Looking for Lobster Rolls in Maine

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Specifically would like recommendations for places in Portland, ME with great Lobster Rolls. We will also be in the Five Islands area and recommendations there would be appreciated too. Know about Reds and Five Island Lobster Pound -- where else has great lobster rolls? Thanks!
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May I jump in here to ask abt Lobster Pounds also. We're as interested in having steamed lobster when we're in Maine next month as those wonderful lobster rolls. I know that there are many many "pounds." Presumably (as with restaurants in general) some are better than others. Would love recommendations for the best. Thanks from me too!
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:33 AM

This question is debated on chowhound.com go to the New England Board. We had a most memorable lobster rolls and fries at Just Barb's in Stockton/Rt 1 but that's up near Ellsworth. We skipped Red's even though we were staying in Wiscasset. Five Islands was pretty good, very nice scenery but I think I liked Este's in South Harpswell better (east of Bath/Brunswick but not same point as Five Island). There was a huge crowd at Bailey's so we opted to keep hunting. Este's is on the water, large menu but very casual. Eat indoors or out. It was a lovely drive thru a rural area. Can't remember whether we had a lobster roll or fried clams at the Sea Basket/Rt 1 Wiscasset. There's a scarecity of lobster right now, I hate to think what the price of lobster rolls is going to be this summer.
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chauncey Creek near York, and foxslobster near Ogunquit in Southern Maine.
Two Lights Lobster Shack on Cape Elizabether (Maine crab roll is even better than the lobster roll imo)....Waterman's Lobster in Thomaston. Even McDonald's up there has lobster rolls!
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.travelandleisure.com/arti...-maine/?page=2

Old May 9th, 2007, 05:22 PM

Hi, I posted my previous lobster roll post for you. Enjoy.

We just came back from a four night trip to the Portland area. We ate at the following restaurants - The first night at the Clam Shack at Two Lights. The view is of the crashing water hitting the rocks. The lobster roll was okay (the lobster didn't have any sweetness to it); the clam chowder was good; the lobster chowder was very good; the fried shrimp was also good. The coleslaw was exceptional. I tried to figure out what was in it and decided it was apple juice. Someone told me it is crushed pineapple. After thinking about it, I think she is right. The second night we ate at Baylees. Oh my goodness. The lobster roll was very, very good. Cold lobster meat on a toasted roll with lemon. The onion rings were thick and juicy and I couldn't stop until I ate them all. My husband got the clam chowder and the deep fried scallops along with his own plate of onion rings. We ate it all. We then walked next door to the ice cream place and got cones. Needless to say, I couldn't sleep because I was so full I though I was going to die. The third night we ate at Harasseekets (sp) at Freeport. Again, you have a view of the water. We both got the lobster dinners with lobster chowder. The chowder had big chunks of lobster in it. It was delicious. We also got the blueberry pie for dessert. Again excellant. The fourth day we went into Portland. The Old Port area has lots of shops and boat rides around the bay or out to see seals and eagles. We did the duckie ride and then did a boat ride around the bay. The boat ride was really good with loads of information about the area. In between the duckie ride and the boat ride, we went to Loster Company to eat. Once again, we ate lobster rolls. Well, they were the best of any we ate. Huge chunks of lobster on toasted rolls with butter and lemon. That night we ate at the Black Point Inn. It was the best of the best. The clam chowder was so good that I would have licked the bowl if I had been home. The crab cakes had a nice kick to them. I got the lobster dinner and my husband got the fried lobster dinner. Both were very good. The wine list was extensive and the prices were reasonable. The next day we got lobster rolls at Amatos. Save your money; they were made with shredded lobster and tons of mayonnaise. And finally we got lobster rolls at the Portland airport. Again save your money. The lobster had no taste. It was like eating cardboard. All in all, it was a great short vacation and we still aren't sick of lobster.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, dfrostnh,lippincottfarm & clarkgriswold. Looks like there are many to check out. FYI in the T&L article, it mentions Lisa's in Georgetown. As of last year Lisa's is no more.
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:13 AM

Terrific stuff-- thanks so much! (I hear that lobster is very scarce now. I do hope we won't be disappointed during our Maine trip May 26-June 2. During our visit some years ago, we gorged several times a day on the king of beasts. We live in Maryland, by the way, and much as we love crabs- which are also very scarce-- we love lobster more.)
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:18 AM

Even McDonald's when we were there.
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:45 AM

I am looking for lobster rolls in St. Louis!!!

This thread needs to fall out of the top 50!! Every time I see it my mouth waters!!!
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:52 AM

Please describe a lobster roll to me. I keep envisioning something like an egg roll filled with lobster salad, but I hope that's not right.
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

No, no, nothing like an egg roll! They are sandwiches made with big chunks of delicious lobster--some places use some melted butter and others use mayonnaise. The roll is a grilled hot dog bun or one similar that opens on the top. Prepartion seems to vary with some places adding lettuce, celery and or scallions. I gather in the NE there are heated debates as to what ingredients go in a lobster roll. Me--i love them all!
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:29 AM

What a disappointment ... I hadn't heard about Lisa's and was ready to jump in the car. I agree Chauncey Creek is a great place but hope people will note on the 10 best website that it is much more expensive than some of the other places. I'm not surprised Waterman's is on the list. It's our favorite. They don't serve much besides lobster but they have pie!!! The perfect Maine vacation is searching for the best lobster/lobster roll and when you're tired of lobster, switching off to fried clams.
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:53 PM

I like the lobsters at Richardson's wharf south of Boothbay. The lobster roll at the Clam Shack in Kennebunkport is good, but if I remember correctly it is served on a round roll. They do have my favorite clam roll. I haven't been there in years, but Nunan's and the little lobster shack out on Cape Porpoise used to have good lobster rolls although the ones at the Cape Porpoise lobster shack had celery salt or something in them.