Restauarnts - Portsmouth/Lower Maine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2008, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm staying in Portsmouth over July 4th weekend for 4 days. Any suggestions for good restaurants there or in the nearby towns in Maine? We're looking for great basic lobster joints, and finer restaurants too. We've been often, but not in a couple years.

Thanks.
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 06:26 AM

We haven't been in a couple of years but liked the lobster roll and onion rings at a small drive-in/eat-in type of place in Newcastle called the Ice House. Take Rt 1B (from Strawbery Banke) thru Newcastle. Great drive. Chowhound.com is great for local restaurant recommendations. Portsmouth is frequently a topic. We were disappointed in last visit to Newick's on Dover Pt road which used to be our favorite paper plate place on the water. Extensive seafood menu. A friend recommends Brown's and Markey's in Seabrook - more very casual, paper plate places. They're across the street from each other. A lot of people recommend Chauncy's in Kittery but we thought it was overpriced.
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 06:59 AM

Brown's and Markeys are both good lobster places a bit south in Seabrook. We prefer Browns.

Flatbread Pizza Company in Portsmouth has good all organic pizza.

Friendly Toast is good for breakfast.
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 09:11 AM

Just a quick note on Brown's and Markey's. Brown's is strictly BYOB (feel free to bring in a cooler), Markey's serves alcohol.
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 10:33 AM

Jumpin Jay's fish in Portsmouth is very good. Good Italian at Alberto's (or something like that).
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 04:30 PM

If you don't mind going a little further north, Lydia Shire has opened a wonderful new restaurant in York, Maine called Blue Sky. Also in York, you can eat in the rough at Foster's Clambake and enjoy lobster with all the fixings, including some hokey family entertainment.

In Portsmouth we like Jumpin Jays, Dunaway's, Flatbread Pizza, and Popovers for breakfast. [I love the Friendly Toast, but we always get sick when we eat there. ]

If you eat dinner at the Ice House, you may want to have your cocktail at the Wentworth the Sea before or after. Either sit out on their porch, or go to their Latitudes restaurant on the waterfront.

Hope this helps! Enjoy!

Old Jun 27th, 2008, 06:13 PM

Just back from Chauncey's. Very cute and very good. Total byob.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 08:44 AM

Fox's Lobster near York/Ogunquit in Maine, and Warren's in Kittery just over the NH border. Both have websites & you can check out the menus.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 08:46 AM

Almost forgot....after Fox's Lobster, take a walk along the shore to Nubble Light for BROWN'S Ice Cream. Ask for a taste of the "Indian Pudding" ice cream...a unique flavor that you won't find many places. You might end up ordering a whole scoop like we did.

York Harbor Inn is a nice spot for fine dining or just happy hour in the pub.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 10:24 AM

Actually, the same people that own Fox's own Brown's so I think they serve ice cream there too right on the Nub!
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 12:26 PM

We live here and enjoy all our city's restaurants, along with several up and down the Maine coast. In Portsmouth, try the Oar House Deck ($$) for a libation and some great food, while looking out over the Piscataqua. For a great lobster roll, try Latitudes ($$-$$$), which overlooks the Wentworth marina. In Ogunquit, MC Perkins Cove($$-$$$) is a must (owned by the gentlemen who have brought great success to Arrows, also in Ogunquit $$$$). There's also The Rosa ($-$$) for excellent family-style Italian. The best lobster in the rough is Chauncy Creek (byob, and a tablecoth) in Kittery. Save room for dessert of rich ice cream from the take-out window at the Ice House ($) cash only (bug spray is advisable). And Margaritas (in a non-descript mall) for very passable Mexican ($$). Skip Warrens and head for Petey's down by Wallis Sands ($) or Robert's ($$) for fried clams to die for. Enjoy.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 03:11 AM

Check out the Maine diner in Wells. Had a great lobster roll there the other day!
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 10:37 AM

Here are my votes for the best restaurants in Portsmouth:

The Blue Mermaid
http://www.bluemermaid.com

The Wellington Room
http://www.thewellingtonroom.com

Jumpin Jays Fish Cafe
http://www.jumpinjays.com

The Friendly Toast (breakfast)

The Black Trumpet
http://www.blacktrumpetbistro.com

Old Ferry Landing (on the water plus one of the few places in town to get boiled lobster dinners)

In Rye I'd recommend Peteys Seafood, they have great lobster dinners.

In Kittery, ME Anneke Jans http://www.annekejans.net

In York: Blue Sky On York Beach http://www.blueskyonyorkbeach.com

Bintliffs in Ogunquit, ME (has an amazing lobster benedict on the weekends)