Search

Pools/ponds near Brewster?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2019, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pools/ponds near Brewster?

Hi,
I booked a two week house rental over a year ago for this July and am just now figuring out that sharks are going to be a problem for us. We have two little kids who will play in the sand some but no swimming for two weeks? Kick me.
I'm curious if there are any public pools, options to access Ocean's Edge resort as a non-guest or ponds that are accessible and good for smaller children (2 and 5) near Brewster, MA

Thanks!
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 07:52 PM
J62

Sharks are only going to be a problem for you if you let them. You should have healthy respect for sharks, but not be so paranoid as to stay out of the bay the entire stay.

Shark sightings in the bay side of Cape Cod are much less common then on the ocean side which is where the seal habituate. The one recently spotted was 5miles off shore. Beaches all have lookouts for sharks and will raise the flag if one is actually sighted.
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 04:34 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
There are 365 lakes on Cape Cod. Look at Pilgrim Lake in nearby S. Orleans as a place to take your small children.
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 05:51 PM

Going to the Cape and not going in the ocean would be like going to a 5 * restaurant and not eating . Realize that over 5 million people visit the Cape every year, i would guess 90% of them go in the sea.
True there are more shark sightings now because of the large seal population, but sharks attacks are still exceptionally rare. If you are still freaked out, take your kids to the warm, calm beaches along the south shore of the Cape - white sharks are never sighted there since it's not a seal habitat. There are kids in the water everywhere.
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 06:12 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We took our young kids to the lakes as they have much warmer, calmer water and offered swimming lessons there. . Of course we went to the ocean or bay beaches every day too.
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

We're back from the Cape and didn't get eaten! We definitely had a heightened sense of awareness though. We were on a private beach with no lifeguard so only went waist deep and kept our eyes on the water. Visited Race Point on a 90 degree day and absolutely nobody was in the water due to sightings. Nauset Beach was similar. More concern on the Seashore, but still concern on the bay and sound sides.
We did visit Nickerson Park and swam in their ponds.

Thanks for the advice and voices of reason!
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by LM3682
We're back from the Cape and didn't get eaten! We definitely had a heightened sense of awareness though. We were on a private beach with no lifeguard so only went waist deep and kept our eyes on the water. Visited Race Point on a 90 degree day and absolutely nobody was in the water due to sightings. Nauset Beach was similar. More concern on the Seashore, but still concern on the bay and sound sides.
We did visit Nickerson Park and swam in their ponds.

Thanks for the advice and voices of reason!
I visit the Cape every summer and I haven't kept up with this closely but I never even thought about it over the last few years except for Nauset, Race Point, Truro, etc. Is there any real concern down roughly from Barnstaple to the 'elbow'/chatham? both south coast and bay coast? E.g. Osterville, Craigville, Kalmus, Sandy Neck? Your post seems to suggest that there is.
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 09:23 AM

There is an app you can install and follow the activity. Yes, there is concern along the elbow as the app will indicate.

https://www.atlanticwhiteshark.org/download-sharktivity
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bette
There is an app you can install and follow the activity. Yes, there is concern along the elbow as the app will indicate.

https://www.atlanticwhiteshark.org/download-sharktivity
Thanks. Just one, single unconfirmed sighting north of Kalmus. Busy area so if there was real activity there, you'd think there would be more sightings. Absolutely nothing west of there or even east until Chatham/Monomoy. happy days on Oyster Harbours!