Restaurants in Amherst, New York

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Tom

Restaurants in Amherst, New York

Any restaurant suggestions (other than chains)in Amherst, New York? Thanks!

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Cheryl

One of my favorites is Cameo's on Niagara Falls Boulevard. Great food, very casual. My sister-in-law loves the Dakota Grill on Maple Road. Probably more business casual. Amherst is a HUGE suburb of Buffalo. If you provide more info. re: where you're staying and what you like (restaurant wise), I can probably give you more suggestions.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 04:08 PM
Kathy

Agree, more info is needed, as there are many great restaurants in Amherst, ranging from fine dining to great casual spots. Two I'm thinking of are the Creekview on Main St. and another on Main St., Cafe Aroma. Tom, tell me what you're looking for and I can give you lots of suggestions. The restaurants in the Buffalo area are great.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Lois

Jasmine's has good Thai food. It's at the intersection of Maple and Niagara Falls Blvd. San Marco is an excellent choice for Northern Italian with excellent service and ambience, and is just minutes away. And, for casual food and great breakfasts, our favorite is The Original Pancake House on Main St. in Williamsville. I realize you asked for Amherst, but the last two are just minutes away.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 07:51 PM
kmarie

Tom--I'd agree with Kathy's rec of the Creekview and suggest getting an outdoor table overlooking Ellicott Creek. Many folks like their fish fry (there are plenty of other choices on the menu if that does not appeal). Another long-time, popular spot on Main Street in the Village of Williamsville is the Eagle House (not quite across the street from the Creekview). I'm not sure if the sauerbraten is a regular special; my husband and my aunt thought it was really good.

We liked Dakota Grill the few times we were there but it's a different experience--menu and atmosphere--from the other two. The Eagle House was established in the 1830's, I think; Creekview's been a fixture in the Village a long time. Dakota Grill does have atmosphere but it's of recent vintage, in a group of stores, with a large parking lot.

And while you are in town, be sure to try a beef on weck. You'll find Charlie the Butcher (in the former Cayuga Snack Bar location) at the intersection of Cayuga and Wehrle, not far from the airport. Picnic tables outdoors next to the parking spots; sausage, hamburgers, soup--but get the beef on weck!

Lois, where is San Marco? also on the Boulevard? Have you been to Siena, on Main Street near Harlem? We know where we'll be for two evenings next weekend; depending on what time we arrive, we may be looking for a place for Friday dinner. Thanks!

Has anyone heard of a new-ish (I think) restaurant in the same group of stores as ZuZan's on Main Street between North Forest and the Thruway? In Amherst, Tom. ;-) Metro, maybe? Any comments? Thanks!

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Kathy

kmarie, The restaurant on Main St. in the same plaza as ZuZon's is Le Metro. I don't much about it. We went there once when it first opened and it was 30 minutes before we even had a server approach us to take a drink order so we left and went somewhere else. San Marco is on Kensington, I believe in the Snyder section of Amherst. It's a good choice. By the way, for those that don't know, the Village of Williamsville is actually part of the town of Amherst. Amherst is made up of serveral mailing addresses including Eggerstville, Snyder, Williamsville, Getzville and East Amherst.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 04:41 PM
kmarie

Thanks, Kathy! Sounds like Le Metro is off our list and San Marco is on...

Tom, we haven't heard back from you. Do you know what part of Amherst you will be in? What kind of restaurant are you looking for? I suspect there will be plenty of opinions expressed if you say you'd like wings for one meal!

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:32 AM
Rachel

Many good places to choose from. Sienna, San Marco, Creekview, are all terrific. Other favorites Calvanescos (upscale food but causal)on Transit in Clarence, but one side of Transit is Amherst, the other side is Clarence), Soupherb for lunch (on sheridan Drive, near Youngs), Bagel Jays (Hopkins Road) for bagels, etc) Changs (Maple Road) or ritas (Transit) for Chinese-but better yet go across the border to Ft. erie for Chinese to Ming Tehs. Duffs (sheridan and Millersport), Elmos (further out on Millersport) or Rooties (Stahl and Millersport-near Elmos) for wings, Lebros (Campbell and Dodge) for casual Italian. I guess it would help to know more of what your'e looking for and what area of Amherst.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 09:11 AM
Lois

Tom, I personally like Elmo's for wings best, although you couldn't go wrong with either Duff's or Anchor [the original, on Main st. in Buffalo I believe]. If you want to experience what the area is noted for, then you must have wings and beef on weck while you are there.