Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Question regarding Neil Simon Theater (Hairspray)

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 03:10 PM
Mary

I have tickets to see Hairspray and on the seating chart (playbill.com) I can't find that my row exists! My tickets are for what ticketmaster calls "Mid Mezzanine" Row M.
This makes it sound like there is a front mezzanine, a mid mezzanine and a rear mezzanine (or maybe it's a balcony). Does Neil Simon have both a mid mezzanine as well as a balcony? Maybe my seats are in the balcony...??? Anyone familiar with this theater? Thanks, Mary

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 06:55 PM
x

The seating chart for the theater shows a row of seats in the last row of the center rear mezzanine. It isn't identified but that could be row M. In years past the front of the balcony was identified as the mezzanine. THe seats behind were called balcony seats. With today's prices I guess the theater owners decided to rename the balcony the rear mezzanine - sounds better. Whatever they call it still is long way from the stage.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 07:02 PM
nat

According to my STUBS book (all the theatres seating plans) row M is the very last row in the Neil Simon Theatre.

The Neil Simon is a small theatre. The entire place is 1334 seats. Most musical houses sit a few hundred more.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 08:16 PM
Karen

We have Rear Mezz. seats in Rows R and S. If according to your seating charts, row M is the last row, where are rows R and S?

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 09:17 PM
Sheryl

Tell me this ain't so...as I'm in row S rear mezzanine. What gives here...where in the hell are our seats....on the moon? Maybe I should be asking for our $ back!

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 09:25 PM
Steve

I've seen 3 different diagrams of Neil Simon theater...what gives? I agree, there is confusion. Is there a balcony? Steve

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 02:29 PM
Steve

topping...

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Bruce

Here is the CORRECT web site for Neil Simon theater.:

http://www.nederlander.org/hairspray...mon_seats.html

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Maria

We had tickets in, I think, Row R, for Hairspray a few weeks ago; if I remember correctly, there are two mezzanines/balconies; we could hear OK, seeing was just OK. I do wonder if I would have enjoyed it more had I been closer; I didn't think it was so great.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Tammy

I was sitting in the isle seat, row L (mezzanine left side) and LOVED it. I could see fine. In fact, I prefer the mezzanine for shows like this where there's action going on all over the stage. I think this theater is very viewer friendly. Of course, row A mezzanine would have been my very first choice but it still worked out fine.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 06:55 AM
gracie

Bruce: that website for Hairspray doesn't work. Please advise on how to find the CORRECT website for seating chart. Thanx!

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Frank

The "real" Mezz in the Neil Simon is only 5 rows, A through E. Anything beyond that is the Balcony, regardless of how they have re-lettered the rows. It seems they added a couple of extra rows to the end of the balconey.

The Original seating plan is at:

http://www.ticketservice.com/html/neil_simon_theatre_new_york.html

New and Imporved Plan:

http://www.hairspraytickets.com/hseating.html

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Phyllis

I just did a copy and paste and this web site worked great for me:

http://www.nederlander.org/hairspray/neil_simon_seats.html

I saw hairspray with seats in the mezzanine (I think it was row K) and they were just fine. It's a fun show that has tons of tallent. We were in NYC last weekend and saw this show as well as Movin'Out. I liked them both equally well but my husband thought Movin'Out was the better of the two. We're going back in January and have tickets to The Producers and Dance of the Vampires...can't wait!

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Me

In most of these broadway theater, most seats are decent except maybe those on the far sides. With the demand for tickets to Harispray, any seat is a good seat.