NYC airport information...

Old Sep 6th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC airport information...

Hi there!

I wanted to get some information regarding the airports in NYC. Our group will be flying from Orlando into New York. We are (right now) planning on staying at the Grand Hyatt at Grand Central Station. Which airport would be best (in your opinion)? Do both run through Grand Central?

I have checked out the MTA website but I find it a bit confusing. I am hoping I can get some help here. Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 04:34 PM
J62

To midtown Manhattan, the best airport is Laguardia. Both Newark and JFK are farther away.

Public transportation IS available from each of the 3 airports but it is neither direct nor quick. The Port Authority of NY/NJ website gives options if you want to go that route.

http://www.panynj.gov/

The easiest way to get from LGA to Grand Central is by taxi, for ~$45, max 4 people per taxi.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 05:24 PM

New York has 3 airports- LaGuardia, JFK and Newark. LaGuardia is the closest to the Grand Hyatt - but not by much.

None of the airports has trains going to Grand Central. You can get by train from Newark or JFK to Penn Station - on the west side. Grand Central is on the East side. You would then have to take the subway or a cab from one to the other.

Depending on how many people and how much luggage you have you may be better off with an airport shuttle or a cab. Some of the shuttles do stop at Grand Central - but they are - I believe $15 or $17 per person.

Cab from JFK into the city (up to 4 people) is $45 (flat) plus tip and toll. From LaGuardia the fare is on the meter plus tip and toll - more in the area of $30 to $35. Newark is significantly more - since you are bringing a cab in from Jersey.

I don;t reco using the train unless you have only one small carry-on - esp from JFK - which would require using the subway (or a cab from Penn Station once you're in the city) which can involve fairly long walks and lots of stairs.

Frankly - unless the airfares are all the same that's how I would pick - not ground transport.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 05:59 PM

I don't know how big your group is, but some car services have vans that hold more people than a cab, and are, per person, less expensive. Six of us took a van from midtown to LGA for $65.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 07:33 PM

If you're a cheapo like me and only use public transportation, then the choices become:

LGA - Public bus to subway. One fare - $2.

JFK - Airtrain to subway. $5 + $2 = $7.

EWR - Airtrain to NJTransit to subway. $14 + $2 = $16. (There are also cheaper ways by means of Newark city buses).

But with a group, others have given you better choices.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 08:25 PM

There is also a bus that runs from EWR and drops off around the corner from Grand Central.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 05:21 AM

sounds like you are celebrating sometihing.

one.. a trip alone.. (no men/kids/mother-in-laws).

2) just being together.

how about a limo? They are very reasonable with a group and could get the trip off to a bang for probably $15/$20 a person or so.

there are a number of limo servies but i haven't dealt with any one for many years. maybe someone here can give you a name or just google it.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 05:47 AM
GoTravel

The absolute easiest thing to do is to fly into LaGuardia and take cabs to your hotel.

I've done the car service thing, the coach thing, the airtrain thing from Newark, yadda, yadda, yadda.

LaGuardia is the easiest and quickest airport for Midtown and a cab is the easiest way to get there.

Old Sep 7th, 2005, 11:16 AM

In order of "easiest" to Grand Hyatt

LGA
JFK
EWR
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the good information. I am pretty sure we will take either a taxi or shuttle from the aiport....most likely LGA.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 10:19 AM

If your group will be arriving a few people at a time (at LGA or JFK), the New York Airport Service bus stops across the street from your hotel and has good rates, especially if you purchase round trip. At about the third person, the taxi becomes competitive, and wins for sure on the 4th.
http://www.nyairportservice.com/