Portsmouth NH –need restaurant recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH is currently on 6-8 weeks business assignment in Portsmouth, NH. Any suggestions for good quality restaurant would be great.
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:21 PM

My daughter worked at the Blue Mermaid when she was a student at UNH and we ate there many times. I love the sweet potato fries.

http://www.bluemermaid.com/menu.asp
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:51 PM

We like Pesce Blue, Blue Mermaid, Jumpim Jay's Fish Cafe and Muddy River Smokehouse.
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:15 PM

Pesce Blue for Italian seafood. Black Trumpet for New American. Friendly Toast for breakfast. Gilley's for ultra cheap hot dogs and burgers in a diner/lunch car setting.

Not a fan of Muddy River Smokehouse.
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:32 AM

Lucky guy! Each summer we try to make a pilgrimage to the Ice House in Newcastle. It's a small family place with takeout. We always get lobster rolls! The drive out route 1B from Strawbery Banke area is lovely and will take him past the beautiful Wentworth-by-the-Sea hotel. I've seen Rosa's for Italian recommended on Chowhound. I ate there over 30 years ago when I was at UNH. Gilley's was a truck parked on the street back then.
Old May 21st, 2008, 05:11 AM

I live in Portsmouth so can gladly give some suggestions. I actually don't like some of the recommendations on here (Jumping Jay's, Muddy River). Here are my suggestions:

Thai food: Thai Paradise (it's not the one in the heart of the city but on the outskirts a bit - so GOOD!)

Pizza: Flatbread Pizza Company is the best and uses organic, local ingredients when possible; Gas Light Company is also pretty good; if you just want a slice, Joe's New York Pizza is awesome!

Brewery: Portsmouth Brewery's food is actually pretty good; it's improved greatly with a new chef. It's always a bit loud, but you can ask to be in the small room on the left of the restaurant. Also, try the sampler (beers)

Fine Dining: I just ate at the Black Trumpet Bistro, and I was pleasantly surprised. The Wellington Room has always been my favorite but it recently changed hands so I am not sure how it will be. But, the view and the ambiance is perfect. It's upstairs and often missed (above Harpoon Willy's)

Mexican: Drive over to Kittery, Maine and go to Loco Coco's Tacos

Ice Cream: Annabelle's

Indian: The only Indian restaurant, Shalimar, is usually really good.

Seafood: Ice House is good for cheap food, lobster rolls, and ice cream. But, for the New England lobster experience, go to Morrison's (family run decks on Badger Island - on way to Kittery, overlooking Portsmouth), or Chauncey Creek in Kittery Point

As for the other comments on here, Blue Mermaid always seems like a good idea, but the food is a bit greasy and always seems to disappoint me (i.e. overcooked lobster, or greasy fried foods). Avoid Poco's - the deck seems so enticing but it's downright awful. If you must sit on the deck outside, go to the Stockpot. It's not great, but usually it's okay.

Hope this helps!
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:15 PM

My votes are Dunaway's at Strawberry Banke and Jumpin Jay's Fish CAfe!
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your great recommendations!
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 10:42 AM

Here are my votes for the best restaurants in Portsmouth:

The Blue Mermaid
http://www.bluemermaid.com

The Wellington Room
http://www.thewellingtonroom.com

Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe
http://www.jumpinjays.com

The Friendly Toast (breakfast)

The Black Trumpet
http://www.blacktrumpetbistro.com

Old Ferry Landing (on the water plus one of the few places in town to get boiled lobster dinners)
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Eco2,
I agree that Thai in the heart of the city is OK, but nothing spectacular. Where exactly is Thai Paradise? By the way, I am that DH, I've been in Portsmouth and Pease area for 3 months now, and I think I've tried every restaurant. I need some variety!

+1 for Pesche Blue. Very tasty, good service, albeit a bit pricey (like most good places in Portsmouth).

+1 for Blue Mermaid. Been there several times for lunch and dinner. Always fresh and well-prepared food with a bit of Caribbean twist.

Jumping Jays... It was OK the first couple of times, but they don't seem to be changing their menu too often, and it's pretty limited so I stopped coming there. By the way, their New England clam choweder was probably worse than what you get form a Progresso can - very disappointing.

Black Trumpet - I tried it once, it was too fancy, too small portions, and too pricey at the same time for my taste.

Anyone has other ideas? Thanks in advance!

Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 12:04 PM

I went to Brazo a couple of weeks ago. It's on Pleasant St, sort of across from State Street Saloon.

Anyway, we just had cocktails but I thought the place was fabulous. Very cool vibe and on the night we were there they had a salsa band. I want to go back and try the food.
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 02:25 PM

Oh yes, I forgot about Brazo! I really like it there, too. And my new "favorite" place is Popovers.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 09:17 AM

I have relatives in the area, for breakfast or lunch I always try to visit the Ceres bakery. It's known around my house as "the feminist bakery" and has a great selection of pastries, breads and sandwiches.

http://www.ceresbakery.com

I also like Anneke Jans in Kittery for fine dining, but if you didn't like Black Trumpet it may not be your thing. It's kind of frou-frou, but I think has better portions and ambiance than the Black Trumpet.

http://www.annekejans.net/menu.html