Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Reporter seeking comment on Ritz-Carlton.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2004, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all. I'm a reporter writing a piece on customer service at Ritz-Carlton. If you have a story of extraordinary service -- either positive or not -- I'd love to hear it. No B.S., pls. This is for a national magazine and you'll have to give me your first and last name and the where and when of your stay. I am very interested in real stories, though. Send an email to [email protected]. Thanks, DM
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 07:17 AM

Surely the article is more specific than that. Is there a particular Ritz-Carlton you're talking about, or at least are you narrowing it down to those in the US instead of the international ones? Are you focusing on the hotels or the resorts?
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

it's not more specific, actually. it's about ritz-carlton's focus on service, wherever that may be. thanks, dm
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 03:46 PM

For what it's worth I've stayed in several Ritz Carltons in the US and have been underwhlemed by the service. Four Seasons and Mandarin Oriental do a much better job in this bracket.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 03:49 PM
GoTravel

Back in the mid nineties, the service was very slack. Honestly, staying at the Ritz-Carlton Buckhead or downtown Atlanta was no better than staying at a mid level hotel.

Old Feb 9th, 2004, 04:13 PM

Agreed. I'll take a Courtyard by Marriott over the Buckhead Ritz anyday.

I have experienced exemplary service at the Boston Ritz, however.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 04:21 PM

When my spouse and I were younger and not used to staying in more "luxurious" places, we stayed at a Ritz in southern California. Before we stayed there, we asked the front desk if jacket and tie were required at their restaurant. We were assured that a collared shirt was all that was necessary. When we showed up to dine, however, the restaurant insisted upon shirt and tie, and gave my husband one of theirs. It was an embarrassing moment for us, and I've never stayed at a Ritz Carlton since...
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 04:27 PM

My two young daughters, their grandmother and I recently had high tea at the Ritz Carlton in Boston. The service was wonderful. My girls still giggle over having their napkin placed in their lap by the tuxedoed,white-gloved waiter. It was a memorable day.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 04:44 PM

I'm not sure I understand why a reporter would be anonymous. Can you please give your name?
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 05:31 PM

I think its either Barbara Walters or Dan Rather. We all know that great reporters always get their stories by going online and asking opinions of strangers. And you can't blame such famous reporters from wanting to remain anonymous.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 06:11 PM

I'm suspiciouly paranoid. I think it's a serial killer seeking information from us unsuspecting saps. You know that's rampant on this forum.

Run for the hills! Hide your children! Cancel your Ritz reservations immediately!
AHHHHHH!!!!
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 06:42 PM

Before the typo police get on my case, make that "suspiciously paranoid." I wouldn't want to corrupt the children with poor spelling.

Now where was I . . . oh yeah . . .

AHHHHHH!!!!!
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 07:15 PM

Gekko, that will be a really nice quote in the New York Times. I hope duffmcd spells your name right.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 11:20 AM

The Ritz chain has a strange reputation.

I have stayed at nearly two dozen Ritz Carltons and Four Seasons over the last two years and the Ritz Carlton is far superior as a whole. The RC certainly has more consistent service and better facilities. The option of a Club level is also a big difference.

Nonethless, people seem to have it planted in their heads that the Four Seasons is better. I dont mind the reputation though...it keeps the rates down!
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 12:45 PM

They won the Malcom Baldridge National Quality Award . That would be your start for the article. research the MBA
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

For all the amateur sleuths out there, the reason a reporter would wish to remain anonymous is so that a rival publication doesn't pick up on the story in advance. Clearly, there's a leap of faith to me made in a request like this, but I really am looking for real life stories. If "bennie" or "ttangomd" has any interest in chatting, please email me at [email protected]. We'll take it offline. Thaks, DM