Search

BEST AIRPORT FOR NYC TRIP

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEST AIRPORT FOR NYC TRIP

Hi There-
Another question! Is one airport better than another for traveling into NYC? I can get pretty decent rates from Atlanta into LaGuardia on Airtran, and a little higher for Delta going in to JFK.
Thanks!
Tammy
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 08:31 AM

LGA is far more convenient to most all of Manhattan, and it's less hassle.

If you're staying in Manhattan north of 14th Street, then LGA is the obvious choice.

Old Nov 6th, 2008, 08:36 AM

We always take Airtran when we fly int NYC and have no trouble getting a taxi to take us into Manhattan.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 08:39 AM

LGA if you are going into the city, JFK is more convenient to Long Island.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 08:43 AM

You can get into Manhattan on the cheap from all three NYC airports. To me, the best airport is the one where the best scheduled flight at the cheapest fare lands.

Newark (EWR) to Penn Station costs something like $11 on the train, so if your fare to EWR beats those to LGA and JFK, that's an added bonus. EWR to Penn Station takes a bit longer than a cab from LGA, but the cab into midtown from LGA costs about $35.

The cheapest by far: From LGA take city bus M60 and change to any one of the uptown-downtown subways from 125th in Harlem, piece of cake. It gets a bit crowded, and you need a lot of quarters (no change given, no bills - and no change machine at the kerb - how stupid is that?). But I've done it many times and saved a bundle.

From JFK, if you are not in a hurry and want to save money, take the airport train out to where it meets the A train subway, read all about it on the JFK website.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 09:05 AM

Cloest/shortest trip is from LGA unless you're staying way downtown.

But - really the only way into the city is by cab - around $35/$40 total. Public transit is possible - but will take a couple of changes at least, negotiating stairs with luggage and at least 2 hours into the city (versus 30 to 45 minutes by cab - depedning on exactly where you're going and at what time).
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 05:47 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I've tried all kinds of combinations but I'm a big believer in getting the best airfare and then taking a car service.
I've been happy with Carmel Limo Service -http://www.carmellimo.com/
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

starrs-
Thanks so much for the limo info. I've put that in my notebook. Nice and reasonably priced!
Tammy
p.s. Just finished reading your trip report last night. So helpful and entertaining!
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 02:31 PM

I actually completely disagree with nytraveler on the airport transfer issue. You can very easily take the Airtrain/LIRR into Manhattan from JFK. The entire trip takes about 30 to 40 minutes once you get to the station and it costs $10 unless you are traveling during rush hour. I don't find that to be bad at all, and it's very convenient ... UNLESS you have a lot of luggage. But this is the only public transit that's really convenient and cheap.

The Airtrain/NJ Transit combination from EWR is more expensive and can be more of a hassle.

Granted, it's always easier to have a taxi or car service take you directly from the airport to your hotel. But it costs twice as much.

LGA is the closest airport to Manhattan, as everyone has suggested. I often do public transit into Manhattan (though rarely back to the airport), and if you are staying on the East side, the trip takes less than an hour ... about an hour and 20 minutes if you are staying on the west side.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 02:38 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Really, Tammy?
I'm so glad! It was a great trip. I'm going back in a couple of weeks with a friend who has NEVER been! Can't wait!
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 03:35 PM

Doug -

Sorry - I'm allergic to luggage on public transit. For someone with just a small carry-on, that they don;t mind toting up stairs (I gave up being pack mule woman about 15 years ago) or a poor student with no option, public transit is OK.

But for adults with more than one small carry-on - I can't imagine the few dollars more for a cab isn't worth it. (And if you think the that difference is more than a "few dollars" you're probably going to be shocked by a lot of prices in NYC.)