is like anymore but their fried ahi plate used to be ono-licious! Their new location is also very tropical looking. Be forewarned that Waialae Chopsuey's ambience is...to say the least...very minimal. Most people do a take-out. Their cold ginger chicken is fat and juicy and full of garlic! I also like their chicken with mushrooms. As blalah said, it's cheap and plenty and good! You might also check out the whole Ka'imu'ki area. All kinds of ono places that serve Vietnamese, Chinese, Mexican, Italian, Korean and so on. Crouching Lion? Dunno...went there long ago and they served me standard haole tourist stuff...kinda bland...stuff you find in a cafeteria. Nevah wen' back!

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 07:47 PM
Rebecca

This is so great. Thank You Thank You Thank You. Love the response I am getting. Even went online and found www.mixedplate.com with recipes for local food on Oahu anyone out there interested in reviewing and letting me know if they are good recipes? Or do you know a good local cooking website yourself.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 04:45 AM
Rebecca

that's www.mixed-plate.com

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 06:31 PM
Jane Hoskin

PERRY's All You Can Eat Buffet on Lewers in Waikiki is a good bet for your money - excellent food. Also, on the corner of Ala Moana Blvd. and Kalia St. across from the Hawaiian Hilton Village is an old time coffee shop/restaurant (can't remember the name). They have home style cooking and it is excellent. They also have one of the best banana splits on earth. Both places are inexpensive and you get your money's worth.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 08:00 PM
Bob

Rebecca,
My favorite plate lunch is served at 'Rainbows Drive-In' near Waikiki Beach. My daughters also love their burgers. For Mexican food try La Bamba’s. But one of my favorite inexpensive restaurants in Waikiki is ‘Seaside Grill.’

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 11:32 PM
kalena

Did anyone say Kakaako Kitchen? Ward Centre, across from the new movie theaters. Upscale plate lunches under $10.00.

Considering the fact that there's always plenty left-overs, Sam Choy's eatery, Breakfast Lunch and Crab.

For no-frills affordable Chinese food, there are *many* options, but we like Bo-Lai on South King street. Yum!

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 04:20 AM
Rebecca

Thank you for keep up the posts here I am a printing and saving this page. Sam Choy's does breakfast. Does he blend local flavers in his breakfast? What do you think of Egg's n things Waikiki. Always a crowd but I think I have received soupy eggs at least twice.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 09:03 AM
Melissa

Sam Choy's Breakfast Lunch & Crab is verrrry local! Make sure you make reservations. They also serve local beer.

My friends say Eggs N Things is worth the wait. If you're looking for something like THAT for breakfast, I like the Original Pancake House on Kapiolani Boulevard (near McKinley High School in the Blackfield Building). In that same area is a place called Harry's Cafe, which is the "home of the 99 cent breakfast." She''s got Kim Chee Fried Rice that definitely goes straight to your thighs!!! (That's not 99 cents, though.)

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 06:03 AM
Rebecca

funny Melissa thanks.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 07:23 AM
Rebecca

What is chocolate Mochi where can I get some on Oahu?

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 09:45 AM
virginia

Ditto Ahi's in Laie. Wisteria in Honolulu is Japanese - inexpensive bowls of good noodle soup. For the BEST hamburgers - Kua Aina Sandwich in Haleiwa. If you're driving from Honolulu up thru the middle of the island, it'll be on the right just before you get to Matsumoto's. Look for the smoke, and you'll smell it. There's a small parking lot in the back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -