COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Help me decide which NY airport to fly in to

Old Jul 4th, 2003, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Help me decide which NY airport to fly in to

I'm trying to decide which airport to fly in to. We are trying to stay on a real budget and all the taxi fares seem very high. Which airport has the best (meaning easiest) public transport? This seems to be the most economical way to go.
Also I can get a good flight out of Westchester. If I did that, and took the Metro NOrth train to White Plains station, how much would a taxi be from there to the airport? And would going to that airport be too much more of a hassle than the other airports? Thanks for any help.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 07:28 PM

Forget taking a taxi and call the Super Shuttle (blue van) folks for an estimate. On the internet at www.supershuttle.com. I know the trip from NYC Upper Eastside to Newark costs me only $19 includes tolls...tip extra.

Great door-to-door very reliable service and you will not have to get to Grand Central Terminal, then take a train and then a taxi. All the time you are lugging your bags. Stop schlepping and spend a few dollars to arrive like a human. Less stress all around.
Old Jul 4th, 2003, 11:56 PM

Well the easiest and least expensive would be to fly into JFK and you can take a shuttle bus (free) to the train station and take the A train into Manhattan for $2.00.

Newark will take some time and is ALOT more expensive into Manhattan figure $50 with toll and tips. The above poster meant to say LaGuardia not Newark.

Yes LaGuardia will cost about $20 with toll and tip into the city without alot of traffic.

Depending on where you are staying, you might get a map of the Metro NYC area and figure out what is the best airport.

Westchester is a long trek from Manhattan and more expensive to get to and out of, if $ is a main concern, I would look into flying in and out of JFK, probably the easiest by public transportation, and make sure your baggage will be on wheels, because you will be climbing up and down stairs at the begining and end of your train ride, but for $2.00 it is the most economical trip.

Have a good time while you are here.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 05:23 AM

At Newark Airport you can take the train from the airport to Manhattan. I can't remember the website but I posted something on this about a year or so ago - you can do a search here on Newark. The trip cost $11 one way.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 05:29 AM

JFK free shuttle/subway combination is the cheapest at $2. It will take roughly 1.5 hours into Midtown.

La Guardia has a city bus/subway option like this too, though I have never tried it because lugging your bags up those steep bus stairs isn't worth it.

Newark has a monorail/NJ transit train option ("AirTrain") for about $11-$12. It's very easy - I do it often. It takes you to Penn Station.

All 3 airports have buses that will take you directly into the city. The costs are roughly $12 from Newark or Laguardia and $18 from JFK. I have taken the Newark one often (b/f the AirTrain existed) and the JFK one once. I found the subway to JFK was faster during rush hour (my friend and I had a race!)

Taking a cab from Laguardia is not expensive either...about $25. It's worth it if there's more than 1 person. A cab can hold 4 people plus the driver.

I would not recommend the Super Shuttle because you pay per person and it makes many stops.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 05:38 AM
BAK

Remeember that in a cab several people travel for the one fare.

On the shuttle buses, etc., each passenger pays, so it can turn out that two people, on a bus, pay close to what two people would pay (one fare covering both people) by cab.

Also, when you get off the shuttle buses in Manhatten, you may then need a cab to get to your final destinationso you pay an extra amount for that.

BAK
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. You've really given me excellent advice.
Now to work on my air miles to see if I can work out flights into the 'best' airports. That could be the problem and I may have to take what I can get.
That's why I'm also considering Westchester. I'm travelling to and from NY on our Canadian Thanksgiving, so I could be limited. But knowing the ground transportation options will be a big help. There are 2 of us, so the shuttles may indeed work out to be too expensive.
Thanks again.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 06:31 AM

If you fly into LaGuardia, you can take the M60 bus into Manhattan, which travels along 125th Street and then catch one of the downtown subways. If you already have a Metrocard, which can be bought on the internet, it is a free transfer. The trip would cost $2, but if you are using an unlimited Metrocard, the overall cost will lessen the more you use it.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks GothamPC. NOw I have more questions. I'm having a senior's moment and can't remember the name of the NYC transit. HOw do I find out more about the metro card? And about the bus route 60?
Also if we arrive in the AM rush, will we have a problem with our luggage on the bus?
WE really won't have tons of luggage, perhaps a 20" on rollers.
Thanks for any more advice.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 07:38 AM

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you puddy.
I've checked the site..and it looks good. I think it might be worth our while to get a 7 day metrocard even though we'll only be there 4 days.
Gothampc.. I can't find any mention of buying a metropass on the internet.. Am I missing it?
If I had to buy it at a vending machine or ticket booth, is there one at La Guardia?
Thanks again for any help.
Old Jul 5th, 2003, 05:07 PM

I would NOT recommend you take the city bus (M60) if you have 20" roller suitcases! Unless you are a weightlifter or something. Seriously...those steps are steep, and if the bus is crowded too it will be a most uncomfortable ride. There is ZERO luggage storage on city buses. Oh, and then you'll have to navigate all the stairs on the subway, on top of that...no way. Take a cab if you come into Laguardia. You'll be in town in 15 minutes.
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 10:30 AM

kodi, the tourist bureau used to sell Metrocards online, but I've checked their website and it seems they no longer have that option. You can buy a Metrocard when you get to LaGuardia at one of the newstands.

If you take the M60 bus, it may be crowded, but people that take that bus expect it to be a jumble of suitcases and people. It is the cheapest way to get into Manhattan if you are on a budget. When you get on the bus, head for the back, there is less moving your luggage to accommodate people back there.

One helpful hint for when you transfer to a subway. Most have gates that you can wheel your luggage through rather than using the turnstiles. What you need to do is go to the clerk in the booth and tell him/her that you need to go through the gate. You then swipe your card at one of the turnstiles and turn the turnstile so that the clerk can see you have paid your fare. Then they will hit the button that releases the gate and you can walk through with your luggage.
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 01:31 PM
GoTravel

Unless you are traveling by yourself, fly into LaGuardia and split the taxi (under $30 including tax, tip, fare, and tolls) with everyone in your party. To me, it is not worth the extra money having to sit on a bus/train for an hour or so to save a few dollars. Taxi usually takes around 20 minutes or so.

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 07:21 AM

I take the M60 bus quite often, and like most city buses today they to NOT have steep steps, but some actually "kneel" for passengers. There will not be any storage space, and the newsstands (Hudson?) in the baggage area of the airport sell the passes.

I think a good compromise between cab and bus/subway prices for 1 or two people is the NY Airport Service buses ( http://www.nyairportservice.com/ ) where round trip booked in advance will be $16 each LGA and $22 JFK. It's an "express" motor coach (luggage stored underneath) that has stops at Grand Central Terminal & Port Authority Bus Terminal. They also have shuttle service (you must transfer to smaller buses) from GCT to various hotels but I'd recommend taxi other means as some of those hotel shuttles stop EVERYwhere and can take as long from GCT to hotel as it did to get from the airport.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 08:58 AM

This website lists the ground and public transportation options for all the New York airports. I think that Newark would be the easiest in terms of public transportation into The City. Just take the Airtrain and tranfers to New Jersey Transit and get off at Penn Station.

http://panynj.com/aviation.html
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Again, thank you all so much.
IT turns out, because of trying to wangle the best times with my airmiles, that we will be flying into LaGuardia and leaving from Westchester. These flights allowed us to maximize our time in NYC.
I really like the sounds of the Airport Service (thanks you RB), but we may have to stick to the M60 bus, and save our money to get to Westchester on the way home. I understand that we take the train to White Plains and then the taxi from there can be expensive. I don't see any shuttles that go to Westchester.
Anyway, again, thanks for all the suggestions. We are really looking forward to our trip. It is my niece's dream to visit New York City, so all of it will be a wonderful adventure.