Portland, Oregon Downtown Hotels

May 15th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Portland, Oregon Downtown Hotels

Has anyone stayed at the Avalon Hotel or the Hotel Monaco in Portland? What did you think?
Thanks.
May 16th, 2007, 12:52 AM

Go to Tripadvisor.com and, under "search", put in the names of the hotels. You should find reviews of the hotels from guests that have stayed there.
May 16th, 2007, 05:21 AM

The Monaco (formerly 5th Avenue Suites) is quite popular on this board.
May 16th, 2007, 05:32 AM
mms

Even though we live here, we have stayed at the Monaco several times over the last couple years. Our last stay was in January, right as the hotel was changing the name. The location is great for walking all over, the rooms are very nice and well appointed (and quite large), the service is great, and they have an underground valet which is nice if it is rainy outside. The adjacent restaurant, the Red Star Tavern, is good too.

May 16th, 2007, 06:51 AM

We stayed there often when it was 5th Avenue Suites. It's a good place--usually #1 among travelers.
May 16th, 2007, 02:35 PM

Well, I will throw in that I did not care for the remodeling (at least in the lobby) since the change from 5th Ave to Monaco. (I didn't see a room.) Too loud, too gaudy, whatever. My friend, on the other hand (who worked at the sister property Vintage Plaza for a few years) really liked it. Different strokes...
May 16th, 2007, 03:04 PM

The 5th Avenue Suites in the NorthWest section is a great recommendation.

Also, the Kennedy School in N.E. Portland is reasonable and a very popular place with the locals.

May 16th, 2007, 08:23 PM

Hi nanabee, the 5th Avenue Suites is now the Hotel Monaco. The Kimpton Group "upgraded" this hotel.
May 17th, 2007, 07:16 AM

I thought they "rebranded" it.
May 17th, 2007, 10:09 AM

They definitely remodeled when they switched names. Upgrade or downgrade (or no change in grade), it was somewhat more than a name change.
May 17th, 2007, 10:41 AM

I've stayed at both, several times at the Monaco and twice at Hotel Avalon.

I prefer the Monaco.

Both hotels have similar sized rooms and very good beds. Room lighting is bad at Avalon, and the TVs are in a funny position.

There are river view rooms at Avalon, but mostly the view is blocked by the trees and the balcony is kind of weird. Your neighbors nearly share it with you. At the Monaco, some rooms have a mountain view, but the rooms, not the view will be your focus.

Avalon is somewhat isolated, and in March their restaurant was closed for renovations. All room service food arrived cold.

Some businesses near the Avalon, but more of the strip mall variety. We stayed there because of its proximity to our daughter's college. The staff is very nice and friendly, but rather inept. They lost some stuff they had stored in a refer, the bill was wrong (both times) room service slow, valet sometimes MIA when we were standing out in the cold rain. They even offered us a bottle of wine as an apology for some mistakes, then never sent it up to the room. I had to go ask for it later when we had a friend stop by to share the bottle! But, they were always very sweet and friendly and the room was comfortable - except for the lousy lighting.

The Monaco staff are much more professional, and the room service food is really good. You are in the heart of downtown, so lots to do even if you just have a half hour to kill. Rooms are very cushy and have all just been re-done to go along with the name change. Parking is inside, which is nice in cold weather. Prices are quite a bit higher now than Avalon.

I did have a problem on Easter with the Red STar tavern brunch (the Monaco's on-site restaurant). I wrote both the Red STar and Monaco managers and got no response from either one....

Whichever you choose, book it through www.pova.com. It is a free booking service, you pay directly to the hotel at check-out, and rates includes parking and breakfast ("the Big Deal").
Many of the Portland hotels participate.

Jun 3rd, 2007, 08:05 PM

Just back from a week at the Monaco. We liked it quite well. Big bathroom and great toiletries. Bed was wonderful. Room was small, but adequate and quiet. We got a good deal on hotels.com and I have no reservations about recommending the place. Note, however, that the valet parking is expensive at $27 a day. They were quick with the car, however.