Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Quick weekend getaway drive within 2 hours of NYC???

Feb 15th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice resort within 2 hours of NYC for a quick (this coming weekend - Feb 20,21) - a place that has an indoor pool, maybe, and nice rooms and food?? we've got Cabin fever, but don't want to worry about snow and driving, and can't fly at the moment. thanks.
Feb 15th, 2010, 10:33 AM

Adirondacks? Poconos?
Feb 15th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Spivonius. Do you know of a nice resort in the Adirondacks? haven't been there in years?
Feb 15th, 2010, 01:52 PM

I hear that this place is fantastic!

http://www.thelodgeatwoodloch.com/Welcome14.html

-john
Feb 15th, 2010, 02:09 PM

I listed a bunch of spa resorts that might work on this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ack-us-spa.cfm
Feb 15th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. Who knew that such great places were so nearby!

The Lodge at Woodloch sure does look fabulous! I think I'll call there.

Will report if we go.
Feb 16th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Ok, everyone. I've made a reservation at the Lodge at Woodloch for next week for a couple of days. Looking forward to doing almost nothing in a beautiful place.

Thanks, bmw732002! I'll report back
Feb 16th, 2010, 10:39 AM

I have only used the Golf Course at this resort. But I do not think it would be quite ready to play on it right now! ;-)

Maybe a little Cross Country skiing!!

Looking forward to feedback, I hit that area often in the summer!
-john
Feb 16th, 2010, 11:49 AM

What about a stay-cation? The Peninsula has a great indoor pool area and plenty of great restaurants within a block or two. You can likely get a good deal this time of year that includes breakfast and a room category upgrade.
Feb 16th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Ryan: Would love the Peninsula some time. It's a lovely place. Our trouble is that we have MANY friends who weekend from the city up here in the country (Hudson Valley) who always offer us their apartments in several wonderful parts of NYC, so it's tough to pass up FREE.

bmw: How is the golf at Woodloch? No golf this time for us, but if DH loves it I KNOW we'll go back for golf. I won't take my cross country skiis this time, since I really need a REST, but I wanted to do it in different charming and restful surroundings. the feedback on TA is excellent for Woodloch.
Feb 24th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

bmw732002: We're back just half an hour ago from the Lodge at Woodloch, and I can't thank you enough for the suggestion!!

It FAR surpassed my hopes for a winter getaway!

DH, who is definitely NOT a spa-goer could not find anything wrong at ALL. (well, he said, maybe another hook on the wall in the bathroom.)

It is gorgeous, it is extremely well staffed with lovely friendly, but not in-you-face people, who are knowledgeable and helpful. (not only was our car cleaned of any snow, it was driven down to the door, and warmed up for us, while they stowed our luggage exactly where we wanted it!)

The food was probably the biggest surprise. It was so delicious, and DH called it an "excellent restaurant" in its own right. This is high praise from a man who never diets, never exercises (believes its all in the genes and his parents lived almost forever) and though very sweet, usually has many minor complaints. Nary a one for this place, (except the hook) and he said he'd even go back. (He's thinking GOLF in the spring, of course!)

I loved the classes I took: (best water aerobics I ever had) also good Pilates, and a marvelous state of the art gym. The pool is divine - take a look at the web site. www.lodgeatwoodloch.com

I was sort of hoping we'd get marooned up there in the Poconos, but we had to get out today as planned, because there is a worse storm coming, so they say.

It is way up in the middle of nowhere, which is the only possible drawback, and driving up Route 6 west from Milford, Pa. is a bit depressing, but you forget all that as soon as you get there.

Many, many thanks for the help in finding this place I had NEVER even heard of. Fodorites are amazing!
Feb 24th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Of course I meant "in-YOUR-face"
Feb 25th, 2010, 08:29 AM

WOW! Taconictraveler, that was some high praise! I am so glad it worked out for you.

Yes I agree RT 6 is a boring ride. But it gets nicer in the spring and summer.

Area picks up as the summer crowds(not really crowds) heads to Lake Wallenpaupeck and the Hawley area.

Woodlock is like an "oasis" in a rustic area. Golf course is wonderful! I am sure now that you have stayed there, you will be on their mailing/emails list. Great Golf packages with Spa in the spring/ summer.

And it does fit that 2 (probably more like 3) hours from NYC!
-john
Feb 25th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

It was a little over 2 hours for us coming from the mid-Hudson Valley area, actually a very easy drive. And yes, The Lodge at Woodloch seems like an oasis in a rustic area.

We did think that it would be mighty pretty in the spring, summer and fall, and intend to drive around some of those very curvy roads in better weather. The town of Hawley looks quite nice, a little like the Vermont town that DH is from, and I discovered today that my secretary's family had a summer place in Hawley for years.

It's just an area not too far away that I never knew about til you mentioned it. so thanks again, and I would suggest it to anyone as a near NYC place to get away!