Question regarding madison Square Garden-Taxi-JFK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question regarding madison Square Garden-Taxi-JFK

Hello!

I have a question on the feasability of doing this:

I want to attend a Boxing match at Madison Square Garden in November but am on a tight budget. I am considering flying into LGA on 11/10, the day of the fight. I would spend the day in NYC and then go to the fight in the evening. I would then take a Taxi from MSG after the fight, late saturday night early Sunday morning to JFK (I would have a 12:35 pm flight on sunday 11/11.) Are there going to be cabs available late Saturday night that would do the drive to JFK? Would I be able to get into JFK so late at night if my flight was leaving until 12:30 the next day?

Thank you!

Doug
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 02:00 PM

There are plenty of cabs. A cab will cost you close to $60 by the time you pay for tolls and tips.

Just wondering why you want to spend that many hours at the airport, since it sounds like you plan to go there directly from MSG. I'm not positive about JFK's policy about overnighting in terminals.

Since you're on a budget, just below MSG you can take either the LIRR (commuter rail) or E train (subway) to Jamaica station and connect there to the AirTrain to JFK. Both of these options would cost less than $10.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 04:28 PM

Rather than spend $60 on a cab and sleep in the airport I would get a bed in a hostel for the night ($40 max) and then take public transit the next day. It won;t cost you any more and you can get a decent night's sleep.

And not worry about being either arrested for vagrancy - or moved along by the police. (If people are snowed in at the airport or stranded it's one thing. But - they certainly don;t encourage people to hang around the airport all night.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the replies!

I bought my airfare today. I'm flying into LGA on 11/10 and taking a cab into the city. Going to see a fight at MSG and then I'm planning to take a cab to LGA. My return flight to GRB leaves at 7am the next day.

I'm going to London in December and am trying to save my $ for that trip.

Another question: Does anyone know if LGA will be open at around 1 in the morning? that's when I'm expecting to get there after the fight.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 04:40 AM

A cab from MSG to LGA should be closer to $35 bucks expecially at that time.

Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 09:01 AM

If you're really looking to save money, you can get to/from LGA by shuttle bus for $12/person rather than spending $30-35 each way for a taxi if you're traveling alone.
http://www.nyairportservice.com/fares.html