Where to eat in NW Richmond area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is last minute, but we'll be in the NW Richmond suburbs tomorrow just for the day to do some shopping. Can anyone recommend a good place for dinner? Not looking for anything fancy or upscale--just good food and not more than maybe $17 an entree or so. We'd also prefer to avoid places where we'd need reservations since we're not sure what time we'd be eating and prefer to play things by ear. Any suggestions?

thx
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 03:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you're anywhere near Short Pump Town Center and are a fan of Thai food, I highly recommend Tara Thai. They are a small DC area chain (of 3) who expanded to metro Richmond a couple of years ago. Excellent food. I was there today for lunch.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 04:51 PM

NW Richmond + shopping does sound like the Short Pump Town Center area - do remember that most of the stores on a Sunday will close at 6pm, so that helps set your dinner time for you. Short Pump itself has some pretty good restaurants (I've heard good things about Copper Grill, and Maggianno's if you want volumes of Italian.) About a block from one end of the mall is our favorite Japanese, Osaka's. Superb for sushi, and they have the teppanyaki tables, too.
The main road in front of the mall is Broad Street. About 10 minutes east (towards town) on the right on Broad Street is our favorite Chinese, Yen Ching's (their sesame chicken is a town favorite), and if you go that route you will have passed a number of other restaurants. We also quite enjoy the Red Oak Cafe - barely off Broad Street, maybe 10 minutes the other way (west - towards Charlottesville) I think they'd also be open on Sunday evenings. Not a chain, quite good inventive food, and would fit your budget.
have multiplied so much since I moved here 20+ years ago - if obxgirl and I haven't given you what you want, it might be easier if you mention what you like. Richmond, for some reason, lacks a good Greek restaurant, but most other types of food can be found.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the recommendations. Short Pump is probably where we'll be headed, or possibly, Virginia Center Common in Glen Allen. Sounds like Richmond has many of the same restaurants as DC, which is where we'll be coming from. We definitely enjoy Tara Thai and Maggianos, although it might be nice to try something that we can't get at home. As far as the type of food is concerned, we like just about anything.

Again, thanks for the recs and if anyone has any more please feel free to chime in!
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 09:40 PM

For awesome Vietnamese food, on Broad St between Glenside and Staples Mill, is a restaurant called :Mekong Vietnamese Restaurant Web Site
Address: 6004 W Broad St, Richmond, VA 23230
Phone: (804) 288-8929

Very authentic- filled with both asian and caucasian people..Locally owned and operated....CHEAP~~ Dinner for 2 should not be more than $25-30 for 2 people--esp if you have the pho soups....

Also in front of Short Pump Mall is a Cheesecake Factory restaurant...

In addition , at Short Pump Mall, is a local restaurant called the Baker's Crust- they specialize in awesome unusual sandwiches,home baked bread,GREAT hamburgers,and dinner food plus meal salads....is definitely in your price range....

You need NO reservations at any of the above restaurants....

Forget Va Commons Mall- Short Pump is the BEST and newest on the N side of Richmond--I-285 S to 64 E- exit Short Pump ( Broad St WEST)...