Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive restaurant suggestions for family of 4 near Alexandria?

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, all,
We're going to DC for a 3 day trip next week. We have reservations at the Alexandria Hampton, and plan to take the Metro to DC. I usually plan an itinerary well in advance, but have not had time, so...

I have done some searching on the web and this site, but always find the best tips come from fellow Fodorites. We need a place to take 2 boys: 10 & 7, where the food is special for adults, but there is something for their "chicken fingers" palate.

We love french food, authentic italian, seafood...and they love chicken fingers!

Any tips? Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 06:20 PM

The Hampton is at the other end of King Street from all the Old Town restaurants. You are about 7-8 blocks from the beginning of the restaurant area. I would recommend taking a leisurely stroll, check out all the options, read all the menus posted outside the restaurants, and pick & chose.

My favorite French restaurant, Le Refuge, is on Washington street, about 1/2 block off of King, but they don't do "kids stuff."

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Budman,
I haven't been to this area before. Is it a safe stroll after dark?

Would we be better off to take the Metro to Georgetown or Dupont areas for dinner?
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 06:50 PM

This is a very safe area. There's a bus that runs from the King Street Metro down to old town if you don't want to walk. Costs $1. On the weekends it's free.

It's a great stroll down to the River. We normally walk down one side of King St, and back up the other. Lots of shops, antique stores, restaurants, etc. Down near the river is the old torpedo factory converted into a craft/jewelry making stores. Enjoy.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, Budman,
It sounds like fun. We bought some guide books today and we're going to do some serious itinerary planning before we go!
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 05:34 PM

Last time we ate in Old Town we went to the Wharf (119 King St) and had an excellent seafood dinner. Not sure about a children's menu but there's always fried shrimp for them. There are several parking garages in Old Town; the one we usually use is in the block directly behind the Wharf, with entry from either Lee or Union Street. Our favorite restaurant for seafood used to be Potowmack Landing but they closed for renovation, then changed owners and were supposed to be changing the name and the menu. It's located in the Marina between Reagan National Airport and Alexandria and we used to ending watching both the sailboats in the river and planes landing at National. Anyone tried the replacement, or is it even open yet?
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 09:16 PM

If you're going into the District and would consider a trip into Chinatown, you might try Matchbox (www.matchboxdc.com). My 12-year-old niece was just in town from Ohio, and their mini burgers were a big hit with her. She was initially disappointed that they didn't have a kids menu with chicken fingers and mozzarella sticks, but she liked their wood-fire pizza, burgers and salmon entree.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 11:24 AM

While nothing outstanding, but pretty good, there are a couple of restaurants on your hotel's end of King St too: a Thai place, "Stellas" (American menu) -- Theismans (pub/burger) and others. I'd opt for other places, personally, but if in a pinch for time or bad weather these places will do.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 01:04 PM

There is also Austin Grill, a Mexican restaurant not far from your hotel. You will also be in walking distance to a Whole Foods grocery store.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 01:25 PM

The interactive map at www.funside.com is very helpful for finding restaurants (and everything else in Old Town). Old Town is quite safe to walk in the evenings and there are lots of nice places to take kids, no reason to trek to the District. If you have a car, use a city-owned garage, the best is under Market Square -- entrance on Fairfax St. -- these are less expensive at night and weekends. The Dash Bus is great too. We especially like:

South Austin (Tex Mex)at King and Columbus

Stella's, Joe Theismans and Thai Peppers (mentioned above)are all good and close to your hotel, as is Hard Times (chili).

King Street Blues (American) St. Asaph near King is also fun.

A wonderful "authentic" Italian is La Piazza at the Braddock Road Metro, one stop before King. Exit the metro, turn right, cross Braddock and it is right there. It doesn't look like much, but the owners (he's from NYC / she's from Southern Italy) are very friendly and the food is great. They'll do pasta with butter for kids.

If you'll have a car I can provide a ton more places that are great for kids and adults.

I don't think the place at Powtomack Landing is open yet.

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 01:25 PM

Hard Times Cafe on King Street was one of my favorites when I lived in the area... plus they have chicken fingers! Their specialty is different varieties of chili - cheap and tasty.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Kal

Generous George's still open?
Might be a cab ride but good inexpensive pizza, a ton o' pasta and a funky decor.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 08:04 PM

Kal, you've restored my faith in the DC area posters. I can't believe no one else suggested Generous George's! It's THE place to go with kids in Alexandria. They'll love it.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 09:30 PM

Generous George's is fine for birthday parties or soccer parties, for a night out with kids there is better pizza to be had closer to Old Town. While Generous George's is certainly different, it is loud, hectic and tends to overwhealm and over-stimulate the whole family. If you're going to take a cab out Duke St. go about 2 more blocks to Cafe Monti and kids can feast on pizza while parents enjoy excellent Italian / Austrian fare -- no decor though, it's mainly carryout.

I would also suggest Quattro Formaggio on Duke St. near the King St. metro. For the price of a cab (or a nice walk) Monroes on Commonwealth and Fireflies on Mount Vernon Ave. have excellent pizza. Fireflies has a very nice children's menu as well.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Kal

Ann41...not bad for a guy living in Nor Calif!

We were "introduced" to GenGeorge's years ago after a long bike ride down the CnO Canal towpath from Harper's Ferry to DC.
Great place to "replennish" after a ride like that. Schooners o' beer!

Loved the retro decor.

We swing out there during all DC trips.
An evil pleasure considering all the good places in DC.

George was a total kick in the pants. Quite the BSer.

Their website gives me a big grin just looking at it.

I'd love to open a place like that in my neck o' the woods. "Franchise"???
Hmmmmmmm.... :-?

sprin2,
it is loud, hectic and tends to overwhealm and over-stimulate the whole family.
And people wonder why I like it?
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:03 AM

100 King fits the bill!
http://www.100king.com/ is nice, serves mesas (Mediterrian tapas) as well as entrees. And has a kids' menu! It opened about 4 months ago. We went last week. I recommend reservations, though you'll probably be OK without if seated by 6:30.

By the Metro, I'd pick Stella's over Joe's.

And in Del Ray, for families, I'd pick Fireflies or Evening Star (both on Mount Vernon Avenue) over Monroe's. Both have small menus. Everything is good. At fireflies, they do wood burning pizza and have happy hour prices 4:30 - 6:30 Tues - Friday.