Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Question for "iamq" or any other USVI vs Hawaii experts!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!
Having stumbled across the link to your fantastic photos of St. John and Kauai, I have to ask: Which do you prefer?

We are two outdoors loving thirty-somethings trying to make up our minds on a great honeymoon spot. We're planning to spend about a week wherever we ultimately choose. Hotel/lodging choices aside, how would you compare the islands themselves?

My impression is that St John would be more manageable as far as size goes, with perhaps a greater number of gorgeous and less-crowded beaches.
Kauai however seems to have more non-beach options: heli tours, the Waimea Canyon, hiking, waterfalls, etc. Do these outweigh the crowds?

Which of the two do you think has better snorkeling?

I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts you have on these two fantastic places!
Thanks!

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 02:53 PM

Hi,

What time of year are you going? St. John's high season is winter and it gets crowded during this time. If you are planning on going to the north shore of Kauai, the high season would be summer. I believe Hawaii's tourist seasons are less pronounced in general than the USVI's though. As far as snorkeling, Kauai has lots of turtles and waters are calm in summer, rougher in winter. St. John's waters are calm in most areas year-round. The sand is more like sugar on St. John, more rough (volcanic) on Kauai. You are correct there is more diversity of things to do on Kauai. I like them both.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 03:29 PM

You should go to Kauai, without a doubt. I was just married on the Big Island and wanted to spend a few days on Kauai but ran out of time. However, other honeymooners love it, particularly if they are the outdoorsy types. I would suggest the Princeville/Hanalei area. We went to St. John a few years ago and IMMEDIATELY bailed to do to BVI, a big improvement but it's no Hawaii. Personal taste perhaps. But HAVE FUN regardless.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 03:46 PM
sistahlou

where will you be flying from and what time of year.....could be important...regarding weather, surf etc....

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 04:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
my smart Sistah beat me to it, i was going to ask where you are flying from. with only one week, i'm not sure i'd fly to Hawaii all the way from Back East US for example.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 05:29 PM

i've seen bill (and plenty others) mention it's "apples to oranges," and I whole-heartedly agree

having been myself to both for the first time in 2006, I love both, and it's hard to put one above the other

as sistahlou and suze suggests, with only ~1wk, pick whichever's closest; or if winter pick St John (rainy season on Kauai), and if late summer pick Kauai instead (hurricane season)

StJ however does have much better snorkeling, as it has world-class from-shore snorkel spots, but that doesn't mean Kauai is anything to scoff at (tunnels and ke'e were particularly nice)
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 11:51 AM
sistahlou

topping for bruddah billyboy

Old Jan 7th, 2007, 12:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My USVI experience was many moons ago, but I just didn't find St Thomas or St John very interesting. Sure the beach was beautiful... Let's just say every other place I have ever been I have returned at least once (some locations a dozen+ times) except USVI. Only went there once.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 12:48 PM

aloha sistah! mat629 posted this same question on the Caribbean board and I tried to answer his questions there. I think he's coming from Portland, Ore.

Here's da thread.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...5&tid=34923362

mahalo wahine!

-pila
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 08:52 AM

For a honey, Kaua`i mo betta!