Portland for three days in Aug.

Jul 13th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Portland for three days in Aug.

I have looked at postings and it seems many are to surrounding areas. There is nothing wrong with that,but what are the must see and do things in the city itself? This could include museums, parks, interesting tours. We also like good, local restuarants, that are not overpriced. We have never been to Portland so don't know what to expect. Any help would be appreciated.
Jul 13th, 2008, 09:42 AM

That would be Portland Maine or Portland Oregon?
Jul 13th, 2008, 08:36 PM

Washington Park, the Pittock Mansion, Chinese Classical Gardens are all nice attractions in Portland, spend some time walking around the Nob Hill area, quaint boutiques and there is Paley's Place and Wildwood here for meals. The waterfront and Tom McCall Park also nice places to visit in Portland. There is a tram there also that tourists have been enjoying and it's a great place to take photos from what I've been reading lately.

You may want to venture over to Cannon Beach/Seaside area, it is about a 90 minute drive from Portland. Have fun! ***kim***
Jul 14th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

I thought it said Oregon. Sorry if this wasn't clear.
Jul 14th, 2008, 07:47 AM
mms

August is usually a good bet as far as weather, so I would try to spend as much time outside. That said, if we get a hot spell, you might want an idea of some places to duck inside to cool off. The Portland Art Museum (PAM) is very good and right in the heart of downtown. OMSI is a good museum, and you can take a tour of a submarine there.

We have some fantastic gardens. The Rose Garden and Japanese Gardens are my favorite. The zoo is up by there as well, as is the Forestry Center. These are all in the NW part of town, which has some great shopping and restaurants. The Chinese Classical Gardens are in the Pearl District and are nice, and don't take long to visit.

Near PAM is Southpark which is a very good seafood restaurant. Other good local restaurants are Higgins, Fenouil, Everett St. Bistro, Mothers, Red Star Tavern. I realize as I write this that I could list a whole bunch, lol! But what do you like? There are some great brewpubs here as well.
Jul 14th, 2008, 07:55 AM

I have done the Epicurian Walking Tour of Portland - very fun- would give you an idea of the downtown/Pearl district.
They take you to a variety of bakeries, breweries, restaurants

http://www.portlandwalkingtours.com/..._excursion.php
Jul 14th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the information. The museums and gardens sound great. MMS asked about the type of food. I should have included that information plus one other request, places that are not too LOUD! Maybe it is my age,but in the L.A. area the restuarants don't seem to want you to be able to carry on a conversation. Sorry for the rant.
As far as types of restuaraunts, we like local places since we can go to a CPK at home. Sorry to say that Thai and Indian foods are not favorites, but almost everything else is great. Thanks to everyone for the help.
Jul 14th, 2008, 11:36 AM

If you area bookworm like me, you have to vist powell's book store, it is a Mecca.
Jul 14th, 2008, 01:10 PM
mp

If you are there for a weekend, I cannot recommend the Saturday Portland Farmers market at Portland State University too highly - it's is wonderful. We were there August and had a GREAT time - I've been to lots of markets, in San francisco, NYC, France and Italy, and Portlands' is is wonderful. But it's frustrating to see all this great produce and not be able to go home and cook! Lots of places sell food though, so it's fun to buy and snack.

Here's a link:
http://www.portlandfarmersmarket.org/

We had terrific meals at Le Pigeon and Toro Bravo - but it was NEVER quiet. We had nice quiet dinner at 23 Hoyt - good food but it was pretty early around 5:30 or 6:00.
have fun, we really liked Portland.
Jul 14th, 2008, 01:18 PM

My favorite place is Chinese gardens. Beautiful! Try to get on one of their free docent tours (they are still free, right?)

Saturday market, go there, not to buy anything, just for fun and people-watching. At any age

MMS, who is not related to BeachBum, thanks for restaurants, I'll look them up. Steffek, I'll be there in September.
Jul 14th, 2008, 01:19 PM
mms

Yes, Powell's is a must.

The farmers market also has smaller versions on Wednesdays and Thursdays at different locations (the Wed. one is just a few blocks down). The market is very good!

There is also the Saturday Market which is Sat. and Sun. and is under the Burnside Bridge. All sorts of unique vendors there, and some food options.

Jul 14th, 2008, 01:22 PM
mms

Faina--LOL!

Another very good restaurant that is not loud is Serratto, up in the NW part of town. Might be a good place for a GTG as well Faina.
Jul 16th, 2008, 07:14 AM

We just went up there for a wedding and loved it. Did all the gardens as mentioned as well as Saturday Market and Powell's. Had two fantastic meals on the patio at Veritable Quandry (and it was fairly quiet - I know what you mean about some of the restaurants in LA)! Also ate at 23 Hoyt, but liked VQ better. Our meal with 2 glasses of wine each, coffee, salad, entree/main and dessert was about $125.00. We thought the quality of the food was good value for the price. I had an amazing sturgeon with Yukon Gold potatoes, spinach, mushrooms, and caperberry buerre blanc sauce. Dessert was chocolate souffle for him and lemon tart for me. We liked it so much we took our family back 2 nights later.

Portland is a great place to visit - walkable, nice people, cool weather (no rain while we were there!

Some family also took a boat ride on the Columbia Gorge. We rented a car and drove up there. If you have a car, that's an option too.
Jul 16th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the information. Iwan2go(great name) is the ride on the river leisurely or exciting? kimamom you mentioned Cannon Beach. Is there stuff to see along the way?
Jul 16th, 2008, 09:29 AM

Scenery is nice between Portland and Cannon Beach, but there is no real reason to stop. Once in Cannon Beach though.... It doesn't get much better!

All this talk about food, but no mention of wine. You aren't into wine, are you, steffek2? The heart of Oregon's wine country is less than an hour from Portland.

There are options for either leisurely or jetboat rides on both the Willamette and Columbia Rivers.
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:15 AM

Last time I was in Portland we went to Saufie (I know I've butchered the spelling) Island. It is a quick drive from downtown. There are a number of family owned farms and you can buy fresh farm produce that you and your family pick themselves.

Our 3 yr old granddaughter LOVED picking blueberries -as well as being able to chase the farm cats, chickens, etc.
Jul 16th, 2008, 10:24 AM
mms

nanabee--You are close Sauvie Island...and yes, a great place for that!

Steffek--Beachbum is right, there really isn't anything on the way to Cannon Beach. Some people like to stop at Camp 18 for a meal, but they are enormous so go super hungry and plan on sharing An 18 year old boy told me a few weeks ago that even he could not finish his meal there...that says a lot, lol!
Jul 17th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Great additional info.. Beachbum, We are really not into wine,except for a glass at dinner, so will pass on that, thanks anyway. Do we need to reserve the river trips or just show up? Are there tours or interesting places to eat in Cannon Beach ?
I really appreciate all the great information.
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:21 AM

Lots of good places to dine in Cannon Beach and the surrounding area. Bistro, Gower St. Bistro, Wayfarer, Mo's (casual) and Newman's @ 988 are all very good. My favorite dining experiences on the Oregon Coast have been at the Stephanie Inn. They offer seatings at two different times, have a Fixed Prixe menu and require advance reservations.

In nearby Seaside where we have our beach cottage there is Taste of Tuscany for great Italian food, the Bigfoot Pub & Grub for steaks, ribs, BBQ, etc. Tora Sushi for great Japanese food and Norma's Ocean Diner for really good seafood in a casual ambiance. If you like pizza, go to Fultano's in Seaside, they are in a new building that is very spacious and pretty.

If you feel like exploring a bit, go to Astoria to the Bridgewater Bistro. It is a new restaurant in a beautiful space, right on the Columbia River. We have had two very good dinners there and have also enjoyed appetizers by the fire when the weather was cool. It is right in front of the Cannery Pier Hotel in Astoria. Have fun! ***kim***
Jul 17th, 2008, 08:30 PM

My sister-in-law was the one who took the boat ride, and I think it was a jet boat. I think she said that they stopped at Mulnomah falls, and also that they got soaked! They booked it upon arrival, I think. Someone else would know more than I about it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO