NYC Airports

Oct 24th, 2018, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

NYC Airports

Hi Everyone...
We are a group of 6 and wanting to know which of the 3 airports (JFK, LaGuardia or Newark) is the best choice for cheap, easy transportation options into Manhattan. We will be travelling Jan 2-5.
Thanks!
Oct 24th, 2018, 09:25 AM

JFK is served by an airtrain that will take you to the subway into Manhattan. That is the cheapest way to get into Manhattan (I think its $7.75 for the combination of airtrain and subway) and takes about 1-1/4 hrs. (You can also take the airtrain to the commuter train - Long Island Railroad - slightly more expensive and somewhat more comfortable).

Newark is served by an airtain that will take you to the New Jersey transit train into Manhattan. Also very convenient, more expensive than the subway.

LaGuardia isn't served by the subway or train at all, but there are some bus options.
Oct 24th, 2018, 09:40 AM

With six people, a van service might not be all that more expensive that taking the train. You should at least look into it. Van service should be available from any of the NYC airports.
Oct 24th, 2018, 02:05 PM
J62

I agree with the others. For a group of 6 consider a van service. Carmel & Dial7 are the two co's that get a lot of good press here on Fodors. I'd choose the airport based on flight schedules and cost. The range for non-stops into LGA is limited to a perimeter of 1500 miles, which includes Dallas and anything east/midwest but rules out anything in the western 1/3 of the country. (Denver being the singular exception).
Oct 25th, 2018, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by sf7307 View Post
Newark is served by an airtain that will take you to the New Jersey transit train into Manhattan. Also very convenient, more expensive than the subway.
Specifically, the fare from Newark Airport to New York Penn Station is $13.
Oct 26th, 2018, 08:34 AM

The answer to your question depends entirely on the answer to three questions: Where are you traveling from, when are you planning to arrive, and where in the city are you going (not all airlines fly to all airports or from all destinations, and some airports are more convenient to other parts of the city)? January 2 is a Wednesday, the first full workday after the new year, so traffic will be normal and likely heavy. It's also winter, so there might be snow. But with that many people, you'll almost certainly have to reserve a van service through a company like Dial 7 or Carmel, so the mode of transport is not really the issue. It's which airport works best for where you're coming from and where you're going. It will be a slog into Manhattan regardless of which airport you use.
Oct 26th, 2018, 09:56 PM

LGA is "as the crow flies" closest, but not necessarily the easiest, especially with the construction going on right now.
JFK is the farthest.
In between the two, EWR is my fave. If you are arriving on the same flight, just book a car/van service in advance (Carmel and Dial 7 are most popular.) It probably will not cost more (and maybe even less) than the six of you getting into Manhattan via train or bus from EWR, and will definitely be more convenient/comfortable.
Oct 27th, 2018, 04:33 AM

I know this is an old post, but I prefer JFK. You can hop right on the subway from there.