Virgin Islands or Kauai/Big Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2006, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last May(2005) my wife and I spent our honeymoon on Maui and Oahu and loved Maui soooooo much. We are already planning our next tropical vacation for either December(2006)or January (2007). I have always wanted to visit Kauai, but haven't. I have seen the Big Island too, but my wife hasnt. We really dont want to spend too much money, as our honeymoon was very expensive(Hawaii is so darn expensive as you know!). I am so in love with Hawaii, its not even funny. I seriously dream about it almost 2-3 times a week. Crazy huh? Anyways, we really hated how expensive it was to eat & drink in Hawaii. Will the Virgin Islands be cheaper?

We are wondering if the Virgin Islands(St. Thomas, St. John) would be as rewarding as Hawaii(Big Island & Kauai), or close to it? I figure we would save alot of money by going there instead(since the Virgin Islands have All Inclusives and Hawaii does not). Then hopefully make it to Kauai/Big Island in a couple years. What do you think?

This is basically the last nice tropical vacation we get to go on before we start having children, so I really need good input! Thanks!

-TJ in Wisconsin
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 06:02 AM

I too have been to Hawaii and loved it. I dream about it on a weekly basis, and its been 2 years now since we were there. My husband and I would also like to visit Virgin Islands, specifically St. John, so I hope you get some good responses.

I wonder how it compares to Hawaii. I've looked into it some and from what I can see it could easily cost us as much as Hawaii, except we probably won't stay there as long. Airfare from my small airport is around $450 to VI, and $600 to Hawaii. If you want to stay on St. John specifically, most of the hotels there are around $275-$375 a night!
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Hi Pianogirl. Thanks for the response. I can't believe its that much to stay in St. John! Wow, I would almost rather go to Hawaii again since I know we love it. My heart is definately in Hawaii, and theres so much exploring to do yet. I figured since St. Thomas and St. John probably have "all inclusives" that we would save a little money. Hawaii doesn't have these, so we were spending $100-$150 a day on meals/drinks alone!!!

I hope others chime in with some advice for us!

If you are bored you can check out my honeymoon gallery here

http://www.holdren.org/honeymoon/

I miss Hawaii!!!

Old Jan 9th, 2006, 06:23 AM

Hey TJ, fabulous photos! Such a cute couple. Just wondering if when you went to Hawaii last time you rented a condo or stayed at a hotel? You can work with a more reasonable budget if you get a condo with a kitchen, then you can just pick up cheap stuff for breakfast and lunch and splurge on nice dinners. Thats what we always do. Just an idea -

And I personally would visit Hawaii again, especially Kauai, its beautiful.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 06:29 AM
jcb

I’ve been to Kauai twice and St. John twice. I much prefer Kauai over St. John, but I’m glad that I’ve visited both islands. There are several threads comparing the two – don’t know if you’ve read them. From what I’ve seen, the condos on Kauai are nicer and cheaper than St. John. Staying in a condo and cooking your own meals saves a ton of money. For me, the difference in airfare is the largest expense – other than that, I think the two islands aren’t that far apart in costs.

St. John is a beautiful island – the water and beaches are fabulous. If you like to hang out on the beach, it’s a wonderful place to go. Personally, a 5 night stay in St. John is all I can handle, but I could easily spend 3 weeks in Kauai and still want more. However, many will say the exact opposite. Just depends on the person.

Either way, you won’t go wrong. FYI, the tropical vacations may not stop when you have kids. Last summer, we took our 16 month old to Kauai and had a wonderful time – just had to take it a bit slower.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 06:39 AM

You might want to post this on the Caribbean board as you will get a lot more responses from people that have been to both the Big Island & the USVI's.

St. John is a big favorite on the Caribbean board. A lot of people rent villas, and do that in part to save money on lodging and food expenditures. Look on vrbo.com, caribbeanway.com, and mclaughlinanderson.com for examples of villas.

You can spend a lot of money on St. John by staying at Caneel Bay, or save money and rent a villa for $1000-1400 for the week.

Old Jan 9th, 2006, 06:52 AM
jcb

I didn't pay attention to your time frame on my previous post. For a winter vacation, the north shore of Kauai may have more rain and the beaches may not be swimable, so keep that in mind when deciding.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 07:08 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The Virgin Islands are very very small islands compared to Hawaii, is one sure difference. I have been to both (St Thomas, St John, Oahu, and Maui) and enjoyed them all. but the Caribbean is completely different from Hawaiian islands, I really can't think of a similarity at all (ok both have an ocean and palm trees -LOL).

Since Hawaii is what you are dreaming of, why not go there but work on keeping costs down. It can be done.
Especially as far as eating and drinking... just hang with the local folks, shop at the grocery store, make your own fruity cocktails in your hotel room and drink them by the pool, borrow a BBQ grill, things like that...
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great repllies

Suze:

I guess my wife didnt like Hawaii as much as me. She went to Cancun once and she said the water seemed blueer(is that a word?). Anyways, the more I look at pictures of St. John/St. Thomas, the water does look more blue but I think that is because it is more shallow than Hawaii.

Hawaiian airfare from Wisconsin was expensive, so I figured we would save a lot right there. I will have to look into these villas. Gosh, I have so many questions!

What do you feel are the differences between Hawaii and The virgin Islands? Where did you feel "safer"? Have any of you been to an all inclusive on the Virgin Islands? I guess that is my biggest question, are all inclusives really that much cheaper since all the food/drink/tip is included?

The idea of renting a condo in Kauai and getting our food at a grocery store is a GREAT idea. I always thought condos were a lot more expensive than hotels though?
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Ok I'm deciding between St. John and Kauai..haha..what huge differences in location!

Do any of the Virgin Islands have rainforests? I guess thats one thing I LOVED about Maui was that we could go exploring in so many places. It was nice to leave the beach now and then and see the interiors of the island.

-T.J.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 07:34 AM
jcb

FYI - The following is a very good USVI forum.

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/usviforum.html
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 08:16 AM

One of the big differences to me is cultural. The culture, mythology, attitude, even appearance of the Hawaiian people - in all of its multiethnic forms - is very appealing to me. If I just wanted beautiful beaches perhaps I would feel differently. Also, the number of microclimates on every Hawaiian island is mind-boggling: From the mountains to the ocean in less than half a day! Not to mention rain forests and so many different types of sand.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 09:07 AM

I've been to the Virgin Islands numerous times and I've been to Maui and Kaui once (I'm going to the Virgin Islands again next week and I'm going back to Hawaii for two weeks this Summer). They are both great in their own way but much different.

Which island(s) would be more expensive obviously depends on several things, the first being where you live. I live in South Florida so we occasionally get very inexpensive air to the Virgin Islands. In fact, the only reason I'm going next week is an airfare special of $118 r.t. from Ft. Lauderdale. I know there are occasional specials to Hawaii from the West Coast, both for Air/Hotel packages and just air. For Hawaii I'm using frequent flyer miles for my air because airfare to Hawaii can be very expensive from the East coast.

St. Thomas I believe has some all inclusives but Lodging in St. John is very limited. I'm sure there are some smaller inns and B&B's but there are only a few larger resorts.

That said, I think that if you're in love with Hawaii (and who isn't) and you're going to compare it with the V.I.'s you might be dissapointed. Not because the V.I.'s (esp. St. John) are not beatiful, but because they are so completely different and it depends on what you are looking for. St. John especially is very quiet, but the beaches in St. John are picture perfect, gin-clear water, warm with clean,soft sand. It sounds like you may be happier with Hawaii if you can get a good deal.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 09:23 AM

The US virgin islands do not have rain forests, they are tiny tiny islands and fairly dry. There is just not much similarity in the geography or vegetation of the two places. Hawaii is much more lush.

That said, the water in the Caribbean IS more turquoise blue, your wife is absolutely correct.

If you want to stay cheaper go to the national park on St John at Cinnamon Bay where you can rent tents or cabins (this is still available, right? anyone know?).

Condos can be cheaper than hotels. Just depends what condo or what hotel you are talking about. Shopping at the grocery store and cooking for yourself some meals (not to mention breakfast and snacks and adult beverages!) is a huge money saver.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 09:24 AM

sorry that last paragraph was meant for Hawaii specifically
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 09:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Go to Hawaii. When you have little ones, it will be easier to take them (or leave them with Grandma) and go to the Virgin Islands. I don't know where you are from, but that is if you are from the eastern side of the US. The Caribbean will be a much shorter getaway.
We have been to Hawaii and are returning with our kids (early teens) to enjoy it differently this time!
The water is more aqua in the Caribbean is what your wife is talking about. Crime is in both places I am sure. St. John is not the sleepy little island it once was and is having it's own share of problems lately.(See the messages on Caribbean board).
Anyway we are headed to Oahu and Kauai and I have been to Oahu and Maui. I have read about the islands and Kauai sounds beautiful. Take the bigger trips now. You will be spending more time in places like Disney world and the beach after the little ones come. Nothing wrong with that, but Hawaii is Hawaii.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 10:22 AM

Hawaii need only be as expensive as you want it to be. IMHO, that's one of the biggest Myths about travel to Hawaii. Have been on several trips in the last few years and the only reason we're able to do that is because we do it on a budget, meaning:

-We almost always stay in a condo.
-We usually cook at least one meal at the condo every day.
-We pack lunches to take on beach days.
-We use the entertainment book for excursions and dining.

With each trip we usually plan one splurge meal on a nice sunset dinner (up to $100 for 2 inc. dessert & cocktails), and maybe one paid excursion or 1 or 2 extra nights at a fancy hotel.

We pretty much have it down to an exact science..lol Otherwise we'd never get to our beloved paradise
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 10:24 AM

oh forgot...and Kauai has lots and lots of affordable condo rentals. Best time is on North Shore in the Summer though.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 12:45 PM

Hi TJ,
My husband and I live in Florida and we too went on our honeymoon in Hawaii. We have been married 22 years and have been to Hawaii 13 times! We have also been in St John, St Thomas, St Martin, etc on other occasions. For us, there is NO comparison! Hawaii wins hands down. Yes, Hawaii is not cheap but neither are most any islands. Everything basically has to be shipped or flown in so prices are unfortunately higher.
Even though we live in FL and we love it, and it is a LONG way to Hawaii, I will go every chance I get!
We love Hawaii for so many reasons:the wonderful friendly people, the diversity of the islands, the magnificant mountains and beaches,the fantastic pacific rim food, the variety of things to do, the music and the accommodations! Did I miss anything?
I agree with the person who said that you can go less expensively by booking a condo, eating breakfast and or lunch at the condo and eating at local restaurants. Because we have traveled there so many times, we have found so many wonderful places to stay and visit and eat!
Our favorite islands are Maui, the Big Island, Molokai and Lanai (if we want to splurge for a nite or two). Yes, Kauai is beautiful and we have visited there but others are our favorites, especially the Big Island. With all the different climates, mountains, beaches, ranches, star gazing, Volcano, etc, in our opinion, this is a fantastic island.
The other islands are closer and nice to visit but nothing is better than Hawaii! If I can help you with any tips on places to stay or eat or things to do, just give me a shout.
LGay
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 01:10 PM

TJ: If neither of you have seen Kauai I'd highly recommend it over any of the Virgin Islands. Other responses in this thread are right on target. If you pick a relatively inexpensive condo rental on the north shore, and happen to hit good weather you'll kick yourselves for not going there instead of to Oahu and Maui on your initial honeymoon.

Hawaii, especially Kauai can be done on the cheap with a little planning and some compromises. And the only things the VI have going for them are fewer tourists and better beaches. Everything else (accomodation choices, food choices, activity choices etc) is far superior in Hawaii.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -