Restaurants in Georgetown area

Old May 16th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants in Georgetown area

Will be spending a few July days in Washington DC with my wife and two kids (12 & 14)... Staying in the Georgetown area and looking for suggestions on nice family restaurants...
Would also appreciate any tips on visiting the new Air & Space Museum located out at Dulles.... Thanks for any help you can offer....
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:05 AM

That's a pretty open ended question.

Here are 106 Georgetown restaurants with the "editors picks" listed in the first few pages. Click on the restaurant name for a detailed review of each restaurant. Come back with questions about the ones that interest you.

http://tinyurl.com/qabrs

IMO, if you are only in DC for a few days, I would pass on heading all the way out to Dulles, VA this time.

Old May 17th, 2006, 10:11 AM

There was a great German place (yea, I know, German chefs cook in hell) on Wisconsin, and the super Alsatian place just N of the White House on Connecticut moved way out to the NW River when we left there in the '70's as the subway construction was just getting underway.
D..., I'm getting old.
M (GU M'71)
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:37 AM

Getting to Dulles:

http://www.nasm.si.edu/visit/shuttlebus.cfm

Seems pricey, but parking is $12 if you drive out there.
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:28 AM

For a 12 and 14 year old and adults you usually can't go wrong with Clyde's restaurants.

They're a local group and have lots of locations but they're all different. The following are all Clyde's restaurants and they have a website where you can look at their menus.

Clyde's on M Street in the heart of always trendy Georgetown. Burgers and entrees. Busy place and I've seen some celebs there.

Clydes/Gallery Place new location on 7th Street, very trendy/fun area too. Take a taxi.

Old Ebbitt Grille (Clydes) near White House. Politicos hang out here and so does everyone else. Take a taxi.

Some people on the Fodor's board don't like Sequoia in Georgetown but the view is spectacular of the river and Kennedy Center and always lively summer Potomac riverfront. They have a menu on the web too. I like to sit outside there on the terrace.

Chadwicks is an inexpensive burger place on K Street in Georgetown.

Daily Grill is good too but a bit less lively place than Clydes. One in the heart of Georgetown on Wisconsin.

Pizza Paradiso on M Street in Georgetown. Good food and trendy.

Hardrock and Planet Hollywood are available if your kids would like that.
Take a taxi.

Mikemo, are you thinking of Old Europe? That is an old place. Not sure that kids would get into it but you never know.

Definitely worth the trip to go to the new Space Museum. Very impressive but a good scale, not overwhelming.
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:55 AM

I also really like the Old Ebbitt Grill, good food, not cheap but not overly expensive either. It's very busy at dinner so do make reservations if you plan to go there.

In Georgetown I enjoyed Martin's Tavern for simple American food. Been around for ages, I think since the 1930's, a popular place for locals.
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:50 PM

curiousgeo,

I think Martin's Tavern is an acquired taste. It has that local pub feel about it. The smoke and alcohol smell from the 1930's still lingers. ; )

I might advise that visitors pop in to look at it before planning on eating there with a family.
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:34 PM

Aloha kakalena. That's a pretty good description of Martin's Tavern you've given and exactly why I like it. When traveling I enjoy going to places with some history and character, that are kind of unique to its locale and neighborhood. Of course serving good food is also important. That reminds me it is getting close to pau hana time and I'm getting pretty thirsty. Okole maluna.
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:00 PM

kakalena,
Claro, The Old Europe. I'll never forget one Easter when my towhead sons were small and all dressed in Navy sailor suits for the holiday, they were immediately adopted and passed from table to table by the scores of German GMs and GPs dining there (kinda like Bavaria). I don't think we saw them for a couple of hours.
The veal was always pretty good.
M