Reload this Page >

Buffalo Restaurant Recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Sarah

We're spending the weekend in Buffalo with our 14 year old daughter. We've been many times, (from Toronto - going shopping), and we're tired of Friday's, the Galleria restaurants. Can someone recommend something good in the Amherst/Walden Galleria area for dinner?

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Lois

You don't say what kind of food you'd prefer, but Jasmine's at the corner of Maple and Niagara Falls Blvd. is very good, and very reasonable. There are quite a few places to go for good wings in the area. Also, on Niagara Falls Blvd, is a new location for the Original Pancake House, which is just off of Rt. 290. Their breakfasts are excellent,, but they also have an interesting lunch and dinner menu. There are several restaurants on Main St. in Williamsville if that's not too far away.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Kathy

Sarah, There are so many good restaurants in the Buffalo area that it would be a shame to spend your time at a chain restaurant. There isn't much that I'd recommend in the Cheektowaga (Galleria Mall) area, but there are plenty in Buffalo and the Amherst/Williamsville area. Let me know what you're looking for and I can give you plenty of suggestions. What type of food, casual or formal, etc.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Michele

The Anchor Bar

http://www.buffalowings.com/newwings/anchorbar/anchorbar.html

The home of the original buffalo wings. And they are YUMMY.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:39 PM
Kathy

Just a quick comment on the Anchor Bar. I don't recommend it. It's in a bad section of town, and has gotten "seedy" over the years. Not a part of Buffalo that I recommend to out of towners to visit. There are many other places to go in town for good chicken wings.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 03:42 AM
topper

To the top for Sarah

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 04:48 AM
bennie

I travel to Buffalo on business fairly regularly and I like this place best for dinner. It's interesting in terms of its food and decor. Has a nice buzz. Never ate anything I didn't like. Its near Amherst.

Zuzon American Grille

5110 Main St Ste 125
Buffalo, NY 14221-5200
716-634-6123

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 07:22 AM
sarah

Thanks, everyone. We're staying at the Fairfield on Freeman St. in Williamsville (saving the bucks for Abercrombie!). We like Italian, steak, or French and American Bistro type food. Clean, cozy, comfortable, interestingly good food.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Kathy

I would recommend Cafe Aroma or the Creekview, both are on Main St. in Williamsville. Another poster recommeded Zuzon which is also on Main St. in Williamsville (not Buffalo) and a short distance from the other two. Cafe is Italian, small and cozy, and the food is great. The Creekview has pretty much everything, but alot of seafood specials. If you need more specific directions, let me know.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 12:52 PM
James

Can I ask a stupid question? I grew up near Toronto (in the past few years) and I have visited Buffalo (it's actually surprisingly nice in certain areas).

Anyway, why would you go from Canada *TO* the US for shopping? With the Canadian dollar at US$0.625 , most cross border shopping is going the other way (US shoppers getting CAN$1.60). Are there stores in Buffalo that aren't in Toronto?

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Ilovebuff

two tuff, if you had read her post sarah says she's been to buffalo many times. no need to bash, she likes to visit for reasons you wouldn't bother to find out about.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Lois

Buffalo Brew Pub is just off the corner on Main ST. if you're coming from the Fairfield Inn, and we enjoy eating there for a casual dinner. We also have enjoyed Zuzon, which is a bit further down on Main St.

A tip regarding the Fairfield Inn -- ask for a room on the third floor. The bottom two floors have rooms with exterior doors, opening to an outside walkway. The third floor has interior hallways and is much nicer.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 07:25 PM
sarah

I guess some folks did not notice my message regarding Abercrombie and shopping. I have a 14 year old daughter. She loves Abercrombie & Fitch for clothes, and Victoria's Secret for undies - neither of which are in Canada. So we do a one day or a 24 hour hop into Buffalo to do some shopping. I can also get all the flavours of Diet Snapple by the case there - only two flavours available in TO. Believe me, I am well aware that there are no bargains in the US with the Canadian dollar exchange rate. To everyone else, thanks so much for the tips.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 09:56 PM
James

Hi Sarah:

I'm sorry if my post sounded nasty or obnoxious. That was not my intent. I was just wondering what stores were in Buffalo that are not in Toronto. For some reason, I thought I saw A&F in Toronto last time I was there. I remember Old Navy having moved in definitely, just thought that maybe A&F was there.

I remember that until a few years ago, Cherry Coke was no available in Canada, and friends of mine would bring it back from the US. I always assume that everything is pretty much the same, but I guess some things are a bit different (did you know that they don't have Aero or Smarties in the US?)

Sorry if my comments had offended. Enjoy your trip

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 03:52 AM
x

My gosh James--are you ever a breath of fresh air here!

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 04:06 AM
Wow

James, you da man! For a moment I thought I was on the wrong board!

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 04:12 AM
xxx

I agree, it's nice to see someone like James once in awhile. By the way, we do have smarties in the U.S. and always have.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 05:41 AM
Rachel

All of the suggestions were good, and here's some more.. Salvatores (On Transit)-the place with all the statues and old cars out front-it looks showy and frankly is kind of showy (they used to wear pins that say we love to over do it) actually has excellent food and service. You can go dressed in jeans or tuxedos and it's always a real sight. There are frequently small wedding parties, celebrations, and people on first dates-all a signt to see. they do some tableside cooking which our teens think is "sweet". Carmines on Transit has good Italian food. Chef's in downtown Buffalo has great Italian food, McMahons on Maple (between North forest and Hopkins, has excellent steaks. changs Garden in the same strip plaza as McMahons, has good Chinese food, Grover's on Transit (heading north) is a real local saloon that has terrifc burgers (huge), fries, and wings, Pizza Plant (Transit Road), near Eastern Hills Mall. charlie the butchers, on Cayuga and Wehrle, by the airport, is famous for beef on weck, and great homemade soups (great for lunch), Friar's Table and Bings are both great-the hotel should be able to direct you to them-all within 10 minutes of your hotel. Enjoy

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Cindy

A bunch of us who work together do an annual one-day jaunt to Buffalo to shop at the outlet mall on Niagara Falls Boulevard. I also go with another friend to the huge outdoor antique show in Clarence, every year. I don't know that Buffalo is a fantastic tourist spot, but we certainly enjoy going there to shop and browse! Despite the bad exchange rate, there are bargains to be had at the mall. So don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Debbie

Sarah, do you have American Eagle stores in Toronto? If you're not familiar with them, they're very similar in clothing styles to Abercrombie and there is one on the lower level of the Galleria Mall. If your daughter likes Abercrombie she'll also like American Eagle. Also, Aeropostale is also similiar, and alot less expensive than Abercrombie, but if you've been coming to the Galleria for a while you're probably familiar with both of these stores.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -