Portland trip - 1st time - 4 days

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a very last minute trip to Portland over the weekend of the 4th. Using Southwest tickets to get someplace cooler than Vegas. Could you pass on some ideas of activities for non-outdoorsy, 40-somethings? We'll have a car, not too strict of a budget. We like shopping and poking around the areas. I'm really interested in getting out to the coast and checking out the beaches and coastal charm. We are really into nice, local (non chain) restaurants, high ticket one night maybe.

Any suggestions on hotels/locations, itineraries, restaurants, etc. would be so appreciated. We generally go to more family type hotels that include breakfast, but since we don't have the kids this weekend...

Also, I keep reading about people using Priceline. I've never done it. Is it a really good option, or do you end up stuck with a place that you really don't want?
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 08:35 AM

Hi,

Since you are going from Vegas for a short trip, I assume you mean Portland, Oregon?

For us East Coasters, when you say Portland, we think you are going to Maine.

I haven't been to Oregon, but for priceline advice, go to www.biddingfortravel and learn all about zones and what you should bid etc.

I have used priceline for several cities, and haven't been disappointed yet. But do your research first.

Karen
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 08:45 AM

skamania lodge is about 1 hour from the airport, east of portland and is great--right on the river--

there is a lodge at mt. hood that is very nice. again very close to portland.

in portland that japanese gardens in the park are fantastic.

i reallly enjoyed ft clapsup (sp?) directly west of portland on the coast-- where lewis and clark wintered
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 09:02 AM

For really nice rooms, I recommend the Fifth Avenue Suites, but for fun, you might consider McMinniman's (sp?) kennedy school or Edgefield. Both have lovely clean rooms, but the draw is that they are in restored buildings and have lots of activities...free movies in the "gym", a wine bar, microwbrew, etc. These places fill up fast over holidays, so you should check quickly.
Shopping in Portland is wonderful..Out on SE hawthorne and 35th is a whole area of funky stores... on Nw 23 are more upscale and funky stores, there are antique & junque stores in Sellwood, and of course the big box places in Jantzen beach. No sales tax in Oregon makes it fun!
There are so many wonderful, non chain places to eat in Portland. Cafe Mingo, Montage, Miso hapi, Paleys, Noble Rot, Typhoon, Bluehour, Jakes Seafood... type in a text search for Portland food and you'll be overwhelmed with suggestions!
If you are only going for a weekend, it might be hard to hit the coast AND Portland. If you want to be on the coast, try typing in Astoria or Cannon Beach to pull up coast oriented recommendations!
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 09:04 AM

Aword about going to Astoria --Ft. Clatsop area. This will be very crowded and the traffic will be bad. This whole area is having June to Sept-. Lewis and Clark Festival and the 4th is the busiest time.
Stick to Portland
Sat--big Farmer's Mkt and crafts and food under the Burnside bridge..
Powell's bookstore--biggest collection of books in US (at least it was a few years ago)
I would try Priceline- IMO any hotel in the "downtown" area with a 3 or 4 star rating would be good.
Just remember no cancellations allowded. BE SURE to check out "bidding for travel "site.
Do a "search"on this site for Portland OR. restaurants-- Iam sure you will get more info than you wanted.
Be aware it is not as hot as Vegas however it still has temps 80s-90s but realy cools down at night..
Good luck
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 09:15 AM

You cannot go wrong with a 4* Priceline bid in the "Downtown" area. I wouldn't bother including 3* unless you can't get a 4* for some reason. Should be doable for less than $65/night. Parking will cost extra, of course.

The coast is pretty far - would be a long day trip. The Columbia Gorge is closer and offers great views that don't require any hiking.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 09:29 AM

I agree with the recommendation to stay in Portland; you would probably not find any accommodations on the coast that weekend. But it's only a 1.5 hour drive, so make it a day trip. I suggest Cannon Beach, a cutesy, artsy beach town with several nice restaurant options.

You've received good restaurant recommendations for Portland, and there are many more. As locals, one of my wife and my favorite activities is to just walk around the Pearl District or NW 21st and 23rd, looking for places (restaurants) that look interesting. We are rarely disappointed in the places we choose to eat.

For activities, how about:
1-day trip to the coast, 1-day Columbia Gorge-Hood River-Mt.Hood loop, 1-day poking around Portland (Pearl, NW, Japanese & Chinese Gardens, etc.), then spend the last day returning to what you liked best. Or maybe do some wine tasting at the countless wineries 1-2 hours SW of the City.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for all your fine suggestions. I am really looking forward to visiting someplace new, particularly an area that people seem to feel so strongly about.

Beachbum - thanks for spelling it all out for me. I think I will follow your plan.

Wish me luck!

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:07 AM

is the Benson Hotel still a good place to stay in Portland?
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:42 AM

By the way, Travlhappy, if you're here over the 4th, Fort Vancouver, just across the Columbia River, supposedly has the largest fireworks show west of the Missouri River (or is it the Mississippi?.... or maybe the Deschutes?). Anyway, if you're willing to battle the crowds and traffic, it is a good show.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 11:31 AM

It is an awesome show, and visible from the Oregon side at that hotel that used to be the Red Lion Inn. (I forget who bought it) It's 45 minutes of "grand finale" with great music broadcast over the radio. It beats any show in Seattle, I can tell you that much for sure! I do believe it's the best west of the Mississippi River, as advertised.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 01:30 PM

I've been on the Oregon Coast for almost two weeks now. We have taken several day trips to Portland and are headed over there this afternoon for shopping and dinner.

We loved Paley's Place, it's a not miss, IMO. Tonight we are trying Huber's, a true Portland classic with our group of six. Also, hitting the shops at Pioneer Place.

Our favorite place to stay is the RiverPlace Hotel, I will be checking out their renovatons today, hopefully.

In Astoria, www.oldoregon.com the Hotel Elliott is the new luxury boutique place. www.hotel elliott.com We have dined at The Silver Salmon Grille, The Ship Inn, Schooner's-twice, and Fulio's. Everything excellent.

We did not like the Baked Alaska and left after our appetizers. It's gorgeous here right now, nice and cool.

In Seaside, we loved Kalypso for dinner. I posted a report on chowhound.com We spend Father's Day on the beach, it was wonderful. Any specific questons, just ask.

We also really enjoyed the Sanctuary restaurant in Chinook, WA. It's definitely worth the beautiful drive over the bridge for dinner. Will post a report later on our experience there. Very memorable!! ***kim***
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:38 PM

We live in the area, and you have gotten some great advice Just this morning we went to the Rose Gardens and then wandered around the NW 23rd area...it is a nice area to shop, eat and just sort of relax. The Rose Garden area is great...so much to do in a small area...the Japanese Gardens are right there as well as Hoyt Arboretum and the zoo.

Yes, the Ft. Vancouver fireworks show is great, but the traffic is a nightmare. The show on the water in Portland is not too bad, so if you aren't in the mood for Vancouver you can hang out on the waterfront and still enjoy.

The McMenamins places are quite unique and we have always enjoyed them. They have about 8-10 locations. You could stay at the McMinnville location and then do a tour of our winery areas. It is not that far from downtown Portland...about an hour max.

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 07:56 AM

Hi MMS! We were at the rose gardens on Sat. Aren't they beautiful right now? The views of Mt. Hood in the background were just gorgeous. It's a beautiful time to visit Portland right now.

Looks like the we may actually get some rain here in Astoria today, woke up to the mist! My son's GF is waiting for the rain, she bought a yellow and white striped umbrella for her trip and hasn't been able to use it yet! ***kim***
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 08:13 AM

Travlhappy, go to the top of the forums and search for "Portland." You'll find tons of older posts recommending things to do in Portland.

Andrew
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 08:30 AM

4th of July weekend also has the Waterfront Blues Festival which is pretty fun.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 09:14 AM

Kim...an umbrella? lol! She will definitely look like a tourist! j/k! Grew up in OR and WA and never use them. The roses were beautiful yesterday...it rained the night before and everything was still wet. We have spent all week in downtown doing various things as our son has football camp at PSU this week. This is the only day i came back home during it. Too much to do at home instead of playing each day
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 11:04 AM

Definately go to Cannon Beach if you have time. Beautiful drive from Portland. Great clam chowder at Moe's,right on the beach. You can walk to Haystack Rock at low tide. Have fun.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 08:41 AM

I remember those football camp days! My son played for nine years before an injury and two surgeries knocked him out of the game.

We're headed over to Seaside today to go to the beach, shop and rent some bikes and ride the prom.

We had a very nice meal at Schooner's Bistro last night and then I took a tour of the Hotel Elliott in Astoria. It's gorgeous, a true luxury hotel complete with heated marble floors. www.hotelelliott.com

I even gave some tourists advice on where to eat in town. It would be fun to be a concierge at the hotel. ***kim***