Pu'U Po'a or The Cliffs in Kauai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2004, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an opportunity to stay at Pu'u Po'a or The Cliffs in a condo unit. Both are 2b/2ba units. The one at The Cliffs is in building 9, close to the ocean. The one at Pu'u Po'a is a second floor unit. Going in March. Any opinions on either or both? How about the weather in March, we haven't been to Kauai before.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 06:55 AM

We've stayed at the Cliffs many times. Really enjoy the property. Bldg 9 is one of our favorites. The staff is very accomodating. Been to Kauai in both Feb and Apr and found the weather to be good, warm with a few showers during the day but that's typical of the north shore.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 09:19 AM

First post didn't register. Thought I would try again.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 09:40 AM

I have not stayed at either but go to Kauai almost yearly for the past 11 years. I will say that the puapoa is in the best location for me. I have almost stayed here a couple of time but I prefer a stand alone house.

Do a search I have read posts over the years that suggest some levels are better than others for view. I would be concern about heat if your apartment has a glass wall outlook and there is no airconditioning.

You should know that March is the rainy season on that side of the island. You very well might get lucky but you should know that poipu side is the preferred side for many people traveling that time of year.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 09:41 AM

ps the heat comment was intended for other times of the year when the sun is strong.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 05:59 PM

Stayed at the Cliffs in Feb a few years ago. Property was ok, not that great in my opinion. Units were nice, tropical decor and pretty good size. However, pool area was a big disappointment. I avoided it altogether. No thought into the pool surround, very plain and without attraction. Also not very large, but I realize this is just a condo complex and not a resort. I have stayed at many other condo complexes in Hawaii that had far better pool areas.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 07:32 PM

Aloha Ribar55,

We have stayed at Pu'u Po'a and loved it!
The units are among the largest you'll find for a condo. 900-1000 sq. ft. as I recall. Very quiet & clean w/ a spacious kitchen open to the living area & lanai. The master bedroom had it's own lanai (patio on the ground floor units).

The views are spectacular... set right on the edge of the cliff. Also, a fun hike down to it's private beach.

Whatever you choose, you'll love Kauai's lovely north shore. Don't worry about the weather. In Hawaii, showers are to be expected... and if they persist, get in your car & drive until you find the sun. It's never far
Besides, the rain brings with it the most lovely fragrances from all the tropical floral & fauna... not to mention the rainbows!

Much aloha!
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

carbogillgan
In what unit did you stay in building 9? The one we're looking at has a loft and a master. The views are good from the lanai?
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Pu'u Po'a appears to have a better location, closer to the beach and their own beach below the cliff. Anyone know how the units are numbered? (one-1st floor, two-2nd floor, etc.) How many floors?
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 02:16 PM

riba do an archive search. people write about the pua poa all the time
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Iza

We stayed at a unit at Puu Poa for a week in August of 2002. Lovely unit with a wonderful view. Lots of space, nice furniture. The pool area is plain but the view is to die for. Access to the Hideaways beach (small beach with great snorkeling, loved that beach).

Puu Poa has 4 floors. The first digit in the unit number indicates the floor, the remaining 2 digits indicate the unit, starting on the right hand side if you are facing the building with your back to the ocean (the lower the unit number the closer to the pool you are).

We stayed in Unit 310 and would highly recommend it. Check it out at www.princeville-vacations.com.