US Island Vacation - but where?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need to stay in the US for a September/October trip this year - I was thinking USVI or Hawaii. Does anyone have preferences as to which? I hear St. Thomas is overdeveloped on USVI - so St. John, St. Croix, or Hawaii (Maui or Kauai, I guess). We've never been to any and would love some opinions and advice!
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:49 AM

Hawaii (but NOT Wakiki Beach or Honolulu) gets my vote. Lots to do, take a helicopter to see the live volcano, etc. In winter the water is warmer in the Caribbean than in Hawaii - I don't know about in Sept/Oct.

St. John is very pretty, not real built up. Take your passport - you may want to take a charter excursion to the BVI.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 12:18 PM

Kauai or St John.Kauai IMO is more beautiful with all of the waterfalls and 's.

Kauai is not as built up as Oahu or Maui but still offers alot to see and do.

Also Kauai will not have the hurricane risk that St John would have that time of year.

Any more questions...feel free to ask as I have been to both Kauai and St John.Both are beautiful but Kauai gets the edge for beauty.

Christie
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 02:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hawaii is a long trip for east coasters, so try to take at least 10 days. I would recommend Kauai for total relaxation with some outdoor activities (hiking, snorkeling,etc..) Maui for a more posh and busier vacation, Big Island for a unique looking island with great snorkeling (We just went over spring break and we swam with giant turtles everywhere and beautiful fish.), Oahu has a big city on the beach with nightlife and shows(There is more to Oahu than Waikiki).
Hawaii has less hurricane issues than the caribbean especially in Sept/Oct time.
For beauty and relaxation on the east coast, St. John.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 02:50 PM

St. Thomas is NOT overdeveloped but Sept./Oct. is the height of hurricane season & also the hottest time of year here. I'd pick Hawaii.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 04:51 AM

If you can do Hawaii, GO!

Kauai was my favorite island of the three I've been to (Kauai, Oahu and Maui). Oahu was my second favorite in that the north shore is fairly Kauai-like. If you end up having to fly into Oahu/Honolulu anyway, stay a couple of days before island hopping elsewhere. See Pearl Harbor and rent a car to explore the north shore. Beautiful hiking and waterfalls...

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 10:41 AM

I wish I was in your situtation! Kauai is great. The most superb place I've ever been to,in fact. Many places to horse back ride. If you kayak, that is a wonderful way to see the island. Jet ski rentals are outlawed, but there are so many other things to do . Kauai is such a quiet, peaceful place also, if that's what you want. Don't forget to see the spectacular waterfalls. Go see the Menhune fishpond and listen to the legend behind it. They have done many movies on Kauai - Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc.
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 09:33 PM

I loved St. Croix.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 07:04 AM

Sorry about this being a Hawaii based question, but I want the input from the Caribbean lovers.
In 2008, it will be my parnets 50th anniv. My dad wants to do Hawaii. What island will we find must like the Virgin Islands? You know, the white sand beaches that are calm, snorkeling from the beach, fewer people, not touristy, and lush landscape? Thanks
I'd really rather continue to explore the Caribbean islands, but it is not my anniv!!!
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 11:23 PM

aloha mahobaygirl,
as rec'd by christiegr above, kauai comes closest to meeting your preferences; btw, i've been to the four majors (oahu, maui, big island and kauai)

except for lanikai and kailua on the windward side of oahu, no hawaiian beach comes remotely close to the whiteness (or calm, turquoise waters) of some of the best carib beaches

all hawaiian islands offer great-to-decent snorkeling from shore; generally, the further south the island, the better the snorkeling (warm waters best for coral) - so big island being the best, but kauai does have some good snorkel spots and plenty of fish and turtle sightings, just not much colorful corals

"fewer people and less touristy" - big island and kauai; although each of the islands have beautiful, remote spots not terribly overrun by resorts and tourists

lush landscape - all four, but north shore kauai along with its napali coast gets my top bid for verdant, majestic topography; the amazing valleys just north of the hamakua coast on the big island are equally lush and stunning, but there is limited, if any, access (visible by heli or plane ride only); just remember though, those "lush" places get a lot of rain during the winter season. luckily, the opposite side will almost always be sunny and dry on the same island.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 02:33 AM

bluefan-Thanks so much. It gives me a place to start researching!
I am going to print out your piece and put it with the little Hawaii tidbits I have been collecting!
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 03:00 PM

Hawaii has the waves if you like boogie boarding or surfing. Both have good beaches, diving and resorts.

Here are good tourist maps of both -

www.cccarto.com/virgin_islands.html
www.cccarto.com/hawaiian_islands.html