1 Day in Portland - Hotels? Sights?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I arrive in Portland late on Thur, Sept 16 and will spend one day, Friday, visiting before leaving for destinations in Washington.

Any suggestions for a hotel? I will have a car.

What highlights would anyone suggest for a one-day tour to catch the flavor of the city?
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 05:26 PM

You can get a great deal on a hotel but using Priceline. Check www.biddingfortravel.com to see what hotels other have gotten and for what price.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 05:30 PM

My favorite is the Riverplace Hotel, www.riverplacehotel.com 5th Ave. Suites has received rave reviews here, also.

I would walk the waterfront, visit the rose garden, Japanese gardens and Chinese Classical gardens, stroll the Pearl District and have dinner at the Bluehour.

Also, Pioneer Place for shopping. Others will have more ideas! I hope you enjoy Portland and bring a raincoat, just in case. ***kim***
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 06:37 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
For the same price as the Residence Inn/Riverplace, you can stay at the Fifth Avenue Suites, an excellent Kimpton property, and listed as one of the best hotels in the country in the readers poll in Travel & Leisure magazine. Nice place, infinitely better located than the Riverplace hotels.

Will you have a car? If so, the Columbia Gorge/Mt Hood loop. Other cities have nice rose gardens and shopping districts; only Portland has this national treasure.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 06:38 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry, two similar posts at the top. The other one was talking about the RI River Place.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 07:06 PM

It just depends of you're a downtown person or a water view person. I wouldn't stay at the Marriott for the water views, but the Riverplace Hotel is luxurious and on the riverfront.

As much as I love to shop and be downtown, it's nice to retreat back to the hotel by the water. It's especially pretty at night with all the lights and boats on the river. ***kim***