Search

Portland/McMenamins

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portland/McMenamins

KIm or anyone else who knows the area well. My husband and I will have only most of one day and a few hours of the next to explore the Portland area.Thought the McMenamins Kennedy School and the Edgefield place sounded intriguing and within our price range. Would you recommend one over the other or something else in the price range given our time constraints. Also,one or two "must do's". Will then be going to Cannon Beach area for three days (in June). anyone have suggestion on coccomodations same price range ($100/per give or take) Thanks.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 05:12 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
In June definitely the Edgefield. One thing to note is that it's only around 10 min. from Portland airport, so convenient for coming/going days. As for must dos, the Columbia Gorge "historic" highway, convenient from the Edgefield.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 05:24 PM

Crazy! I'm watching $40 a Day on Food network and she is in Portland at the Edgefield. Looks fantastic!

http://www.mcmenamins.com/Edge/
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 06:17 PM

Hi Bethie!! This is in our travel plans also for our Spring trip. I can't wait to see it. Also in the Portland area I would recommend the Rose Gardens/Japanese Gardens, Pioneer Place to shop, the Saturday Market and the Zoo is one of the best in the country.

Someone else could help you on the CB lodging as we have a home in Astoria and are in the process of renovating a beach cottage in Seaside for future vacation rental property. You will love this whole area and June will be very nice weather-wise. We will also be in Portland in June. Want some recommends on places to eat there and in the CB/Seaside/Astoria area? Have a great trip! Don't miss Ecola State Park and Indian Beach while in CB. It's just gorgeous! ***kim***
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 10:21 PM

If you want to save money on the hotel and spend it for shopping (no sales tax in Oregon), or good meals, use Priceline. I got the Hilton for $35 a night.
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 10:27 PM

Gotta disagree with Kimamom here. I don't think Pioneer Place will impress anyone who has a decent mall in their city, so if you have only a short time I would definitely skip it. Saturday Market is interesting but not worth a big time investment - it's basically a lot of crafts and regional stuff. I must admit, the last few times I have been there I breezed through in about 15 minutes tops - maybe because I see the same stuff year after year. But maybe if it's new to you you might enjoy it.

No, the Portland Zoo is not the best in the country. It's a good zoo for a city Portland's size, but I don't think it will impress anyone who has been to, say, the San Diego Zoo.

If you have bad weather (rain very possible in June) and you love books, spend an hour or two at Powells Books, an amazing book store that takes up an entire city block (they give you a map of the store when you enter). Powells also has a good city tour map (free) with a self-guided walking tour of downtown. I'd also suggest wandering around NW Portland, up NW 23rd Ave, to get a feel for the Portland neighborhoods (some interesting shops up there too). The Edgefield is a good choice, too, even though it is very far from the center of Portland but as Gardyloo says it is on the way to the Gorge anyway, which is a must-see.

I would try to see Washington Park in Portland, though the International Rose Test Garden may not yet be in full bloom. (When will you be here in June? The Rose Festival happens the 1st week, which, if you are here that week, will make the city crowded but lively down by the river). The Japanese Garden is in the same park - maybe worth a look if you are there but not a must-see. A short drive from Washington Park is Pittock Mansion, which, even if you don't go inside for a tour gives you a great view down on the city.

If you happen to like cool neighborhoods, Portland has several interesting ones with cool old houses. Try Ladd's Addition in SE Portland and Laurelhurst or Irvington for cool Portland neighborhoods with neat houses. Worth driving around and exploring for sure.

Andrew
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 10:12 AM

Have to disagree with Andrew!! We have stayed in Portland many times in June and have had excellent weather. WE stay at the River Place Hotel which is excellent. We ride our bikes to the Saturday Market (definitely worth the time) right from the hotel. Also, the zoo is wonderful. I live in CA and have been to the SD Zoo many times but just prefer the Portland one. (Must be all the beautiful greenery that surrounds it.)

If you like TRUE Victorian homes, you must visit the quant, charming town of Astoria. www.astoriaoregon.com Also the Maritme Museum, Fort Clatsop, the Flavel House, and the Astor Column. It would be an easy day trip over from Portland. We have made it in less than an hour and a half. Great places to eat there, also!! Enjoy Oregon!! ***kim*** Some time spent in Seaside would also be very nice. Beautiful beach, prom, fun shopping, etc. It is getting very touristy tho, especially in the summer months.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input everyone. We made reservations in Edgefield. Now have a much greater idea of what we will do around Portland.Kim: Re Cannon Beach/Seaside area.Should we decide to stay at seaside (3 nights) instead of Cannon Beach, can you (or anyone out there) recommend same price range places there. Am having trouble with finding acceptable lodging at Cannon for under $200/night. would like to stay under that. Thanks again for taking the time here. Also, Yes. would love suggestions on places to eat in Portland and Seaside/Cannon/Astoria. Beth
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 02:07 PM

Kimamom, I did not say it *would* be raining in June in Portland, only that after 10 1/2 year living in Portland, I have seen (and complained about) many rainy June days here. I have also seen 55 degrees and sunny in January, so you never know. In fact, any time of the year visiting Portland, you are best advised to have a "rain plan." August and September are your best bets for lack of rain in Portland.

Powells for many is worth a long visit even if the weather is perfect, but if it's rainy you won't feel guilty spending the day there.

Andrew
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 03:58 PM

Bethie, give us an idea of what kinds of restaurants you like (cheap, expensive, type of food, etc.) and we can help you with suggestions.

One restaurant suggestion: Jake's Famous Crawfish (downtown), which is a well-known place often recommended to Portland visitors. For a drink before or after, try the Portland City Grill on the 30th floor of the US Bancorp tower - expensive place to have dinner, so just have a drink and you can still take in the amazing view almost 360 degrees around.

Cannon Beach vs. Seaside: keep in mind they are not far apart - an easy drive between them on Highway 101. I think I would make a reservation at a decent place in Seaside now, a reservation you can cancel last-minute, and keep looking for a place in Cannon Beach. Try emailing a couple of the hotels and see if they offer any specials.

Andrew
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 06:52 PM

Yes, Jake's is very good. I love their crawfish. We also enjoyed The Harborside and the Newport Bay located down on the waterfront.

Well, in Seaside I know they recently built a huge hotel complex but I honestly do not know the name. It looks very nice. If you want a Bed & Breakfast, try the Gilbert Inn. We stayed there and really enjoyed it. They also have a restaurant called Lil' Bayou if you like cajun food.

Another B&B is the Seaside Inn, located directly on the prom. www.theseasideinn.com Their theme rooms look really fun and the location can't be beat. I would also check out the Shilo Inn Oceanfront hotel. Very nice, right on the prom with an indoor swimming pool and jacuzzi. My kids loved this place when they were younger.

In CB, check out the Inn @ Cannon Beach to see if it meets your criteria. Mo's is very good for seafood in CB with beautiful views of Haystack Rock. In Astoria we adore the Silver Salmon Grille, www.silversalmongrille and also just recently tried Fulio's in downtown Astoria. It's worth a trip over just to eat at these places.

For lunch our favorites are the Cannery Cafe, located right on the Columbia River and the Ship Inn also very famous for their fish and chips.

If you feel ambitious, go over the Astoria-Megler bridge ( about a ten minute drive from Astoria) to the quaint town of Seaview, WA and dine at the four-star restaurant in the Shelburne Inn called the Shoalwater. www.shoalwater.com Their oysters are so fresh and delicious, as there is an oyster farm a few miles up the coast from there. Long Beach, WA is also very fun to explore and not too far away from the CB/Seaside/Astoria area.

In Astoria, I would recommend the newly-built Hotel Elliott for lodging. www.hotelelliott.com If you are there on a Sunday, you must visit the Sunday Market, like the Portland Market but smaller. The flowers were comprable to the ones we saw in Seattle at the Pike's Place Market. Just gorgeous!! ***kim***
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 08:08 PM

FYI, Edgefield is a little more than 10 min from downtown. Its in Troutdale which, depending on traffic, can take 1/2 hr to get downtown. You'll be staying in an outer-suburb of Portland.

As far as the coast - Seaside = beach volleyball, corn dogs, t-shirts. Cannon Beach = art museums, clam chowder and strolls along the beach.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 02:51 PM

Edgefield is much further out and I probably would have recommended staying closer to downtown but it should be fine. Haven't been to Edgefield yet but I love their other properties. You'll have a nice stay there.

It is very possible to have rain in Portland in June. As Andrew said, always have a rain plan and jacket close.

I think the Saturday Market is fun, but I go only about once a year. I actually like it best for people watching. I also recommend a visit to the Japanese Garden - it is world renown and the azaleas might be in bloom.

B&Bs might be cheaper in Cannon Beach. CB is fairly expensive. As mentioned I would probably stay in Seaside and just drive to Cannon Beach.

Enjoy!